MT finally becomes visible in a commercial environment - what is your impression about its quality?
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
May 14, 2013

Dell (http://www.dell.com) used an MT approach to have their website localized. On first glance I was somehow impressed by the quality but after a few seconds there were translation errors popping into my eyes (German version). In my opinion too many to be acceptable, but this might be my personal judgment.

How do you rate the translations (also in the other languages) on the Dell website? Do you think
... See more
Dell (http://www.dell.com) used an MT approach to have their website localized. On first glance I was somehow impressed by the quality but after a few seconds there were translation errors popping into my eyes (German version). In my opinion too many to be acceptable, but this might be my personal judgment.

How do you rate the translations (also in the other languages) on the Dell website? Do you think it is "good enough"? Does it influence your perception of Dell as a company or would it influence your buying decision?

[Edited at 2013-05-14 05:04 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:27
Chinese to English
Different front pages May 14, 2013

It's a bit hard to judge, because the pages all seem to be different. The Chinese and German pages are the same shape, but have slightly different content. The English page has a different number of options.

I think a lot of the content must still be locally produced, because some of the news items contain Chinese phrases that never come up in MT. Just looking at the corporate solutions page, it's pretty well written, and I'm a bit suspicious of whether it's really MT. I ran a coupl
... See more
It's a bit hard to judge, because the pages all seem to be different. The Chinese and German pages are the same shape, but have slightly different content. The English page has a different number of options.

I think a lot of the content must still be locally produced, because some of the news items contain Chinese phrases that never come up in MT. Just looking at the corporate solutions page, it's pretty well written, and I'm a bit suspicious of whether it's really MT. I ran a couple of paragraphs from the English website through GT and Bing translator, and there are characteristic errors that do not appear on the Dell Chinese website. Could be that they've got better MT, but I'm not sure I believe it. Having said that, there are some very oddly phrased bits...

The website seems very usable in Chinese, so whatever they've done, it seems to be working.
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
As I understand it it is definietly MT May 14, 2013

At least that is what I take from this link:

http://www.welocalize.com/dell-welocalize-the-biggest-machine-translation-program-ever/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer66805

The German version is not too b
... See more
At least that is what I take from this link:

http://www.welocalize.com/dell-welocalize-the-biggest-machine-translation-program-ever/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer66805

The German version is not too bad, but it contains errors that for me would be reason enough never to work again with a human translator / or an agency who produced it.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Finnish site is not MT May 14, 2013

The Finnish site is condensed from the English but done professionally.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:27
Chinese to English
Not pure MT May 14, 2013

http://www.welocalize.com/wemt/

Performing MT post-editing services via selecting, training and certifying the right resources

Who knows, the end may come quicker than we think. But when the end comes, it's not just coming for us. A computer that can translate is a computer that understands, and when computers understand, nobody's job is safe.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:27
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Their Russian site is definitely not MT May 14, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I agree. In my opinion the Russian site is definitely not MT. It looks like it has been done by a professional translator, and a pretty good one at that.

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
I am amused May 14, 2013

by the fact that my language (Slovenian) is written in English, therefore not translated or localized. My job is safe for now

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Fully functional in Danish May 14, 2013

While the Danish site is not perfect and bears clear signs of having been translated (apart from the fact that some complete sections have yet to be translated from English), I would say that if this IS a machine translation, it is the best I have ever seen!

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:27
Member (2013)
English to Russian
That's not MT May 14, 2013

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I agree. In my opinion the Russian site is definitely not MT. It looks like it has been done by a professional translator, and a pretty good one at that.

It would have looked that way if it were an actual tailor-made translation. But if you look closely, you will see that the source webpage and the target webpage simply have different content. There's no reasonable pathway from one to the other even for a human translator.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
post-editing May 14, 2013

I suspect that it might not be pure MT but post-edited MT.

Michael

Francesco Varotto
Francesco Varotto  Identity Verified
Member (2021)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian version May 14, 2013

The quality of the Italian version is very poor in some pages, better in others. I would say that MT has been used extensively.
Some errors are definitely not human.
For instance in one of the first pages you have:
"Massima efficienza con nuovo il notebook..."
instead of
"Massima efficienza con il nuovo notebook..."

Francesco

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
related post: May 17, 2013

http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/249226-wwwbrusselbe_now_also_using_machine_translation_on_its_website.html

Michael

Lale Rehimova
Lale Rehimova  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 18:27
English to Russian
Russian is neither MT nor post-edited MT May 17, 2013

At least the pages I reviewed. It's marketing + technical field and current MT software can not produce any editable En>Ru translation for such texts.

[Edited at 2013-05-17 18:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT finally becomes visible in a commercial environment - what is your impression about its quality?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »