Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Side-by-side view is better -- says who?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 12, 2012

G'day everyone

In another forum a user claims that there is documented proof that the side-by-side view in CAT tools produce on average a 30% increase in productivity over the above-and-below view. Do any of you know of studies that tried to determine this?

I myself find the side-by-side view to be a burden on both productivity and consistency, but I suppose this may be because my two languages use similar sentence constructions.

Thanks
Samuel

christela (X)
christela (X)
Same as you Jan 12, 2012

Side by side construction makes me proofread faster - and I do not see the errors.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Nonsense in my case Jan 12, 2012

For me, the above-and-below view has always been better for translation. Especially when there are a lot of tags, it's much easier to follow the tags in this view than in the side-by-side layout.

When I switched over from Trados 2007 (with the traditional layout) to Trados Studio 2009 (with the side-by-side view), it improved my productivity, but certainly not due to the side-by-side environment.

OTOH, I find the side-by-side view better for proofreading purposes.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please support us here Jan 12, 2012

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048

This is one of the vital requests of all (at least of many) people working with Studio.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Is there a search term or an entry we can vote for? Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048

This is one of the vital requests of all (at least of many) people working with Studio.

Hi Jerzy, is there already a suggestion we can vote for, or do we have to make a new request?

I have tried several times to find one, but have to click log in and start over each time. I am very happy to make a new request of course, but the force of numbers may be stronger if we appear together.

(That is why I always search here before going to SDL's own site when I have problems - it is often easier to find an answer!!!)

Added later:
Found it:

Click Jerzy's link, select Top Contributors, select Stanislav Pokorny, and scroll down.
My vote is there!

[Edited at 2012-01-12 12:23 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Horizontal layout Jan 12, 2012

I is called "Horizontal layout " and if you go to "Most voted", it is the sixths position there.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Layouts Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
It is called "Horizontal layout"...

There are many ways in which CAT tools can lay out the text.

Some tools combine the horizontal and vertical. For example, in GTT one can select "vertical" view which turns the screen into two frames, so that the one is above the other, but the edit fields are still far from each other, and one still has to scroll both frames individually. Another example is something like Pootle and Virtaal in which the view is vertical, but the current segment is horizontal (in Pootle the current segment is both horizontal and vertical). Some tools offer a "view" that is not editable but which displays the content in another way.

I'm not sure which of these scenarios were tested by the people who claim 30% increase in productivity, and obviously there may be other things to take into consideration too.

For example, some translation tools for volunteers put whole paragraphs or sections into a single edit field, which (in the horizontal view) leads to a lot of scrolling. However, professional translator tools often segment by sentence, so the scroll factor is no longer there.

In some of the previous forum posts that I have found on this topic, it is claimed that the ability to filter the vertical view gives it an advantage over the horizontal, but IMO there is not technical reason why a horizontal viewing tool can't offer filtering too -- after all, if tags can be hidden (or reduced), so can whole segments.

Those who want SDL to implement horizontal view, do you want a TagEditor-like view or do you simply want an option to display the text as two horizontal frames?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The best solution in my opinion... Jan 12, 2012

Would be to keep the vertical layout as it is and add an extra editing window (which could be switched on and off) with horizontal layout, exactly as MemoQ does.
I do not know who claims 30% productivity increase and TBH I cannot imagine how to measure that, as to have trustworthy results you would need to translate the same text in two different tools. This must be done by the same person with the same daily mood, abilities and so on. Quite difficult to obtain I would say.
So this c
... See more
Would be to keep the vertical layout as it is and add an extra editing window (which could be switched on and off) with horizontal layout, exactly as MemoQ does.
I do not know who claims 30% productivity increase and TBH I cannot imagine how to measure that, as to have trustworthy results you would need to translate the same text in two different tools. This must be done by the same person with the same daily mood, abilities and so on. Quite difficult to obtain I would say.
So this can only be an estimate value.
I agree however, that Studio did increase my productivity, however I would use a completely different wording for that: Studio makes it much easier to achieve same results in less time with better quality and much less effort. That simply means that I do not translate really more with Studio, but I can do it better - doing it better means however also doing things Iźve never done before: QA checking to such extent I would not think off in Trados 2007. This of course costs time, but I have it because I use Studio.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Mixed environment... Jan 12, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

For me, the above-and-below view has always been better for translation. Especially when there are a lot of tags, it's much easier to follow the tags in this view than in the side-by-side layout.

It's exactly my opinion.
It's far easier to compare this kind of segments in the above-and-below view.

So why, in my DVX, I always select the horizontal for the active segment.
Namely, Edit in separate text area and Split text area vertically in Tools, Options, Environment.
In this way I have the advantages of both layouts i.e. the above-and-below for translation and side-by-side for context.
This kind of layout can be selected also in some other tools, e.g. memoQ.

When I switched over from Trados 2007 (with the traditional layout) to Trados Studio 2009 (with the side-by-side view), it improved my productivity, but certainly not due to the side-by-side environment.

I have no doubt any modern tool is more productive than the legacy Trados...
In fact, I always hated the traditional Trados-like layout with alternate source-target-source-target strings which was counterproductive for me because of a poor presentation of context.

So, generally, I tend to agree the pure side-by-side environment is better than the above-and-below one, i.e. I prefer any grid like environment to the old Trados like ones.

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
That simply means that I do not translate really more with Studio, but I can do it better - doing it better means however also doing things I've never done before...

That's exactly my situation: I don't translate more words per day, but I have more time to spend on QA. But again, it's definitely not thanks to the side-by-side layout.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thank you Jan 12, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote:
My vote is there!

Thank you, Christine; much appreciated.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A very old DV idea... Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

memoQ just follows the very old Déjà Vu concept.
It was available already in DV3, released in the XXth century

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
This would be nice to have in Studio too Jan 12, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
So why, in my DVX, I always select the horizontal for the active segment.
Namely, Edit in separate text area and Split text area vertically in Tools, Options, Environment.
In this way I have the advantages of both layouts i.e. the above-and-below for translation and side-by-side for context.
This kind of layout can be selected also in some other tools, e.g. memoQ.

Indeed; this is a feature I'd like to see in Studio too. The "advantages of both layouts i.e. the above-and-below for translation and side-by-side for context", as GG put it, are unquestionable.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I prefer side-by-side... Jan 12, 2012

... but I don't see why people shouldn't have the option.

I've voted for Stanislav's idea.

G.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I like table layout Jan 12, 2012

I prefer table layout. Even if I do most of my work still in WFC I always choose table view in WFP. And I'm used to SDLX. Autopropagation is easier to accomplish in table layout, I would guess.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Side-by-side view is better -- says who?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »