Is Translation Office 3000 a dummy program?
Initiator des Themas: Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Deutschland
Local time: 01:40
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

I downloaded the program that can be tested for 30 days.
Has anybody else gone beyond the stage of entering client information? Is that just a dummy version or the fully operational programm, I wonder...

1279 (X)
1279 (X)
Local time: 19:40
Try putting in some projects Jul 7, 2007

Martin,
I'm giving it a test run myself, and I have been able to enter projects and deadlines, etc. I think it is fully operational. (Although I can't seem to move my "projects" into "jobs," so I don't know what that's about!) Try putting in some jobs as you get them and see what happens.

[Edited at 2007-07-07 16:02]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 19:40
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
I tested before buying Jul 7, 2007

The 30-day evaluation version is the actual program, but it requires a license key to allow you to create an unlimited number of records. So, the evalaution version you are currently using is fully functional, except that there is a limit to the number of clients/jobs/invoices you can create. Otherwise, if you created a client, entered a job and want to invoice that job now, during your trial perid, you can, and if you received payment, you can also enter that, as if you had the full vers... See more
The 30-day evaluation version is the actual program, but it requires a license key to allow you to create an unlimited number of records. So, the evalaution version you are currently using is fully functional, except that there is a limit to the number of clients/jobs/invoices you can create. Otherwise, if you created a client, entered a job and want to invoice that job now, during your trial perid, you can, and if you received payment, you can also enter that, as if you had the full version. In my experience, it's just the number of records that is limited in the trial version.

When you decide to buy the program, you will only need to enter your license key in your existing installation to allow for an unlimited number of records to be entered.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Deutschland
Mitglied (2004)
Englisch > Slowenisch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
hint Jul 7, 2007

I can't seem to move my "projects" into "jobs"
(that was tough for me too) you need to go or open a specific project and then hit "new jobs". Project is namely NOT just one job - it is a collection of jobs. At the level my freelancing business is, the project level is between unnecessary and somewhat useful: I went for one client > one project (2007).

Regards and I hope it helps

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Mitglied (2004)
Italienisch > Deutsch
+ ...
I tried, too, ... Jul 7, 2007

When I had spent nearly more hours than I normally spend in one year for my accountability, only to understand how it works, I gave up and so far didn't buy the program, of course. Well, I was rather frustrated then because normally I don't have any problems in using a new software. I couldn't really figure out how to customize all these templates... Our invoices over here are indeed quite different from the US ones. But it's absolutely unimaginable that I spend another day to cancel these dozen... See more
When I had spent nearly more hours than I normally spend in one year for my accountability, only to understand how it works, I gave up and so far didn't buy the program, of course. Well, I was rather frustrated then because normally I don't have any problems in using a new software. I couldn't really figure out how to customize all these templates... Our invoices over here are indeed quite different from the US ones. But it's absolutely unimaginable that I spend another day to cancel these dozens of stupid fancy names first and then try whether I am able (perhaps, but I don't believe any more) to use the software...

And yet I thought it might be very useful! But maybe I am just too silly!:-)

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-07 18:32]
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Frankreich
Französisch > Hindi
+ ...
A suggestion Jul 7, 2007

Well, I've been using it for some time now and have found one way of using it without much training. I create a "quote", most of the time it's one "quote" a month. I keep on adding "jobs" to the "quote". This way everything is organised from time to time. And at the end of the month I just click on "Create Project Based on Quote" tab.

And it's more or less done. All I've to do is just enter the fact that I've completed these projects and that's it and invoice.

Of c
... See more
Well, I've been using it for some time now and have found one way of using it without much training. I create a "quote", most of the time it's one "quote" a month. I keep on adding "jobs" to the "quote". This way everything is organised from time to time. And at the end of the month I just click on "Create Project Based on Quote" tab.

And it's more or less done. All I've to do is just enter the fact that I've completed these projects and that's it and invoice.

Of course, you can also create different quotes on a weekly basis (or any other way).

Maybe there's a simpler way... I wish...
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:40
Mitglied
Spanisch
+ ...
Projects vs. Jobs Jul 7, 2007

Clara:

If you're disconcerted about the way TO3000 handles jobs and projects, please take a look at an example I posted in another thread. I hope it helps:

http://www.proz.com/post/564870#564870

The best way (for me) to manage projects, is to create a project first, then click on the Project button at the bottom of the screen, and finally add each job individ
... See more
Clara:

If you're disconcerted about the way TO3000 handles jobs and projects, please take a look at an example I posted in another thread. I hope it helps:

http://www.proz.com/post/564870#564870

The best way (for me) to manage projects, is to create a project first, then click on the Project button at the bottom of the screen, and finally add each job individually from the Project screen. It takes a little to get used to, specially when you're working on a '1 Project > 1 Job' basis, but if you have to translate several files for the same project, it's extremely useful.

Martin:

AFAIK, the demo version is fully functional but you can only enter up to 10 clients. At least, that's the way it used to be.

Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Translation Office 3000 a dummy program?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »