Thread poster: Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2006

Hi all!
First of all sorry for my most likely stupid questions, but I am absolutely newbie in Trados environment and used till now Wordfast.
I want to use my old Wordfast TM in SDL: Trados 2006, so I exported it from Wordfast as .tmx file, renamed it to .tmw and opened in Translator's Workbench.
I tried to translate the file, previoulsy tranaslated in Wordfast (so I'm sure TM contains matches), but without success, i.e. I didn't receive matching results in Workbench's window.... See more
Hi all!
First of all sorry for my most likely stupid questions, but I am absolutely newbie in Trados environment and used till now Wordfast.
I want to use my old Wordfast TM in SDL: Trados 2006, so I exported it from Wordfast as .tmx file, renamed it to .tmw and opened in Translator's Workbench.
I tried to translate the file, previoulsy tranaslated in Wordfast (so I'm sure TM contains matches), but without success, i.e. I didn't receive matching results in Workbench's window.
Where am I wrong? Do I need to create somehow a termbase from my previous TM, or...?
Thank you all in advance for the support!
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:28
English to German
+ ...
Why rename it? Mar 19, 2006

I thought that SDL Trados was able to import TMX files. What you have to look for is the import feature that allows you to reuse your old TMX files. IMHO, you should not rename it to TMW. After all, it is not a Trados TM.

Sonja

Natasha Stoyanova
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't see this possibility Mar 19, 2006

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I thought that SDL Trados was able to import TMX files. What you have to look for is the import feature that allows you to reuse your old TMX files. IMHO, you should not rename it to TMW. After all, it is not a Trados TM.

Sonja

Well, I tried to open the .tmx file first, but the window allows to select .tmw files only.
And the import feature under File in Workbench is inactive (as well as setup, etc).
Any suggestion how to proceed?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Two steps Mar 19, 2006

(1) create (in the Worbench) an empty tmw with the same languages as the tmx you want to use

(2) import the tmx into that empty tmw

HTH

Antonin

Natasha Stoyanova
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done, but... Mar 19, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

(1) create (in the Worbench) an empty tmw with the same languages as the tmx you want to use

(2) import the tmx into that empty tmw

HTH

Antonin

..after importing the file into the newly created TM (File-Import-Choose .txt file to import) I received at the bottom of the Workbench message that ... file is imported with 0 translation units.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
txt? Mar 19, 2006

When importing, you have a few options to choose from, and txt is not a good one if you have a tmx file - choose the tmx option.

Natasha Stoyanova
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unicode problem Mar 19, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

When importing, you have a few options to choose from, and txt is not a good one if you have a tmx file - choose the tmx option.

I imported .tmx file and receive a message {1113} No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry, I have no simple advice Mar 19, 2006

I never use wordfast TM, but tmx exports from Transit; and I usually process tmx files in the Heartsome tmx editor before importing them into Trados - you can get a month of trial at http://www.heartsome.org/EN/tmx.html and see if it helps you - they can also give you advice, I suppose

You can also try a free tmx validator (the same link)

Good luck

Antonin
<
... See more
I never use wordfast TM, but tmx exports from Transit; and I usually process tmx files in the Heartsome tmx editor before importing them into Trados - you can get a month of trial at http://www.heartsome.org/EN/tmx.html and see if it helps you - they can also give you advice, I suppose

You can also try a free tmx validator (the same link)

Good luck

Antonin

[Edited at 2006-03-19 20:54]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
WF non-compliant TMX Mar 19, 2006

AmusedNath wrote:
I imported .tmx file and receive a message {1113} No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.

The problem here is that WF produces non-compliant TMX files, which is a known problem.

What you will need is a TMXValidator (such as the one available at http://www.maxprograms.com ), and a good text editor to correct the mistakes. If you have a large no. of TMX files and/or very big TMs you may be better off to somehow transfer them to CSV and then see whether SDL Trados can handle those.

Sonja

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some information from the Wordfast Knowledge Base Mar 19, 2006

When importing a Wordfast-generated TMX TM into a TWB TM, the usual reason for failure on the TWB side is that the ISO language codes in the Wordfast TMX file do not fit the ISO TMX language codes for the particular Trados version you use (there were changes between Trados 2, 3, and 5 in this respect, due to ISO standard changes.

For instance, the code for Swedish changed from SV-01 to SV-SE, etc). To know exactly which ISO language codes your version of Trados expects, generate a s
... See more
When importing a Wordfast-generated TMX TM into a TWB TM, the usual reason for failure on the TWB side is that the ISO language codes in the Wordfast TMX file do not fit the ISO TMX language codes for the particular Trados version you use (there were changes between Trados 2, 3, and 5 in this respect, due to ISO standard changes.

For instance, the code for Swedish changed from SV-01 to SV-SE, etc). To know exactly which ISO language codes your version of Trados expects, generate a small TMX export from a Trados-exported TM created with the intended language codes, open this TMX export with Ms-Word, then look at language codes. If language codes differ from the codes used in the Wordfast TMX export, they can easily be search-replaced in Ms-Word (for example, search for "SV-01", replace with "SV-SV", with quotes, using the "Match case" option in Ms-Word’s search-replace options). Save as Unicode Text on exit.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Natasha Stoyanova
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems this will take some time... Mar 20, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:

For instance, the code for Swedish changed from SV-01 to SV-SE, etc). To know exactly which ISO language codes your version of Trados expects, generate a small TMX export from a Trados-exported TM created with the intended language codes, open this TMX export with Ms-Word, then look at language codes. If language codes differ from the codes used in the Wordfast TMX export, they can easily be search-replaced in Ms-Word (for example, search for "SV-01", replace with "SV-SV", with quotes, using the "Match case" option in Ms-Word’s search-replace options). Save as Unicode Text on exit.

Regards,
Gerard

...in order to validate, or change language codes, but thank you all very much for your suggestions!

Meanwhile, problems occurs one after another - besides this message I got another one about the demo mode/license details and still didn't solve it, though read other postings about this problem and tried suggested solutions.
As a whole I get a little bit stucked just at the beginning of all this Trados Odyssey, but hope will have chance to overcome this..:)

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
license trouble Mar 20, 2006

Meanwhile, problems occurs one after another - besides this message I got another one about the demo mode/license details...

I know this one. You need to know in what folder you put the license.lic (one of the first things you downloaded). Find the License Manager (SDL International/SDL Trados 2006 Freelance/License Manager). Change location of license and there you go: up and running.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing TM into SDL Trados 2006

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »