Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Have you seen any translator with CV in a dead language on Proz.com?
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:22
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2013

As per title. I remember seeing 'English (Middle)' somewhere, but it turned out to be normal 21st century English. I also remember visiting the profile of a high-powered Latin and Greek translator, but no CV in a dead language there. Well, I'm theoretically a Latin translator too (say, a handful of jobs a year), but don't have a CV in the language. This said, I'm pretty sure it would be remembered if someone, actually, at some point, put a thing like that on display. Can you recall any?

David Friemann, MA
David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
mh Jul 2, 2013

I would really love to put up a Middle English CV, but so far I have been unsuccessful in piecing it together from my Riverside Chaucer and the lessons I took during my studies. The usual stuff would probably work well, but how do you render something as modern as "Special IT Skills" or "Project Overview" in a language long dead?
Might be a project for when I'm on the couch with a broken wrist...knocking on wood it never comes to that...

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A more literal version of Information Technology? Jul 2, 2013

David Friemann, MA wrote:

I would really love to put up a Middle English CV, but so far I have been unsuccessful in piecing it together from my Riverside Chaucer and the lessons I took during my studies. The usual stuff would probably work well, but how do you render something as modern as "Special IT Skills" or "Project Overview" in a language long dead?
Might be a project for when I'm on the couch with a broken wrist...knocking on wood it never comes to that...

I don't think reducing computers to computation would work, as a programmer isn't exactly manning a calculus, but how about something like 'information technology' in whatever time-appropriate manner is available? For example 'knowledge tools'? Or something with records?

More poetically, perhaps some technology/industry of tomorrow/the future.

Reminds me how a young classical scholar/archaelogist tried to write 'computer' in Linear B with a bunch of grammar school nerds back when I was young and pretty. It was something like 'komopotera', but they managed. Then again, it was just transcription of the word, not translation of its meaning. :/

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:52
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How do you define a dead language? Jul 2, 2013

Is Latin a dead language, even though it is extensively used in science (think of scientific names) and law?

Is Sanskrit a dead language, even though it is extensively used for deriving words in all Indian languages, and also in most religious rituals?

I don't know about Latin, but I knew several people in proz.com who offer translation services in Sanskrit.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Could one borrow from Icelandic for IT skills? Jul 2, 2013

My mother was an English scholar and would occasionally entertain us with a lecture on language and wave her Icelandic grammar at us. (We children thought it looked old enough to date from the time of the sagas).

http://www.ling.gu.se/projekt/sprakfrageladan/english/varldskarta/eng-isl.html

While Icelandic prefers not to borrow from
... See more
My mother was an English scholar and would occasionally entertain us with a lecture on language and wave her Icelandic grammar at us. (We children thought it looked old enough to date from the time of the sagas).

http://www.ling.gu.se/projekt/sprakfrageladan/english/varldskarta/eng-isl.html

While Icelandic prefers not to borrow from other languages, this has never been a problem in English, and they were well on the way by the time Chaucer penned his tales and no doubt less immortal texts.

I ended up being quite grateful to my Latin teacher, but with Greek from one parent and English from another who thought 'time would tell' whether any 20th century writers were worth bothering about... (Said with a twinkle in her eye - she read any and all of them...) I went strictly for science and then modern languages!

Currently, Iceland’s language policy is focused on both preservation AND expansion so that the language can continually be used in all new and emerging settings such as science and technology. The Icelandic Language Council formally introduces new words (or “neologisms”). One example of a new Icelandic word is tölva, which means computer. It is formed from the word “tölur” (pl.) (numbers) and “va” which is the ending of the word “völva” (prophetess). Thus, the word for “computer” (prophetess of numbers) formed because the earliest computers were primarily used to calculate numbers and these computers seemed to have a supernatural ability for calculation as compared to humans. (http://www.iceland.is/)

http://alphaomegatranslations.com/2011/05/31/icelandic-language/
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Jul 2, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Is Latin a dead language, even though it is extensively used in science (think of scientific names) and law?

IMHO it is, but I acknowledge arguments to the contrary. The current usage is a bit like an esperanto kind of thing. Or like the use of Sumerian instead of Accadian in their religion even up to like 1st century BC, even though Sumer fell in 21st century BC and the last survivor states collapsed around 19th century at the latest.

Is Sanskrit a dead language, even though it is extensively used for deriving words in all Indian languages, and also in most religious rituals?

I think yes.

I don't know about Latin, but I knew several people in proz.com who offer translation services in Sanskrit.

Yeah, I'd expect there to be some. Do they have CVs in Sanskrit actually?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No CVs, but claimed native languages Jul 2, 2013

Well, I don't know about CVs, but at least one profile claimed 'Latin' as its native language — which seems a bit unlikely, really, given that they'd probably have no-one to speak to!

There was also someone who claimed they were native in Cree — nothing wrong with that, perfectly good language; until one realized they were in fact Greek and had just got it hopelessly wrong

David Friemann, MA
David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
haha Jul 2, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Well, I don't know about CVs, but at least one profile claimed 'Latin' as its native language — which seems a bit unlikely, really, given that they'd probably have no-one to speak to!

There was also someone who claimed they were native in Cree — nothing wrong with that, perfectly good language; until one realized they were in fact Greek and had just got it hopelessly wrong

this is priceless...my fiancée is going to wonder about my uncontrollable grinning any second now

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Native' speakers of Latin Jul 2, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Well, the only nation that has Latin as both an official language and anything close to spoken language is the almost totally italianised Vatican, but there are people whose parents only spoke Latin in common. No wonder, it's probably so exciting to all those young classical scholars to be able to flirt – or have deep discussions – in Latin, especially when they have no other option to communicate (though I'd find it strange if they didn't know at least a smidge of conversational English). With Latin spoken home, I'd say those children definitely have Latin as their first language, but the claim to being a native speaker is still more of a pretence.

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:22
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I am one of those offering Sanskrit translation Jul 2, 2013

but to prepare a CV in Sanskrit would be totally pointless. In my opinion my CV merely serves a pragmatic purpose of providing relevant information about myself and my services. However, it is not a platform on which I wish to demonstrate my linguistic competence in Sanskrit. I translate English into Japanese and I don't even have a CV in Japanese because no one has asked for it. On the other hand, if, for argument's sake, 90% of my clients were based in Germany, I would consider preparing my CV... See more
but to prepare a CV in Sanskrit would be totally pointless. In my opinion my CV merely serves a pragmatic purpose of providing relevant information about myself and my services. However, it is not a platform on which I wish to demonstrate my linguistic competence in Sanskrit. I translate English into Japanese and I don't even have a CV in Japanese because no one has asked for it. On the other hand, if, for argument's sake, 90% of my clients were based in Germany, I would consider preparing my CV in German (though unlikely).

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that almost all English to Sanskrit job requests that I get are for tattoos, presumably because (a) Sanskrit is a 'dead' language and (2) the script clients request the translations delivered in (देवनागरी) looks exotic enough for tattoos.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I know about that one. Jul 3, 2013

Tomoyuki Kono wrote:

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that almost all English to Sanskrit job requests that I get are for tattoos, presumably because (a) Sanskrit is a 'dead' language and (2) the script clients request the translations delivered in (देवनागरी) looks exotic enough for tattoos.

Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Middle English composition Jul 3, 2013

David Friemann, MA wrote:

I would really love to put up a Middle English CV, but so far I have been unsuccessful in piecing it together from my Riverside Chaucer and the lessons I took during my studies.

— Bill Nash has given us a great example of how to do it, with his fictitious bard ‘Umffrei’:

Ha, vakum clenere, synge thi songe,

A luvsom laye hyt ys, I wene.

Wyth brethynges amorous and stronge

Thou makest mone a mornynge longe

Til all mi hows ys clene.

Then welcum, welcum, vakum-wight

That suckest uppe the mucke aright.

A serpente ys thi luvelie necke,

Thi bodie ys a litel bulle;

On duste thow dynest, manye a pecke,

Thow gobblest everie spotte and specke,

Thi belye waxeth fulle.

Then welcum, welcum vakum-wight

That suckest uppe the mucke aright.

Foteless thow farest thurgh mi halle,

Thow grazest on the grittie grownde,

And, grettest wondyrment of alle,

Thi tayle thow pluggest yn a walle,

Yf anye poynte be fownde.

Then welcum, welcum, vakum-wight

That sukest uppe the mucke aright.

A derksum closet ys thi den,

Wherin thow liggest stocke-stille

Til hit be Saterday, and then

Thow farest foorth, and alle men

Cryen, wyth gode wille,

Ha, welcum, welcum vakum-wight

That suckest up the mucke aright.

[Edited at 2013-07-03 07:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-03 07:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-03 07:48 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
Really?! Jul 3, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

IMHO it is, but I acknowledge arguments to the contrary. The current usage is a bit like an esperanto kind of thing.

You certainly can't call Latin dead with the Catholic Church drafting all its documents in Latin and requiring translations for the whole world!

If it's changed, that doesn't really affect the question. Off the top of my head I know that English and Greek have varied enormously during their existence; I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh LOL, great one Jul 3, 2013

Incidentally, I've just found this ('To a Fishfinger'). It's not Middle English but heavy-duty Victorian, so technically not in a dead language.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've been seriously tempted.... Jul 4, 2013

...to offer translation services into and from Pig Latin, but there's not much of a market for it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you seen any translator with CV in a dead language on Proz.com?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »