Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 30, 2021

Hi WFP6 users
anybody here with experience with a Mac Silicon and Wordfast Pro?
I'd like to get one (Macbook Air M1) but have to make sure that at least one of my CAT tools runs on it.
TIA - Wolfgang

Diego Julian Cortes
Diego Julian Cortes
Argentina
Local time: 14:37
English to Spanish
Try installing parallels Jun 30, 2021

Hi Wolfgang,

I am not sure whether you can run specifically WF on Mac OS M1. You may probably do. But in case it was incompatible with your new mac (due to the very new features of the M1 chip and BigSur OS), I would recommend installing Parallels on your Mac.

I got a Mac M1 a few days ago. I work with Trados and MemoQ, which actually neither are supported by Mac OS. But I installed Parallels on my Mac and I can run Windows 10 on a virtual machine. You must install the
... See more
Hi Wolfgang,

I am not sure whether you can run specifically WF on Mac OS M1. You may probably do. But in case it was incompatible with your new mac (due to the very new features of the M1 chip and BigSur OS), I would recommend installing Parallels on your Mac.

I got a Mac M1 a few days ago. I work with Trados and MemoQ, which actually neither are supported by Mac OS. But I installed Parallels on my Mac and I can run Windows 10 on a virtual machine. You must install the ARM Windows 10 version which supports all programs and CAT tools on your Mac by emulating Windows with the most recent updates. It works perfectly!

Hope this helps,

Regards.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac Silicon and WFP6 Jun 30, 2021

Diego Julian Cortes wrote:

Hi Wolfgang,

I got a Mac M1 a few days ago. I work with Trados and MemoQ, which actually neither are supported by Mac OS. But I installed Parallels on my Mac and I can run Windows 10 on a virtual machine. You must install the ARM Windows 10 version which supports all programs and CAT tools on your Mac by emulating Windows with the most recent updates. It works perfectly!

Hope this helps,

Regards.

Hi Diego
Thanks for your answer.
I have been using Parallels for the best of my translator's life since Intel processors existed.
My desktop workhorse is an iMac with Parallels. If I buy a Macbook Air I have to decide whether to keep a minimalistic setup with only the Mac OS and one or two CAT tools that run on a Silicon Mac (in case, Wordfast and Cafetran) and therefore buy only 8 GB of RAM, or if I'd better go for 16 GB RAM and therefore install Parallels and Windows CAT tools, too. As this Macbook Air is only for rare business trips and hotel (or home terrace) work, I don't want to spend too much on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac Silicon and Wordfast Pro 6

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »