Thread poster: Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2005

For Freelance 5.5, WinAlign, using Windows XP and Word 2000: I created a project in WinAlign and aligned all segments of 2 rtf files. I exported the file as a .txt file. When I import the .txt file into an existing TM, I get the message: 1876 units analyzed, 0 units imported; 1876 units invalid (or something very similar), meaning that it can read the .txt file but cannot import the units. What could be causing this? Many thanks for any help, as this is extremely frustrating.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:06
English to German
+ ...
Check the language codes Jan 13, 2005

Hi Roxane,
This could be caused by a mismatch in the language locales chosen for alignment and those used in the TM. Can you check if they're identical (e.g. English (UK) and Portuguese (Portugal) on both sides)?

If you're not sure, export your TM and compare the export to the export file created using WinAlign. Language codes are preceded by a "Seg L=" tag.

HTH, Ralf

Roxane Dow
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import of WinAlign export file failure Jan 13, 2005

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the language codes, and they are the same for both the TM and the .txt file I'm trying to import.

However,I see that the aligned file contains "100" as one of the codes preceding the first matched pair, but the TM does not contain the "Quality" code.

There are other differences in the " codes.
The TM contains:
date time
ROXANEDOW

but the aligned .txt file contains:
ALIGN!
d
... See more
Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the language codes, and they are the same for both the TM and the .txt file I'm trying to import.

However,I see that the aligned file contains "100" as one of the codes preceding the first matched pair, but the TM does not contain the "Quality" code.

The TM contains:
date time
ROXANEDOW

ALIGN!
date time

in that order.

Could there be a mismatch: for example, the first Cru in the TM refers to date and time, but the first Cru in the .txt file refers to the user name "ALIGN!," since I didn't specify my name. So then a date/time is compared to a user name and the system can't figure it out. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I appreciate your help.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:06
English to German
+ ...
Not the source of the problem Jan 13, 2005

Hi again,

Are they completely identical (e.g. 'EN-US'?).

The TM contains:
date time
ROXANEDOW

ALIGN!
date time

in that order.

The 'ALIGN!' tag is necessary to identify aligned units when working in Workbench.
But are you sure about the tag? The "CrU" tag refers to the user who created the entry, but that cannot be used for multiple entries...

Contact me through my profile; I'd like to look at the files if I may.

Best regards,
Ralf

Roxane Dow
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution to WinAlign file import failure when using variants of same language as source and target Jan 14, 2005

This morning, I
> found the solution to the problem, so I thought I would post it here for everyone's use:
> Here it is: When working with an import
> file containing English UK to English US, or vice versa
> (which is what I am working with), in the import dialog
> box, you must put a checkmark in the "Check matching
> sub-languages" box. I did that, and it solved the problem.
I hope this helps someone in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import of WinAllign project fails: 0 units imported; 1876 units invalid

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »