Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:56
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
Feb 11, 2006

I have a problem which is driving me crazy:

I have to import a Excel bilingual glossary into Multiterm (ver. 6.2.0.287). First I converted the Excel file into an xml file with Multiterm Convert and it worked fine. But when I tried to import entries to the termbase in Multiterm, 0 entries were processed.
While creating the Termbase I used the definition file (xdt) created while converting the xls file into xml, as someone suggested at this forum.

I know this prob
... See more
I have a problem which is driving me crazy:

I have to import a Excel bilingual glossary into Multiterm (ver. 6.2.0.287). First I converted the Excel file into an xml file with Multiterm Convert and it worked fine. But when I tried to import entries to the termbase in Multiterm, 0 entries were processed.
While creating the Termbase I used the definition file (xdt) created while converting the xls file into xml, as someone suggested at this forum.

I know this problem was already discussed ( http://www.proz.com/post/149138 ), but the solutions proposed didn't work with me.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Maciej.

[Edited at 2006-02-11 11:59]

[Edited at 2006-02-11 15:36]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some steps to follow, maybe helpfull Feb 11, 2006

For Excel file, where the source language is in the left column and the target in the right colum with no additional columns - the easiest possibility. This should also work for additional columns with definitions, but I haven´t actually tried this before.

• Put and empty cell above each column and enter a name for the language in each column. For example: English for the first and Polish for the second column.
    ... See more
For Excel file, where the source language is in the left column and the target in the right colum with no additional columns - the easiest possibility. This should also work for additional columns with definitions, but I haven´t actually tried this before.

• Put and empty cell above each column and enter a name for the language in each column. For example: English for the first and Polish for the second column.
  • Save the file
  • Use MT Convert for to convert this file to xml and xdt.
  • Create a new termbase using the xdt file.
  • In this termbase use the import function.
  • Maybe you will need to allow not fully defined or overdefined entries. When I import I allways check all boxes in step 3.
  • Perform the import.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Maciej Pomorski
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is what I did Feb 11, 2006

That is exactly what I did - the glossary was in two columns, so the thing should be quite easy. However, when importing the xml file into the defined termbase, I got the message "0 entries processed". The log says that the xml file couldn't be opened and may be damaged. I repeated this procedure quite a few times with creating new xml file and importing it, but the result was always the same.

It's true that there were many options in all steps, but i applied the default ones as I
... See more
That is exactly what I did - the glossary was in two columns, so the thing should be quite easy. However, when importing the xml file into the defined termbase, I got the message "0 entries processed". The log says that the xml file couldn't be opened and may be damaged. I repeated this procedure quite a few times with creating new xml file and importing it, but the result was always the same.

It's true that there were many options in all steps, but i applied the default ones as I didn't understand them quite well. I think SDLTrados could work on a more user-friendly interface or at least offer a less sophisticated version for "dummies"...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This would be certainly helpfull Feb 11, 2006

Maciej Pomorski wrote:

It's true that there were many options in all steps, but i applied the default ones as I didn't understand them quite well. I think SDLTrados could work on a more user-friendly interface or at least offer a less sophisticated version for "dummies"...

I fully support that point of view - the way things work in Trados are very often somehow strange or at least explained in a way only programmers might understand.

As you defined the termbank, in step 5 did the index fields exactly match the names of your columns in Excel?

And in the meantime you could also contact me via info małpa doku minus trans dot de and send me the excel file - maybe I can somehow manage the import.

Best regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The problem was not in the import :-) Feb 11, 2006

But in the definition of the termbank.
In step 5 you MUST define the languages for the Index Fields.
Let´s assume we are creating an Englis-Polish glossary.
In Excel we have two columns, the frist one named "English" and the second one, named "Polish".
This file will be then used to create the termbank definition with MT Convert.
We start the MT Convert software.
In "Step 2" "New convesrion" is to be chosen (please note, that I´m using the german version of
... See more
But in the definition of the termbank.
In step 5 you MUST define the languages for the Index Fields.
Let´s assume we are creating an Englis-Polish glossary.
In Excel we have two columns, the frist one named "English" and the second one, named "Polish".
This file will be then used to create the termbank definition with MT Convert.
We start the MT Convert software.
In "Step 2" "New convesrion" is to be chosen (please note, that I´m using the german version of MT Convert, so the names of steps and commands my differ slightly, as the ones used here are my translation).
In Step 3 chose the conversion from Excel file.
In Step 4 navigate to the Excel file you want to convert.
In Step 5: on the left side you will now see English and Polish.

You see the word "English" is marked and the radio button for "Field type" is on. Click on the radio button "Index field".

Then in the "Index field" select "English UK" (or any other as desired).

Before going to the next step repeat this procedure for any other items listed on the left. This ist very important, as otherwise no import will be possible.

Perform all other steps of the converter.

In MT set a new termbank using the defintion file you created while importing the Excel file.
When the termbase is created, perform the import procedure.
Now no problems should occure.

HTH
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-02-11 21:29]
Collapse

Raffaella Magi McCann (X)
Raffaella Magi McCann (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you so much! Mar 16, 2006

I would like to thank you both guys, especially Jerzy. I was having the same problem with a glossary in Excel which I needed to import in Multiterm. I followed, step by step, all the instructions written in here and......fantastic!!!! It's working!! You really saved my evening. Thank you again!!!

Raffaella

Maciej Pomorski
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problem isn't solved yet :-( Mar 16, 2006

Jerzy, thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately, I got another terminology file (xml, this time) from my client, but I still had the problem while converting it into a termbase.

So I think the problem with me was not the step with importing an xls file into a xml file, but the secone one, while converting an xml file into a termbase (or mdb).

When I try to do it (using a project file or without it), I always get the message "0 entries processed". I always
... See more
Jerzy, thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately, I got another terminology file (xml, this time) from my client, but I still had the problem while converting it into a termbase.

So I think the problem with me was not the step with importing an xls file into a xml file, but the secone one, while converting an xml file into a termbase (or mdb).

When I try to do it (using a project file or without it), I always get the message "0 entries processed". I always use all default options. Fortunately, this client agreed to deliver mdb files, but I'm in trouble if I don't get them from somebody else.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with converting Excel glossary to Multiterm iX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »