Past papers for diploma in translation
Thread poster: rfg199
rfg199
rfg199
English
Jul 16, 2004

Hello, just wondering if anybody has any past papers for the IOL diploma in tanslation (German-English) which they could e-mail/send me. I am thinking about the course and don't know whether I am of the right standard.
Thanks
Ruth

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-16 18:29]

Karine Piera
Karine Piera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
English to French
+ ...
IOL website Jul 16, 2004

Hi Ruth,
If you go to the IOL website, you can download the past papers, at least in French and in English, so there is a strong possibility that they are available in German as well.
The deadline to register to sit the January 2005 exam is 31st July, so you would have to make up your mind quite fast.
Good luck

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:35
French to English
+ ...
Mail order Jul 16, 2004

Hello Ruth

I am preparing the Diploma at the moment, but in French-English so I can't help you with past papers. You can order them from the IoL website (www.iol.org.uk) at the fairly outrageous price of £5 each (that's what I did - 4 years' worth of exam papers and examiners' reports came to £40!). They have an order form that you can download.

Good luck
Angela

rfg199 wrote:

Hello, just wondering if anybody has any past papers for the IOL diploma in tanslation (German-English) which they could e-mail/send me. I am thinking about the course and don't know whether I am of the right standard.
Thanks
Ruth

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Check the IOL webpage Jul 16, 2004

Hello, check the Iol webpage (www.iol.org.uk, if memory serves me right) and they now have a link to download the past papers for free.

Hope it helps.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not the right standard? Jul 16, 2004

The exam is - relatively - very expensive. So if you have doubts, I suggest you do an online course, costs about the same as the exam, BUT you actually learn lots about translating, AND you can get an objective opinion as to whether you are ready or not (and ready or not to translate).

I did mine with IH Barcelona, but I know City University London does online prep courses, and I am sure there are many other places offering prep.

Luck:-)

Scott_C
Scott_C
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Have some for Paper 3, Law option Jul 19, 2004

I have some past papers for the Law option in Paper 3. If these could help, let me know. And good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Past papers for diploma in translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »