Problem importing SDL package into WFP 6.2.0
Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 17:48
Slovak to English
May 26, 2021

My client sent me an SDL package containing 3 files to be translated. When I click on Import SDL Package, it seems to be importing and when I open the resulting project, for a split second I can see the 3 files but they then vanish. I have no idea what this means or how to go about dealing with it. The agency says they are using the very latest version of Trados.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Similar problems May 26, 2021

Hmmm, I had problems today with SDLXLIFF files.

Does your client have the server version? When I opened the SDLXLIFF files, they did not specify the target language in them.
This is what mine said after sending me working files:
“This is weird. These are actually the SDLXLIFFs I created on my D drive just as a test to see whether the files were OK in Studio.
Then I updated the project that we already had on our server, created with the draft Word file.
I�
... See more
Hmmm, I had problems today with SDLXLIFF files.

Does your client have the server version? When I opened the SDLXLIFF files, they did not specify the target language in them.
This is what mine said after sending me working files:
“This is weird. These are actually the SDLXLIFFs I created on my D drive just as a test to see whether the files were OK in Studio.
Then I updated the project that we already had on our server, created with the draft Word file.
I’ll process the final Word version locally and send it.”

Hope this helps!
John
Collapse

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting May 26, 2021

I also unzipped the package and opened the SDLXIFF files and could only find the code for the source language. I'll suggest it to them and see what happens.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2021-05-26 14:51 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other versions of WF May 27, 2021

Does the same problem occur with other versions of WF, such as WFP3?

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Probably May 28, 2021

Hi Edward,
I think the problem is on the Trados end and it will affect all tools, not just Wordfast. I find it odd that the SDLXLIFF file did not specify the target language and suspect that it might be "hidden" in proprietary code at the beginning of the file.

Here are screenshots comparing a Trados SDLXLIFF (the one with the bizarre, undecipherable code) with a Wordfast TXLF file:
WF2021-05-28_10-05-51

SDL2021-05-28_10-05-00

I could not find any target-language attribute in the SDLXLIFF file: http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/os/xliff-core.html#target-language

Please note that I am not a technical expert on XLIFF and this is only speculation by a layman.

Hopefully, we get some answers soon!

John

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
All tools May 28, 2021

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Edward,
I think the problem is on the Trados end and it will affect all tools, not just Wordfast.

John

Hi John
I translated the same package that was rejected by Wordfast with MemoQ so it does not affect all tools.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I made it to work in WFP6 May 28, 2021

Here is what I did:
I imported the package into MemoQ
Saved the package as sdlrpx return package
Changed sdlrpx to sldppx
Imported it successfully into Wordfast.

John Di Rico

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can't offer a solution May 28, 2021

The client ultimately was happy to receive the translation in Word, and I don't think they ever looked into the problem any further. I have to assume we will run into this again. I noticed another thread about the same issue.
Thanks for all your input.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Thanks for sharing! May 28, 2021

Wolfgang wrote:

Here is what I did:
I imported the package into MemoQ
Saved the package as sdlrpx return package
Changed sdlrpx to sldppx
Imported it successfully into Wordfast.

Nice workaround! So Wordfast must be limited in the way that it is handling those files. I'll keep everyone apprised as soon as I get news from developers.

Thanks

Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
On the other hand... May 28, 2021

I received an sdlppx file today for revision. It imported into WFP6 straightaway with no problems at all.
Go figure...

[Edited at 2021-05-28 16:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing SDL package into WFP 6.2.0

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »