[Subtitling Rates] Price for translating and editing subtitles german to serbian
Thread poster: Vukan Mihailovic de Deo (X)
Vukan Mihailovic de Deo (X)
Vukan Mihailovic de Deo (X)
Germany
Local time: 14:04
German to Serbian
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

Hello dear friends,
I would like to know how much money can I demand for translating and editing subtitles from german to serbian as txt data with time codes. I would also be grateful to learn quickly how to do this
Thanks a lot and best regards,
Vukan

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-15 18:08 GMT]

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:04
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
quick guide to subtitling Feb 9, 2009

Hi Vulkan,

Let's start with the 2nd question first, "quickly learn how to do anything" (driving a car, open heart surgery, build a nuclear powerplant, parachuting etc... usually means prepare for disaster, so if you don't have some basic idea on how to go about substitling, it's probably not for you...
Read up on the various guides, tips and hints of people on this subject first and then you can ask more questions.
On the other hand, if you have plenty of time, just jump
... See more
Hi Vulkan,

Let's start with the 2nd question first, "quickly learn how to do anything" (driving a car, open heart surgery, build a nuclear powerplant, parachuting etc... usually means prepare for disaster, so if you don't have some basic idea on how to go about substitling, it's probably not for you...
Read up on the various guides, tips and hints of people on this subject first and then you can ask more questions.
On the other hand, if you have plenty of time, just jump in on the deep end, install some subtitling program and start working...

On the first question, you are living in Germany, so I guess the rate is not that different from the Netherlands, "normal" (but what is normal these days) prices for spotted material is around 4-5 euros, (but I have seem 2,50 - 3 already) if you have to spot it (place time codes) yourself, probably around 6-8 euros.

Now, Serbian might be considered something more exotic, so if they really need this done you might get away with ASKING a little extra...

greetings
Ed
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
There are no shortcuts Feb 9, 2009

Translation is "easy" to learn. All you need is to master understanding and expression in two languages. Usually it only takes some 5 to 10 years to get started.

No, I'm not guessing. I studied Italian for 4 years, and French for 3 years. Though I can communicate in both, I don't translate from/to them. I know exactly how much more I'd have to study and practice before beginning to do so.

From the first video I translated for subtitling to the first fully-authore
... See more
Translation is "easy" to learn. All you need is to master understanding and expression in two languages. Usually it only takes some 5 to 10 years to get started.

No, I'm not guessing. I studied Italian for 4 years, and French for 3 years. Though I can communicate in both, I don't translate from/to them. I know exactly how much more I'd have to study and practice before beginning to do so.

From the first video I translated for subtitling to the first fully-authored, interactive, subtitled DVD I made, only six months elapsed. However before that I had been translating videos for accurate lip-sync dubbing for 18 years! I had also witnessed the whole post-translation process more times than I could ask for. So it was a matter of adapting my well-known working methods for a new purpose, learning its rules, and how to use some new software.

The latter part of it - the subtitling technique - may be learned from the tutorials available at http://www.videohelp.com . However video translation calls for a whole set of additional skills. You may take a course on them, and get some practice thereafter, but this won't happen overnight.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] Price for translating and editing subtitles german to serbian

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »