Is Trados support/maintenance package worth it?
Thread poster: Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
Feb 22, 2006

I know this topic has been brought up several times, but I cannot find any concrete answers to my doubts in the SDL trados Support FOrum, which is why I am posting this.

I am about to buy SDL/Tradox 2006, but I am not sure about buying the maintenance/support (M/S) package that the vendor pushes with the software.

I find the information available in their website very sketchy. I have sent two messages asking for clarification, but have not received an answer yet.
... See more
I know this topic has been brought up several times, but I cannot find any concrete answers to my doubts in the SDL trados Support FOrum, which is why I am posting this.

I am about to buy SDL/Tradox 2006, but I am not sure about buying the maintenance/support (M/S) package that the vendor pushes with the software.

I find the information available in their website very sketchy. I have sent two messages asking for clarification, but have not received an answer yet.

Thus, I would appreciate opinions from people who have bought the M/S package, particularly with regards to the following:

1. There are two levels available. One which grants one login or call for assistance per customer, and another one which grants four. However, the company does not indicate if this is one or four requests for assistance per day, per month or per year.

2. There is also the possibility of "not buying the M/S package at this time", but no mention if it can be bought at a later date for the same price, or if there will be a penalty.

3. Buying the S/M package entitles to all upgrades. But how much would upgrades be if the s/m package is not bought?

4. The way their m/s package agreement is worded, it seems that if bought for one year, it will automatically be renewed year after year, making it very difficult for the buyer to cancel the subscription.

If anyone has had any experiences concerning the above points, I would be thankful if you could share your views with us!

[Edited at 2006-02-22 03:53]
Collapse

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:51
French to German
+ ...
He who has eyes to see, let him see! Feb 22, 2006

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
...I am not sure about buying the maintenance/support (M/S) package that the vendor pushes with the software.

There you are. They are promising you help in exchange for fee to be paid upfront. But they can't even help you understand what help they want to offer, in a timely fashion.

Well, so much for that, then.

P.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast Feb 22, 2006

Hi Rosa,

I have visited Trados sites many times and I have never found one piece of sensible information there, and I thank them for this, since they made me research more and I finally bought Wordfast. I provide ".tmx" translation memories to my clients with Trados and they work perfectly.

I have also discovered recently that they were highly responsible for introducing the discount system for fuzzies to sell their software to corporations. I suppose that is their focu
... See more
Hi Rosa,

I have visited Trados sites many times and I have never found one piece of sensible information there, and I thank them for this, since they made me research more and I finally bought Wordfast. I provide ".tmx" translation memories to my clients with Trados and they work perfectly.

I have also discovered recently that they were highly responsible for introducing the discount system for fuzzies to sell their software to corporations. I suppose that is their focus. The problem is that if translators don't buy their software anymore corporations won't either. The thing is, are we translators organized as a class?

Good luck!
Fred
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Peter and Fred Feb 22, 2006

Thank you for answering to my thread.

I know that from the outside SDL Trados does not look very appealing, but I want to find out if anyone has had good or bad experiences with the support/maintenance package in particular.

I am looking into buying this software because several clients are asking me to do so, not because I am a fan of the product. That is why I want to know more about it, but it seems I will never get the information from the manufacturer itself.
... See more
Thank you for answering to my thread.

I know that from the outside SDL Trados does not look very appealing, but I want to find out if anyone has had good or bad experiences with the support/maintenance package in particular.

I am looking into buying this software because several clients are asking me to do so, not because I am a fan of the product. That is why I want to know more about it, but it seems I will never get the information from the manufacturer itself.

A specific question for Fred: Can you work on Wordfast with Trados TMs or with documents created by Trados? It is not only a question of delivering .tmx files to my customers using Wordfast, but of me being able to use the files I receive from the customers who created them using Trados.

If Wordfast is so good, why are not more people using Wordfast and less people using Trados, I wonder...

[Edited at 2006-02-22 15:06]
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast x Trados Feb 22, 2006

I am looking into buying this software because several clients are asking me to do so, not because I am a fan of the product.

I have convinced my clients with the same arguments Trados has used to convince them, costs. I tell them, "if you want me to maintain competitive rates don't make me buy a US$1000 software. Let's try and if it doesn't work I'll buy Trados." It worked and they were quite surprised. Sometimes Wordfast's export function sends a corrupted memory and they contact me desperate, but I simply repeat the process and things are solved. Just in case, let me clarify that these are not agencies.

A specific question for Fred: Can you work on Wordfast with Trados TMs or with documents created by Trados? It is not only a question of delivering .tmx files to my customers using Wordfast, but of me being able to use the files I receive from the customers who created them using Trados.

Wordfast claims it is possible. I haven't tried it yet. But you can always try the demo (500 TUs). There is a lot of information on the web comparing Wordfast and Trados. This is a link from Jeff Allen, a Proz.com colleague, with several interesting articles http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/. Look for the comparing articles in the index.

If Wordfast is so good, why are not more people using Wordfast and less people using Trados, I wonder...

I'd rather not guess and this doesn't mean anything to me. Of course, it seemed extremely suspicious at the beginning, so I researched a lot and then tried the demo. It works for me and I have saved a lot of money. This makes me very happy and competitive. Of course many outsourcers request Trados but I don't miss them. I only bother to introduce Wordfast to direct clients. I assume that an agency should know Wordfast exists so if they ask for Trados they must have a reason.

Fred

[Edited at 2006-02-22 15:39]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:51
English to German
+ ...
Very good experience Feb 22, 2006

Hi Rosa Maria,

I have had a support agreement for several years, which I have recently upgraded to include maintenance as well.

I was always satisfied with Trados support, and the brief experience with SDL Trados support would appear to substantiate that.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados support/maintenance package worth it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »