Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 11:02
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 24, 2013

Hello experts,

I have MS Word 2003. For the past few days, I am experiencing a peculiar problem. In MS Word, when I press File or View or other buttons on top, I am not properly presented drop down menu from where I can make the proper choices. For example, the drop down menu in File should present Save, Save as and Print etc. but I am shown a dim box (which is visible with great effort) in place of a proper drop down menu. I restart the computer, MS Word works fine for a few mi
... See more
Hello experts,

I have MS Word 2003. For the past few days, I am experiencing a peculiar problem. In MS Word, when I press File or View or other buttons on top, I am not properly presented drop down menu from where I can make the proper choices. For example, the drop down menu in File should present Save, Save as and Print etc. but I am shown a dim box (which is visible with great effort) in place of a proper drop down menu. I restart the computer, MS Word works fine for a few minutes, but the same problem recurs.

I get the same box when I right click on the text in a MS Word so as to copy or cut it. I don't encounter the same problem with other applications or web pages.

What is the reason behind this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2013-08-24 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Chopra Aug 24, 2013

Have you tried deleting the normal.dot file? This is what I would start with.

Natalia
P.S. If this wouldn't help I would suggest repairing the Office installation

[Edited at 2013-08-24 22:50 GMT]

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer, but... Aug 25, 2013

could you please guide me how I can delete the normal.dot file? What steps I should follow?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Natalie wrote:

Have you tried deleting the normal.dot file? This is what I would start with.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 07:32
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Deleting normal.dot Aug 25, 2013

1) In Word, under Tools > Options > File Locations tab, look to see the pathname for the normal.dot file; it is usually saved in 'Startup', I think (hint: if the path name is shown shortened ..., click 'Modify' to see the full pathname) — if necessary, note it down. Note these instructions are for Word XP, they may be different for the more recent versions.

2) Close Word

3) Using your usual file manager, explorer, etc., go and find the location of the normal.dot file,
... See more
1) In Word, under Tools > Options > File Locations tab, look to see the pathname for the normal.dot file; it is usually saved in 'Startup', I think (hint: if the path name is shown shortened ..., click 'Modify' to see the full pathname) — if necessary, note it down. Note these instructions are for Word XP, they may be different for the more recent versions.

2) Close Word

3) Using your usual file manager, explorer, etc., go and find the location of the normal.dot file, using the pathname you found above

4) Delete this file — or to be on the safe side, just rename it as something like oldnormal.dot

5) Next time you re-start Word, it will generate a clean, fresh normal.dot which ought to be free from any glitches.

Do note that the normal.dot file is where all your preferences (toolbars, languages, auto-correct options, etc. etc.) are stored — so if you have a great deal of customization, you will sadly lose it all; hence why it is often worth saving the old normal.dot file, so you can revert to it if this solution doesn't solve your initial problem.

PS: You ought to be able to find these instructions in the Word 'Help' file, which should give you instructions more specific to your own version.

[Edited at 2013-08-25 08:42 GMT]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems to be a Windows problem Aug 26, 2013

Hi experts,

I have noticed that there is problem with the Language Bar at the Task Bar also. Sometimes when I click on the Language Bar to change the language, it does not open and I have to use the Shift+Alt. It appears to be a Windows problem. Is there any solution for it? I have Windows XP.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why I am not shown proper Drop Down Menu

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »