Thread poster: Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 13:02
English to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2007

I am bit puzzled why it takes so long these days to attach simple (short) files to free accounts such as hotmail or yahoo.

I know the attachments are scanned beforehand. But it still takes very long...

Could it have anything to do with my file names, which are very long...

The agency always insists on keeping their original file names...

I must add that my hotmail account is even a paid account, so theoretically I should be able to attach 2 Meg
... See more
I am bit puzzled why it takes so long these days to attach simple (short) files to free accounts such as hotmail or yahoo.

I know the attachments are scanned beforehand. But it still takes very long...

Could it have anything to do with my file names, which are very long...

The agency always insists on keeping their original file names...

I must add that my hotmail account is even a paid account, so theoretically I should be able to attach 2 Megabytes...

Al Hamdulellah, I have never needed to attach such a big file - - as this may take up to a year to attach...
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
put the files into a zip file and give it a short name Jun 12, 2007

I don't know if your guess is right regarding file names, but you could try to put the translated files into one unique compressed file (zip) and give it a name of your choice.
Another advantage is that the size of the attachment will be smaller.

The long time could have something to do with your Internet connection, which is normally much slower when you upload (or send) that when you download (or receive).

Helene Martin-Hernandez
Helene Martin-Hernandez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:02
English to French
+ ...
Outlook Jun 12, 2007

Hello Martin,

I hope it's not too hot in Morocco

If you want to gain some time, maybe you could try to set up your outlook so that you can receive and send your emails from there. That's what I do with my yahoo and tiscali account, and it's made my life much easier!!!

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 20:02
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
yousendit.com? Jun 12, 2007

Hi Martin,

You could always try these guys, I've found them to be reliable and secure, and the upload time was pretty fast.
http://www.yousendit.com/
Good luck!

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
Local time: 14:02
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mail blues, elohel Jun 12, 2007

It doesn't have anything to do with the length of file names. It's just that either your upload speed is very low (complain to your internet provider, I guess), or hotmail is just a terrible mail service (likely). Switch to gmail or something, or use the mailbox of your internet provider (most providers give you a free e-mail address).

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 21:02
Italian to English
Hi Jun 12, 2007

Hello Martin. I had that problem with my free Hotmail account, but a technician friend of mine pointed out that in my case, it was a PC problem and nothing else, Once I fixed that, my attachments went faster on Hotmail and on other mail accounts I have.

Rob

[Edited at 2007-06-12 09:41]

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:02
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
rapidshare Jun 12, 2007

You could also try this one:
http://www.rapidshare.com/

Even faster, I think.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Badly written software is the problem! Jun 12, 2007

I used to use a hotmail account but switched as soon as a friend invited me to open a gmail account. Hotmail was always too slow, and as you rightly pointed out, attaching files to my messages would take forever, even for the smallest files.

I believe it's just how their software works. My advice would be to switch.

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:02
German to English
email software Jun 12, 2007

This is one reason, why I use email software. I can write the email, attach whichever files, and it's stored in the outbox in seconds. Then, when the email software checks the account, it sends, while I'm working on the next thing. Or, I can force the email software to send immediately. Either way, once it's in the outbox, I don't have to think about it.

Added bonus, it puts all of my accounts in one place. No more, "Oh, I want to check hotmail", open web site, log in, log out, "Now
... See more
This is one reason, why I use email software. I can write the email, attach whichever files, and it's stored in the outbox in seconds. Then, when the email software checks the account, it sends, while I'm working on the next thing. Or, I can force the email software to send immediately. Either way, once it's in the outbox, I don't have to think about it.

Added bonus, it puts all of my accounts in one place. No more, "Oh, I want to check hotmail", open web site, log in, log out, "Now check gmail", "Now check my ISP account", etc. Proper email software automates all of that.

Plenty of freeware: Outlook Express, Pegasus, Thunderbird, for starters. Outlook, if you have MS Office. (Nope, Outlook Express & Outlook are two different animals with similar names, like man and woman.)

Downside: you have to figure out their server names and ports and configure the software: mail.hotmail.com, pop.gmail.com, or whatever. Usually, the services have that information in a searchable FAQ file including instructions for common software.
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Gmail is worse Jun 12, 2007

Some e-mail providers are slow but with G-mail it's a real gamble... at times you can't even attach the documents!!!

Here's a thread regarding attachments and G-mail:

http://www.proz.com/post/572474#572474

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Untrue Jun 12, 2007

You seem to have more of this issue than some other people.

I've never had any problems attaching documents in almost 3 years of use. The only issue I've had has been downloading .rar archives, however, I know a very simple workaround.

Have you actually used Hotmail to substantiate your claim that Gmail is *worse*?

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
To Mikhail Jun 12, 2007

Yes, I've used hotmail and I still use it.

And I've never had this problem with hotmail or any other e-mail account. Except once, when someone managed to access it and changed the password.:-( Thank god, I could actually get my e-mail account back.

And if you look at that thread, evidently I'm not the only one who has these problems.

And, I have been using G-mail since 30 August 2004. And this problem started a couple of months back. And anyways, wh
... See more
Yes, I've used hotmail and I still use it.

And I've never had this problem with hotmail or any other e-mail account. Except once, when someone managed to access it and changed the password.:-( Thank god, I could actually get my e-mail account back.

And if you look at that thread, evidently I'm not the only one who has these problems.

And, I have been using G-mail since 30 August 2004. And this problem started a couple of months back. And anyways, why would I lie? I'm not an ISP or another free e-mail provider!!!

In fact, G-mail is my preferred account because of the storage capacity as well as the method of creating groups etc.

Of course, it has great features (but other e-mail providers too are trying to catch up). But there are some problems that can not be ignored...

How does one justify the fact that same document can be sent at one time and not at another? And it can be sent through another e-mail account (free).

It worked great during the testing phase when you could get it only through invitations. But maybe there are some technical problems because of the increased traffic now that anyone can get it without invitation. I'm not a technical expert, but this is something that I've noticed.

As a user, I guess I can safely share my experience with others. Right?
Collapse

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am prepared to pay a small amount... Jun 12, 2007

Well, as Ritu correctly said, it seems anything that's free these days will attract the masses.

The more people are using it, the slower it becomes. I know that I don't have a very fast connection here in Morocco, but just logging into my hotmail account takes ages...

The other thing I noticed is if one has a weak connection that will just cause endless problems i.e. regarding logging in or uploading files...

When I went to one of the cyber cafs today I had
... See more
Well, as Ritu correctly said, it seems anything that's free these days will attract the masses.

The more people are using it, the slower it becomes. I know that I don't have a very fast connection here in Morocco, but just logging into my hotmail account takes ages...

The other thing I noticed is if one has a weak connection that will just cause endless problems i.e. regarding logging in or uploading files...

When I went to one of the cyber cafs today I had no problem when I logged in because the connection is so much faster.

But after all, I have email now at home and don't want to go to a cyber caf all the time....

So if anybody wants to suggest alternative email providers, I am open to any suggestions...

Gmx has been recommended to me by a translator colleague, but I am not so sure since it is also free...

I'd be prepared to pay a small amount...
Collapse

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I have good experience Jun 13, 2007

with GMX and for very large files with yousendit.com. No problems at all for them.

Sybille

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
German to English
Good experience with G-mail so far Jun 13, 2007

Hi,

I've sent some very "heavy" documents using G-mail without any problems whatsoever, and also sent an e-mail with an attachment today and got a reply within minutes saying it had reached.

But you never know, I may have Ritu's experience sooner or later too.

Regards,
Niraja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Takes so long to attach a file to free email accounts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »