Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:32
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 10, 2009

I am just finishing a large translation (200+ pages), which contains a table of contents at the beginning of the document and an index at the end.

My problem is, that the index will update when I "update fields", but not the table of contents.
I don't know much about TOC fields and field codes, but I do know that I must fix this table of contents manually at the end of my translation - I won't, however, have much time left and therfore I am looking for a English-German transl
... See more
I am just finishing a large translation (200+ pages), which contains a table of contents at the beginning of the document and an index at the end.

My problem is, that the index will update when I "update fields", but not the table of contents.
I don't know much about TOC fields and field codes, but I do know that I must fix this table of contents manually at the end of my translation - I won't, however, have much time left and therfore I am looking for a English-German translator, who might be able to advise me how to go about this and/or help me.

Very grateful for any help or input!
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use styles Jul 10, 2009

As I understand it, the Table of contents relies on styles, specifically Heading 1, 2, 3.
So all the headings in the document must be in one of these styles, and the text must not be in any Heading style. Then, when you select Insert / ( Reference) / Index and Tables / Table of Contents, your Table of Contents will be automatically updated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with bookmarks

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »