Italy
Local time: 10:44
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
kantor and machines Nov 20, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

PS
I would strongly advise AGAINST the "kantor" (small exchange office, run by private people). The rate you get there is far lower than the official exchange rate, so even with the cc charge for abroad use you get more money. My family and me are reularly in Cracow and this is the experience we made.

[Edited at 2005-11-20 17:23]

Well, some of them have good rates, you just need time to check them out. Actually, I usually get cash from machines or pay with my credt card as I do (almost) everywhere.

Poland is like the UK, a country not part from the Eurozone, so Jerzy's absolutely right: you can't pay in Euros in the UK.
Too lazy, I desperately tried at Stansted. No way!

Paola

Branka Bucconi
Branka Bucconi  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dinner on Thursday Nov 20, 2005

Hi Robert,

Please add me to the list of participants if possible.
Thanks.

See you there.

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
About Zloty Nov 21, 2005

Dear Jerzy,

I've just called my bank to get some Zloty (I live in Italy) and I was told that this currency is not among those negotiated here, so we cannot buy any.
I was adviced to buy US Dollars?????

I think I'll go there with my Euros and see what happens!
Pamela

P.S.: I've got some Sterling Pounds. Do you think they may be useful?

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Zloty / banking hours Nov 21, 2005

Dear Jerzy,

I have just received the same info from my Spanish bank.

My flight arrives at midday, so I've got a quick question:
Do Polish banks / saving banks open in the afternoon? (In Spain the majority don't.)
Otherwise it might be better to change money directly at the airport. (As the Kantor is not recommendable.)

Hasta pronto
Anna

Pamela Brizzola wrote:

Dear Jerzy,

I've just called my bank to get some Zloty (I live in Italy) and I was told that this currency is not among those negotiated here, so we cannot buy any.
I was adviced to buy US Dollars?????

I think I'll go there with my Euros and see what happens!
Pamela

P.S.: I've got some Sterling Pounds. Do you think they may be useful?

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Bank at the airport Nov 21, 2005

Bona dit, Anna!
Balice Airport is an international airport, so
I dont think that they have a siesta.
http://www.lotnisko-balice.pl/eng/warto_wiedziec.asp
A branch of Bank Przemysłowo Handlowy PBK S.A. is open form Monday to Friday between 7.45 and 21.00. You can also exchange money here.

Bis bald.
Steffi

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You ca use the cash machine at the airport at any time Nov 21, 2005

or many cash machines in the city, located at many important points.

Regards
Jerzy

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Border exchange office (= Travelex) instead of banks Nov 21, 2005

Maybe the situation in Italy and Spain is the same as in Holland; that is: for most foreign currency you go best to a border exchange office (part of the international organisation Travelex), which you don't find only at the border-crossings, but in most big cities.
This way, you can reduce the to-do-list for your destination.

Checking the internet, I find that Travelex is not present in all countries. I like them because they're specializing in foreign money: so no wa
... See more
Maybe the situation in Italy and Spain is the same as in Holland; that is: for most foreign currency you go best to a border exchange office (part of the international organisation Travelex), which you don't find only at the border-crossings, but in most big cities.
This way, you can reduce the to-do-list for your destination.

Checking the internet, I find that Travelex is not present in all countries. I like them because they're specializing in foreign money: so no waiting times for regular currencies, and more pros.
http://www.travelex.com/

[Edited at 2005-11-21 16:50]
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Zloty and exchange offices Nov 21, 2005

I would agree with Jerzy on this.

The most convenient way is to get money at cash machines (for the small costs such as coffee, lunch etc.) and pay with your credit card whenever you can...

You cannot pay with Euro in Croatia either. However, you can get money at ANY cash machine or pay with ALMOST ALL credit cards, so I guess that the situation is the same in Poland and getting Zloty should not be such a problem... Honestly, I do not worry about this at all, we are l
... See more
I would agree with Jerzy on this.

The most convenient way is to get money at cash machines (for the small costs such as coffee, lunch etc.) and pay with your credit card whenever you can...

You cannot pay with Euro in Croatia either. However, you can get money at ANY cash machine or pay with ALMOST ALL credit cards, so I guess that the situation is the same in Poland and getting Zloty should not be such a problem... Honestly, I do not worry about this at all, we are luckily in the European Union/Europe!

[Edited at 2005-11-21 16:05]

[Edited at 2005-11-22 01:18]
Collapse

Elena Ayuso (X)
Elena Ayuso (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
May I join pleaaase?? Nov 22, 2005

Hi Robert!

Am I still in time to join in the "swiniarnia" (piglet issue)?

Eugenio Llorente
Eugenio Llorente  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dinner yes, with my wife Nov 22, 2005

Eugenio Llorente wrote:
I will arrive one day before previously planned to have an extra day for strolling around in Krakow, so I'll be there on wednesday afternoon.
Mariana Moreira wrote:

I think it's a wonderful idea, so let do it. I'll have to check my flights as I think I arrive late in the afternoon, but if we decide on a meeting point and hours, it would be great

It's true, I've checked I arrive at 20.00 coming from Frankfurt

[Edited at 2005-10-13 00:32]

[Edited at 2005-10-13 11:16]

I will attend the conference with my half, I am sure she'd enjoy a guided tour with a proffessional guide. She'd appreciate some explaining in Spanish, as also was suggested by the moderator. Thanks. Eugenio Llorente Barrueco.

Gabrielle Leyden
Gabrielle Leyden  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to English
+ ...
1 more for dinner Nov 22, 2005

I'd like to meet people for dinner, too, but will probably arrive in Krakow around 6 p.m., dump my stuff at my hotel (in town) and then stop by Pod Anio'ami (?) to see where the overflow is going. OK? I'll be at the Kazimiercz, in case anyone else is there, too. I suppose it's possible to leave a message (I speak Russian, not Polish, but hope to muddle through).

Gabrielle Leyden
French -> English
Russian -> English

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Portable extra tables Nov 22, 2005

Restaurant's management said they will have them ready. This way a room will accomodate more people. If additional registrants flow in at current rate, there will be a problem anyway...

This a very pleasant type of a problem.

[Edited at 2005-11-22 17:31]

Aleksandra Kwasnik
Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
Thursday evening Nov 22, 2005

Ee-hm,
Alicja Butkiewicz-Hübscher and me would like to join you in "Pod aniolami" on Thursday evening too...
Are there some standing places left?

Aleksandra

PS: What time are you all meeting?

Jadwiga Anna
Jadwiga Anna  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Great, I am coming. Jadwiga Nov 23, 2005

Robert Zawadzki wrote:

To have a restaurant prepare a special dish I have to order it a week in advance (they must start marinating meat). Therefore I will place this order on Nov 16th, taking into account people, who send me e-mails by then. We will be able to accomodate last minute changes making portions smaller (I wouldn't recommend making them larger - as far as I remember it was not a trifle to cope with standard size, but some time passed since I've been there for the last time).

So far there are 8 people on the list (including myself).

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Everyone's invited Nov 23, 2005

I guess the number of people surpassed all expectations. The restaurant management says they will cope with it, however we may not be able to fit into a single room (even standing). Looks like it may be the conference session, most people signed to attend.

As some of you were asking about the location, a map is on
firmy.pkt.pl/firma/pod_aniolami__restauracja_a3J5MDZfODk2NF9DYXRlcmluZ19fYWRzMQ==.html

OK. I give up correcting this URL. You have to manually delete '%20' from the address line.

Then click on 'Mapa'

[Edited at 2005-11-23 08:38]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activities for partners of the 3rd Proz.com conference participants

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »