Cleaning multiple documents simultaneously with WFC 8.33
Thread poster: Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 03:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2021

One of the (many) annoying issues I've discovered with WFC 8.33 is that I can rarely clean more than one Word document at a time, which slows the process down quite a lot if I have a series of files to wrap and deliver together.
I'm using Word 2019 and upgraded both Word and WF from much older versions late last year, so I'm still coping with a 13-to-18-year leap forward in using both products. There may be a hidden command for this, but I've yet to find it.

Example:
... See more
One of the (many) annoying issues I've discovered with WFC 8.33 is that I can rarely clean more than one Word document at a time, which slows the process down quite a lot if I have a series of files to wrap and deliver together.
I'm using Word 2019 and upgraded both Word and WF from much older versions late last year, so I'm still coping with a 13-to-18-year leap forward in using both products. There may be a hidden command for this, but I've yet to find it.

Example:
I have three documents open, I've finished proofing them all, and then select Tools > Cleanup, and it lists only one document name with "Docs (1/1)" in the tab above. Running the "Clean" function cleans only the named file, and I have to go through the process again individualliy for the others.

On rare occasions I've managed to get two files listed and clean them both together, but how I managed that is something of a mystery, as I don't recall doing anything differently!

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a solution?

Martin
NZ
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
English to French
+ ...
Hmmm! Sep 29, 2021

I assume you do the proper dance: Select Tools, select all documents which need to be cleaned-up, before moving to the Clean-up tab.

This being said, there were versions in the past few months/couple of years (I don't remember exactly when) which exhibited the issue you describe. Your 8.33 may be one of those.

Try updating to the current public version, which is an 8.6x. The current beta (you don't have to use a beta) does clean-up several documents at once, even though
... See more
I assume you do the proper dance: Select Tools, select all documents which need to be cleaned-up, before moving to the Clean-up tab.

This being said, there were versions in the past few months/couple of years (I don't remember exactly when) which exhibited the issue you describe. Your 8.33 may be one of those.

Try updating to the current public version, which is an 8.6x. The current beta (you don't have to use a beta) does clean-up several documents at once, even though it reduces the size of the Word windows with my Office365 version.

Some Word add-ons (OfficeTab among them) may also play in part of the problem you describe.

[Edited at 2021-09-29 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Martin Sep 29, 2021

Martin Purdy wrote:
I have three documents open, I've finished proofing them all, and then select Tools > Cleanup, and it lists only one document name with "Docs (1/1)" in the tab above.

Yes, I noticed that, too. I don't use WFC 8 but I sometimes test the latest version to see what's new. And I've noticed what you noticed, too: the clean-up tab no longer relates to a list of files. I'm not sure if this means that you can't clean/analyze/check more than one file.

You can ask your question on the three WFC mailing lists:
https://wordfast.groups.io (unofficial) and Yves is not on this list
https://wordfast-classic.groups.io (official, but non-beta)
https://wfc-beta.groups.io (official, beta)

Martin Purdy

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Note the interface Sep 29, 2021

Let me repeat myself: The current WfC interface requires that files to be cleaned-up be SELECTED in the Tools | Docs tab, BEFORE clicking on the Clean-up tab.

See screen shot below:

https://ibb.co/nB4LkdS

J L

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaning multiple documents when only one filename is showing ... Sep 29, 2021

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Let me repeat myself: The current WfC interface requires that files to be cleaned-up be SELECTED in the Tools | Docs tab, BEFORE clicking on the Clean-up tab.

See screen shot below:

https://ibb.co/nB4LkdS

J L

I get exactly what you mean, but when I go to Tools there is only one filename showing. I can't select files that aren't on the list, even though they're currently open. If there's a way to do so, I'd love to learn how

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change with v. 8.66 Sep 29, 2021

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Try updating to the current public version, which is an 8.6x. The current beta (you don't have to use a beta) does clean-up several documents at once, even though it reduces the size of the Word windows with my Office365 version.

I've just updated to 8.66 and looked at the Tools tab with two files open: just one filename in the list still.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Office 2019? Sep 30, 2021

You mentioned Word 2019. Is that on a Mac? I thought Office365 is simply a different packaging for 2019, but my knowledge doesn't extend to Macs.

J L

Martin Purdy wrote:

I've just updated to 8.66 and looked at the Tools tab with two files open: just one filename in the list still.

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PC-based, not Mac Sep 30, 2021

Jean Lachaud wrote:

You mentioned Word 2019. Is that on a Mac? I thought Office365 is simply a different packaging for 2019, but my knowledge doesn't extend to Macs.

No, a PC. I didn't want the pay-as-you-go arrangement so bought Office 2019 outright as part of the new PC package last year. Honestly tempted to go back to WF 5.xx if I can still get it to work on the new 64-bit system, as I have a whole page of grizzles about the new WF. It's certainly more labour-intensive and thus less productive than the older versions I used for almost 20 years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning multiple documents simultaneously with WFC 8.33

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »