Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do I reinstall my Wordfast licence on a new laptop?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 22:44
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

Hello all,

I bought a Wordfast Licence and used it fine on my old laptop. Now that I bought a new laptop, I uninstalled Wordfast from my old laptop, and installed the licence on my new laptop. Although Wordfast Pro recognizes the licence, it's still in "demo mode". I tried restarting the laptop, and I try uninstalling/reinstalling Wordfast, but it won't do. Any idea what I should do? I need to use Wordfast Pro urgently, so I'd appreciate some help.

Thank you!
... See more
Hello all,

I bought a Wordfast Licence and used it fine on my old laptop. Now that I bought a new laptop, I uninstalled Wordfast from my old laptop, and installed the licence on my new laptop. Although Wordfast Pro recognizes the licence, it's still in "demo mode". I tried restarting the laptop, and I try uninstalling/reinstalling Wordfast, but it won't do. Any idea what I should do? I need to use Wordfast Pro urgently, so I'd appreciate some help.

Thank you!

Alain
Collapse

Donata Gumiero
Donata Gumiero  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
German to Italian
+ ...
You have to relicense it... Feb 3, 2011

Dear Alain,

you have to go to the Wordfast website http://www.wordfast.net, log in with your e-mail address and the number of your installation as password and then click on "license an application". Then, you go to the bottom of the page and insert you "installation number" and click on "generate license". It will be generated immediately. You have then to insert this newly generated number in the
... See more
Dear Alain,

you have to go to the Wordfast website http://www.wordfast.net, log in with your e-mail address and the number of your installation as password and then click on "license an application". Then, you go to the bottom of the page and insert you "installation number" and click on "generate license". It will be generated immediately. You have then to insert this newly generated number in the white box on the right side of your installation number in your Wordfast installed version.

I hope, it will help you.

Donata
Collapse

Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Reinstall Licence Feb 3, 2011

Good afternoon Alain,

Yo reinstall Wordfast Licence on anew laptop, follow these steps :

Connect to Wrdfast Website and sign up to your account (you may receive it by email if you have forgotten it by requested this operation through the website).

Please follow these instructions to activate your license:

1) Save the file to a known location, desktop or other.
2) Start Wordfast Pro.
3) Navigate to Help->License Management.<
... See more
Good afternoon Alain,

Yo reinstall Wordfast Licence on anew laptop, follow these steps :

Connect to Wrdfast Website and sign up to your account (you may receive it by email if you have forgotten it by requested this operation through the website).

Please follow these instructions to activate your license:

1) Save the file to a known location, desktop or other.
2) Start Wordfast Pro.
3) Navigate to Help->License Management.
4) Select License Manager.
5) Check (Re-)Install a license certificate.
6) Select Next.
7) Browse to the known location from Step 1.
8) Double click the license file (.lic file).
9) Select Next twice.
10) Verify your information and Select Finish.
11) Restart Wordfast Pro.

Hope this will help as the same inconvenient happened to me a few weeks ago

Pierre
Collapse

Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bad thread Jan 6, 2015

It seems that Mr. Alameddine already followed the prescribed procedure to reinstall his license, and at that point was met by an error.

Other members of this forum then saw fit to suggest he repeat that same procedure, and even reiterate what that procedure is.

Mr. Ligavan actually cut and pasted the procedure straight from the WFP website and pretends that it helped him, even though it is clear from his comment that Mr. Alameddine has already tried it and is seekin
... See more
It seems that Mr. Alameddine already followed the prescribed procedure to reinstall his license, and at that point was met by an error.

Other members of this forum then saw fit to suggest he repeat that same procedure, and even reiterate what that procedure is.

Mr. Ligavan actually cut and pasted the procedure straight from the WFP website and pretends that it helped him, even though it is clear from his comment that Mr. Alameddine has already tried it and is seeking an alternative.

I am having the same problem right now. I really wish someone from WordFast would step up and offer support for this issue with their product, considering nobody has done so yet (~4 years).
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 13:44
You cannot use the old license file on new laptop Jan 6, 2015

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Mr. Ligavan actually cut and pasted the procedure straight from the WFP website and pretends that it helped him, even though it is clear from his comment that Mr. Alameddine has already tried it and is seeking an alternative.

I am having the same problem right now. I really wish someone from WordFast would step up and offer support for this issue with their product, considering nobody has done so yet (~4 years).

Hi Jonathan,

You need to request for new license with the install number from new laptop WFP. The install number can be found at Help > License Management.

Thank you,

John

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Clarification Jan 6, 2015

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Dear Jonathan,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems installing a license on a second computer. Wordfast staff members monitor this forum and provide help when possible. For timely tech support, please contact the hotline via your user account at wordfast.net.

The instructions given by Donata and Pierre Mikaël are confusing in that Donata provides instructions for licensing Wordfast Classic. Please follow her instructions until the point where you click on generate a license (you find your install number under the Help > License Management menu in Wordfast Pro). Each installation generates a different install number which is why you will ultimately need two license files (.lic) for two different installations, i.e. you can't use the same one which is what Alain's problem was probably related to.

A license file will be sent to you via email or you can also download it immediately. Pierre Mikaël's instructions to install it appear on the web page after generating the license and are also contained in the email that is sent with your license file.

Sorry again about the confusion.

Kind regards,

John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jonathan Jan 7, 2015

Alain Alameddine wrote:
Although Wordfast Pro recognizes the licence...

Jonathan Norris wrote:
It seems that Mr. Alameddine already followed the prescribed procedure to reinstall his license, and at that point was met by an error. ... Other members of this forum then saw fit to suggest he repeat that same procedure, and even reiterate what that procedure is.

I suspect people who answered here took Alain's comment that "WFP" recognised the licence to mean not that Alain had entered the correct, new licence, but that WFP did not show an error message after Alain entered the licence number.

...it is clear from his comment that Mr. Alameddine has already tried it and is seeking an alternative.

It is far from clear what steps Alain took to relicence his copy of WFP. He only says that he installed "the" licence and that WFP "recognised" it. Alain mentions several steps that he took, but he doesn't mention visiting the WF web site. If Alain took care to mention all the other steps, would he not also have mentioned at least that he logged in to the web site to retrieve his new licence?

I am having the same problem right now.

Tell us what your problem is (not simply "it is the same") and what you have done that lead you to the point of considering that you are unable to get WFP out of demo mode.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jonathan II Jan 7, 2015

Jonathan Norris wrote:
I am having the same problem right now.

Well, if you're having difficulty relicensing your WFP, then you have my sympathy. The instructions given here are no longer valid, because if you visit this page and click the appropriate button (the top one), you get to a "Page not found" page, and if you try to log in using the fourth button, you get to an "Access denied" page. Bummer...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Faster Jan 7, 2015

Is this another example of how CAT tools make the translator's life easier?

[Edited at 2015-01-07 10:07 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:44
Finnish to French
Instructions on how to (re)license Wordfast Pro Jan 7, 2015

can be found here:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/How_to_license_Wordfast_Pro

It's important to note you cannot "recycle" an old license file used for another computer: that file will only work with the computer for which it was requested. If you are using Wordfast Pro on a new computer, you should request a new license file. The name of that license file should match the install number displayed inside Wordfast Pro.

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moving on Jan 7, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

can be found here:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/How_to_license_Wordfast_Pro

It's important to note you cannot "recycle" an old license file used for another computer: that file will only work with the computer for which it was requested. If you are using Wordfast Pro on a new computer, you should request a new license file. The name of that license file should match the install number displayed inside Wordfast Pro.

Jonathan Norris wrote:

Thanks so much, this was just the help I needed. Now at least this will be here for people in the future.

Jonathan

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Licensing Jan 7, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Is this another example of how CAT tools make the translator's life easier?

No: it's an example of how software licensing sometimes works.
If a paid-for licence can simply be copied from one computer to another, the licensed software could be given to another user who would then be able to use it without having paid for a licence. The people who write and maintain the software, if they are paid to do that, need to have an income, and providing that income is the purpose of the licence.
Tom: your profile doesn't mention any CAT tool, so I presume your remark is honestly intended to be sarcastic. I think that, on balance, CAT tools do make the translator's life easier: they help to make the translations more consistent and quicker to produce.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wasted time Jan 7, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:
I think that, on balance, CAT tools do make the translator's life easier: they help to make the translations more consistent and quicker to produce.

Reading this thread, that's not my impression. I must say that as a busy translator who would gladly adopt anything that (a) improves (b) speeds up my work, I'm always thinking about CAT tools and have tried a couple of them, but so far I haven't found one that doesn't do the opposite, i.e. gets in my way and slows me down.

This thread seems to highlight one particular problem they all present: the impossibility of copying them to another drive, or re-installing them, without running into a road-block that's apparently due to a fear of of pirating and could easily be resolved in a less draconion (and time-consuming) way.

Because I clone my entire hard drive every day, sometimes more than once, this road-block would be a complete no-no for me (apart from the other problems I have with CAT tools).

[Edited at 2015-01-07 20:56 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Well, don't! Jan 7, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Because I clone my entire hard drive every day, sometimes more than once, this road-block would be a complete no-no for me (apart from the other problems I have with CAT tools).

I presume you do that as a backup, and my response is "Well, don't!". Yes, certainly make a backup, but keep working with the original drive; then there'll be no relicensing problem. When I make a backup (usually every day) I copy only the new and modified files onto an external hard drive connected through a USB cable. I use a free program FreeFileSync to discover which files to copy, overwrite or delete, which it can then do automatically.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi folks Jan 8, 2015

May I remind you that this thread is about reinstallation of Wordfast licence. For discussing the usefullness/uselessness of CAT tools in general and/or daily drive backups, please kindly open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2015-01-08 00:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I reinstall my Wordfast licence on a new laptop?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »