Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Does anyone know what has happened to Microsoft Language Portal?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:56
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2023

This text is displayed in a red-coloured background now furthest up on Microsoft Language Portal:

"Terminology Research Portal will be deprecated by June FY'23. Please direct all UI string related queries to respective product teams"

And in the drop-down lists where I normally can switch language (I sometimes switch to search from German to English, normally otherwise I use the language pairs from English to Swedish), I can not open the drop-down list to change language
... See more
This text is displayed in a red-coloured background now furthest up on Microsoft Language Portal:

"Terminology Research Portal will be deprecated by June FY'23. Please direct all UI string related queries to respective product teams"

And in the drop-down lists where I normally can switch language (I sometimes switch to search from German to English, normally otherwise I use the language pairs from English to Swedish), I can not open the drop-down list to change language selections. It's "freezed" on "English-Swedish".
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Elena Feriani
Luca Colangelo
expressisverbis
Champa Udagama

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:56
Danish to English
+ ...
No idea Apr 12, 2023

Just saw it. Maybe we're supposed to ask ChatGPT instead now. Microsoft is said to have added it to Bing search in Windows 11.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
MS Developer Network Apr 13, 2023

I have read that you have to open an account on MS Developer Network, for which you have to develop apps ...

Alternatives: Download the tbx files for your languages or use a CAT tool that provides an API for the glossaries.

Marijke Singer

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Off topic Apr 13, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

I have read that you have to open an account on MS Developer Network, for which you have to develop apps ...

Alternatives: Download the tbx files for your languages or use a CAT tool that provides an API for the glossaries.

I deprecate the misuse of the verb "to deprecate".

neilmac
Cecília Alves
Emanuele Vacca
Anton Konashenok

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Fredrik Apr 13, 2023

I have just tried switching languages and it worked. I first used EN-PT and then switched to FR-PT without any glitch. Was it an occasional bug?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Disappointment Apr 13, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Really? You were not making any comment on “freezed”?

Christopher Schröder
Gianna Senesi
Tom in London

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Deprecate vs discontinue Apr 13, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

It sounds more as if they meant 'discontinued'. As for 'deprecate', its use in the IT world 'to indicate that (a software feature) has been superseded and should be avoided' (Collins) is accepted and documented.

Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
brnadette
Eduardo Vera Palomino

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Link and email Apr 13, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

I sent them a polite email to the email address mentioned, [email protected], to explain the problems this will cause.

Gerard de Noord
Ilona Rytilahti
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:56
Greek to English
Well established Apr 14, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

[I]ts use in the IT world 'to indicate that (a software feature) has been superseded and should be avoided' (Collins) is accepted and documented.

Indeed. From my personal experience this usage dates back at least twenty years, and it probably goes back a lot longer.

Dan Lucas
Mr. Satan (X)
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:56
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It seems the warning has disappeared Apr 19, 2023

I check the Portal almost everyday and since yesterday or so, the warning does not appear anymore. Should we rely on that?

Thomas T. Frost
Jaime Oriard

Miguel González Álvarez
Miguel González Álvarez
Spain
Local time: 15:56
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hear they're discontinuing it Apr 19, 2023

Someone told me today that they're taking it down soon, and that we can download the terminology collection before that happens

expressisverbis

Betty Revelioti
Betty Revelioti
Greece
Local time: 16:56
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
The announcement appeared again a while ago Apr 27, 2023

Unfortunately, the announcement appeared again a while ago.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Error May 1, 2023

Their website takes ages to load now, and I get an error.

"An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.96361602.1682951643.1898355e"

I don't think it's right to discontinue a terminology portal like this one while so many users and translators like us make so much use of this tool.
Downloading the glossaries or the termbases is not enough, because some of the information is not included there.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Works May 1, 2023

It works here. Try to clear your Microsoft biscuits if it continues. Maybe they've become rancid.

As for taking down the site, Microsoft isn't exactly known as a company that listens to its users or consistently makes meaningful decisions. Remember the Windows 8 disaster.

As mere translators, an almost extinct species to be annihilated by MT and AI any minute according to tech fanatics, we don't control $$$$$$$$$ enough to be of any particular interest to the company. G
... See more
It works here. Try to clear your Microsoft biscuits if it continues. Maybe they've become rancid.

As for taking down the site, Microsoft isn't exactly known as a company that listens to its users or consistently makes meaningful decisions. Remember the Windows 8 disaster.

As mere translators, an almost extinct species to be annihilated by MT and AI any minute according to tech fanatics, we don't control $$$$$$$$$ enough to be of any particular interest to the company. Graciously allowing us to download the existing glossaries and use them at no charge is probably as far as they will go. Just imagine the sleepless nights it could cause the poor billionaires if they had to keep financing such a hi-tech and costly lookup site. Cutting the translator hoi polloi loose and letting them fend for themselves with decaying downloaded glossaries will also help moderate competition with AI. They’ve just invested $10 billion in Chat GPT. Surely they don’t want to risk that low-tech human translators become party poopers. Funny the online glossary is being discontinued shortly after that investment. Coincidence?

brake nobody

[Edited at 2023-05-01 15:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-05-01 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Wojciech Sztukowski
Jean Lachaud
Christel Zipfel
Emanuele Pezone

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Possible Alternative May 2, 2023

There’s an open-source multilingual database for computer terminologies, managed by The Carpentries.
https://glosario.carpentries.org/

It’s nowhere near as comprehensive as Microsoft Language Portal’s entries (yet!). But being an open-source project, you can give your contribution
... See more
There’s an open-source multilingual database for computer terminologies, managed by The Carpentries.
https://glosario.carpentries.org/

It’s nowhere near as comprehensive as Microsoft Language Portal’s entries (yet!). But being an open-source project, you can give your contributions to make it more complete. Below is the link to their GitHub repo, in case anyone is interested.
https://github.com/carpentries/glosario

[Edited at 2023-05-02 08:35 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Daryo

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know what has happened to Microsoft Language Portal?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »