Kor>Eng translation produces EN text but with language still set to Korean - can't change manually
Thread poster: Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 04:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 31, 2021

This is an odd one. I've been using various incarnations of WF with European languages for almost 20 years but have recently begun using WF Classic 8.33 with Korean. When the translation is complete, the translated segments, while in English, appear on-screen in an "Asian" Latin font (e.g. Malgun Gothic) and the language is still set to Korean. I can't change the font and I can't spell-check because the system doesn't recognise the translated text as English. Highlighting the whole text and ... See more
This is an odd one. I've been using various incarnations of WF with European languages for almost 20 years but have recently begun using WF Classic 8.33 with Korean. When the translation is complete, the translated segments, while in English, appear on-screen in an "Asian" Latin font (e.g. Malgun Gothic) and the language is still set to Korean. I can't change the font and I can't spell-check because the system doesn't recognise the translated text as English. Highlighting the whole text and changing the language to English doesn't work - it defaults back to Korean. Same with searching the Asian font and replacing with Arial, for example - no joy and it all stays as it is.

The only workaround I've found (well, that my 20-something daughter has found) is to highlight the whole text after cleaning, then copy-and-paste into a blank document with the "merge format" option, which magically gives me a text that is set to English, and I can then change the font, spell-check, etc., as normal.

This workaround shouldn't be necessary, however. Any ideas what the problem might be in the first place? Or is it just a vagary with non-Latin text that I have to cope with?

Word: 2019
WF: Classic v. 8.33

Martin
NZ
Collapse

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 04:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up Jun 28, 2021

No-one? I'd be surprised if I'm the only one in the history of Wordfast (possibly in combination with Win10/Word 2019) to have experienced this oddity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kor>Eng translation produces EN text but with language still set to Korean - can't change manually

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »