Freeware that will embed .srt into .mov output ...
Thread poster: Dave Cooper (X)
Dave Cooper (X)
Dave Cooper (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 3, 2012

Colleagues ...

I am a neophyte about subtitling. This is my first foray. I have a .mov file of 1.41 minutes long, and I have already created the .srt file with the timing and translated subtitles.

Using VLC Media Player, I play the MOV and the SRT together and they fit perfectly and all looks well.

Now I want to output to a video/movie file that has the subtitles embedded. VLC Media Player does not do that.

I have looked at a number of options
... See more
Colleagues ...

I am a neophyte about subtitling. This is my first foray. I have a .mov file of 1.41 minutes long, and I have already created the .srt file with the timing and translated subtitles.

Using VLC Media Player, I play the MOV and the SRT together and they fit perfectly and all looks well.

Now I want to output to a video/movie file that has the subtitles embedded. VLC Media Player does not do that.

I have looked at a number of options on the Web (like EasiestSoft and Subtitle Workshop), including their documentation, and I do not find any good instructions using the search string 'add SRT to MOV file.' I see plenty of instructions on how to create subtitles. But I have done that already — my SRT file.

For this little project and for the time being, I prefer freeware for this one-off.

Can you recommend an application that will combine my SRT into a MOV (or AVI, etc.) output file?

Thanks ...

Dave Cooper
Roermond
LIMBURG
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Not free but low cost May 3, 2012

Hallo Dave, you did not mention whether you are using Windows or Mac. For Mac there's a tiny application called Kolibri available from the App store which is only around 35 euros and works. You may want to give it a try.

Good luck!

Monica

Dave Cooper (X)
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 ... May 3, 2012

Monica ...

D'oh!

Windows 7 is the OS. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Dave Cooper
Roermond
LIMBURG

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Any Video Converter May 3, 2012

I think you can do it with Any Video Converter:
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

There is a(n excellent to have, anyway) free version, and a relatively inexpensive ($44.95) full version. Not sure if the free one adds subtitles, worth a try.

Dave Cooper (X)
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freeware that will embed .srt into .mov output ... May 4, 2012

Colleagues ...

I got my task done, and all with freeware, so I should tell you how that happened on Windows 7 OS so that others can possibly find this useful.

First, thanks to the kind people here who shared.

The task was to translate the English text of a marketing animated slide show for a major computer/web corporation. The slide show was only 1.43 minutes long using lots of American business, computer and web jargon. It comprised of 186 words and was in
... See more
Colleagues ...

I got my task done, and all with freeware, so I should tell you how that happened on Windows 7 OS so that others can possibly find this useful.

First, thanks to the kind people here who shared.

The task was to translate the English text of a marketing animated slide show for a major computer/web corporation. The slide show was only 1.43 minutes long using lots of American business, computer and web jargon. It comprised of 186 words and was in MOV format.

1. I created an SRT file of the translated text and the start and end times for each text per frame. I used VLC Media Player to view the MOV file and to get the timing information.
2. By dragging and dropping the SRT into a paused VLC Media Player with the MOV file playing, I could test to see how the subtitles displayed.
3. For output I needed an AVI file with the embedded subtitles, so I used Any Video Converter (thanks José) to convert the MOV file to AVI.
4. Then to embed the subtitles in the SRT into the AVI output, I used AVI ReComp.

Regards ...

Dave Cooper
Roermond
LIMBURG
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Another option May 4, 2012

I thought AVC would do the job without converting to AVI.

Once you've converted your video into AVI, you can use VirtualDub with its Subtitler plugin to burn SSA subtitle files (either Subtitle Workshop or Media Subtitler will do it). This generates such sharp subtitles, that they are usually sharper than the video itself. Then you can use AVC to convert it into any format you want.

Most - if not all - answers on digital
... See more
I thought AVC would do the job without converting to AVI.

Once you've converted your video into AVI, you can use VirtualDub with its Subtitler plugin to burn SSA subtitle files (either Subtitle Workshop or Media Subtitler will do it). This generates such sharp subtitles, that they are usually sharper than the video itself. Then you can use AVC to convert it into any format you want.

Most - if not all - answers on digital video may be found at http://www.videohelp.com .
Collapse

Dave Cooper (X)
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Another option May 4, 2012

José ...

AVC may very well do the job. I was using the freeware version by the way. I only wanted an AVI to show the agent. The client actually did not want the subtitles embedded in the MOV; they were going to do that themselves.

As I mentioned this is my first foray into subtitling and it was more an exercise then anything else.

Thanks for the link to Videohelp.com.

Regards ...

Dave Cooper
Roermond
LIMBURG

Zehavit Ehre
Zehavit Ehre  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:36
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thanks for sharing your insights May 7, 2012

I have learned a thing or two myself.
So far I have given the SRT and the video file to a video editor to do the burning.
I also have Any Video Converted and VLC, but didn't know I can do it myself.
Next time I need to do so, I will give it a try according to what has been written here.
Best wishes,
Zehavit Ehre

Zehavit Ehre
Zehavit Ehre  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:36
English to Hebrew
+ ...
sorry for the typo May 7, 2012

Any Video Converted=Any Video Converter

Yasser Salama

easily add .srt to mov Dec 20, 2012

i know a step by step guide on how to add subtitle .srt to avi, or .ass, .ssa, .idx, .sub and etc to avi at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-add-subtitles-to-avi.html

in fact, this guide also applies to add all kinds of subtitles to mov

why not have a free try?

hope it helps

thanks Feb 18, 2013

thanks for sharing this useful guide, it will be better if this method is totally free, anyway it helps me a lot

lemattinew
lemattinew
China
How to embed srt into mov Jul 31, 2018

xxxDave Cooper wrote:

Colleagues ...

I have looked at a number of options on the Web (like EasiestSoft and Subtitle Workshop), including their documentation, and I do not find any good instructions using the search string 'add SRT to MOV file.' I see plenty of instructions on how to create subtitles. But I have done that already — my SRT file.

For this little project and for the time being, I prefer freeware for this one-off.

Can you recommend an application that will combine my SRT into a MOV (or AVI, etc.) output file?

Thanks ...

Dave Cooper
Roermond
LIMBURG

You may prefer to this guide: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/add-subtitle-to-video.html

It will tell you how to add subtitles in srt, ass, etc to video MOV, MP4, AVI and more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freeware that will embed .srt into .mov output ...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »