segments with two sentences not found by trados
Thread poster: Kapo
Kapo
Kapo
Local time: 20:31
German
Jan 5, 2006

Hello, in my TM-database there are some segments consisting of two sentences or more. My problem is that workbench didn´t found a match when I start a translation under the menue "extra". Only if I extend the segment manually with the next sentence workbench found the appropriate match. The main problem is that the sentences in my segments are parted by a full stop and it´s not helpful to delete the fullstop in the segmentationrules. Is their a possibility to avoid this problem.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
segments with two sentences not found by trados Jan 5, 2006

The problem lies in your TM. The two sentences should have been translated as two segments, not as one. (Sometimes it's not possible, for example if there is a hard space or no space after the full stop.)

Now you can either expand your new segments manually, as you already did, or use concordance and copy and paste the translation from the Concordance window to the translation segment.

Removing the full stop from the segmentation rules is definitely not a good idea.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Modify the source Jan 5, 2006

If your sentences are separated by line break, delete it.
If your sentences are only separated by a dot (full stop sign), use the function "Enlarge segment" (CTRL+ALT+PgDn or in Germany STRG+ALT+BILD runter).

HTH
Jerzy

Kapo
Kapo
German
TOPIC STARTER
First: Thank you! Jan 5, 2006

Second: What will be the fastest way to find those segments consisting of two sentences in my TM? I tried it with the concordanz search just typed with a full stop but that´s not succesfull! If anybody knows a better way than search and destroy manually I will be very happy ! Thank you Hynek!

Kapo
Kapo
German
TOPIC STARTER
translation function in the extra menue Jan 5, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If your sentences are separated by line break, delete it.
If your sentences are only separated by a dot (full stop sign), use the function "Enlarge segment" (CTRL+ALT+PgDn or in Germany STRG+ALT+BILD runter).

HTH
Jerzy

That´s what I´ve done but I want that workbench find the right segments consisting of two sentences or more already with the translation function in the extra menue. Otherwise I have to enlarge the not translated segments manually after the clean up or translation to find the appropriate translations. If it´s not possible I must use the funtion "Enlarge segment" for every segment that consists of more than one sentence. But thank you for the fast answer!

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Searching for segments Jan 5, 2006

I don't know how to search for segments containing two sentences. But I wouldn't do that - I would simply translate with autoconcordance turned on (Translation Memory Options - Concordance - Start concordance search if no segment match is found). This way, you should be able to see if your new sentence already exists in the TM as part of a bigger segment, even if no match is found in Workbench.

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Match value Jan 5, 2006

You can also lower the Match value in Workbench: Tools - Options - General - Minimum match value. If the value is low enough, hopefully Workbench will find the "large segments", but it will also find unneeded segments in other cases.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TM maintenance Jan 5, 2006

If the TM is not too large, you might try manual maintenance (such as finding segments containing the "period+space" string); in my experience, the TMX Editor by http://www.heartsome.net is the most convenient tool for such undertaking.

Antonin

Kapo
Kapo
German
TOPIC STARTER
I think their is no solution for my problem Jan 5, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

You can also lower the Match value in Workbench: Tools - Options - General - Minimum match value. If the value is low enough, hopefully Workbench will find the "large segments", but it will also find unneeded segments in other cases.

I tried it with the autoconcordanz and with a low match value but both approaches aren´t usefull because either their are unneeded segments by using a low general match value or workbench didn´t found the segment in spite of the autoconcordanz with a low match value. You can´t have everything! Trados is helpfully enough and it´s not the problem to translate a few segments which are larger then one sentence in my TM. But thank you all very much for your support and I hope I can help you with my little knowledge about trados next time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

segments with two sentences not found by trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »