Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2008

Hi all,
I've searched the Internet, Video Help and the Media Subtitler help guide, but I can't find out how to set the line width. Perhaps it's not possible?
Thanks in advance,
Helen

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Line width is a consequence of other settings and other software Oct 13, 2008

Ciao, Linda,

As far as I know, line width is the result of other settings, such as font type and font size. If a subtitle overflows the screen, you'll only see part of it.

In the SSA format, you may set side and bottom margins. Applying the subs on VirtualDub, if you disable the automatic line break, the side margins settings will work only for left- and right-justified subs. The centered ones will go as far as they need. If you enable the automatic line b
... See more
Ciao, Linda,

As far as I know, line width is the result of other settings, such as font type and font size. If a subtitle overflows the screen, you'll only see part of it.

In the SSA format, you may set side and bottom margins. Applying the subs on VirtualDub, if you disable the automatic line break, the side margins settings will work only for left- and right-justified subs. The centered ones will go as far as they need. If you enable the automatic line break, and have made some lines too long, you'll wind up with 3, 4 or more lines in your subs.

Line breaking is often handled by the subtitle rendering software, if there is such setting there. In programs that use TXT files, most of the settings will be made or overridden there.

So it's not only a matter of Media Subtitler, but also the program that will actually use the files generated with it.

Hope this helps.

[]s
Jose

[Edited at 2008-10-13 13:25]
Collapse

Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:12
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As I thought... Oct 13, 2008

Thanks, Jose. That's a huge help. I thought that was probably the case, but I wanted to make sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Media Subtitler: line width

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »