ApSIX Xbench - excluding a target term
Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
French to English
Feb 11, 2011

I use ApSIC Xbench (version 2.8) to search my TMs for previous translations of terms.

Now, I know that if I enter a word in the Source Term field, AND a word in the Target Term field, results are limited to those TM segments (and glossary entries etc.) where BOTH terms appear. So if I enter valorisation as the Source and recovery in Target Term, I see only those instances where I have translated valorisation as recovery. So far so good.

My question is, is there a way to
... See more
I use ApSIC Xbench (version 2.8) to search my TMs for previous translations of terms.

Now, I know that if I enter a word in the Source Term field, AND a word in the Target Term field, results are limited to those TM segments (and glossary entries etc.) where BOTH terms appear. So if I enter valorisation as the Source and recovery in Target Term, I see only those instances where I have translated valorisation as recovery. So far so good.

My question is, is there a way to find those instances where the target does NOT include the word recovery. I've been looking at the Regular Expression mode for some way to specify something along the lines of 'does not include "recovery"', but without much success. Well, without any success!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
English to Hungarian
+ ...
feel the power Feb 11, 2011

Power search gives you that option. If memory serves, you need to type a - sign right before your search term and pick power search from the dropdown list (or press ctrl-p). In power search mode, put phrases in double quotes (or else you'll get hits that contain your search terms in any order).

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found! Feb 11, 2011

Brilliant - and easy to remember (I was fearing a regex with [] and stuff!). I'd been playing with (for not equal), using 'minus' never occurred to me. My gratitude is boundless (the hours I've spent on this over the last few months...*shudder*).

Did I miss some obvious source of information, or did you experiment, or apply some technical intution?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Options Feb 11, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Brilliant - and easy to remember (I was fearing a regex with [] and stuff!). I'd been playing with < > (for not equal), using 'minus' never occurred to me. My gratitude is boundless (the hours I've spent on this over the last few months...*shudder*).

Did I miss some obvious source of information, or did you experiment, or apply some technical intution?

I'm not sure how I discovered it, probably from noticing the "more options" arrow beside the search button to the right of the search field. Then I must have looked up the documentation to see what power search is. It is full is boolean search (a lot like google): "" for literal search, words separated by spaces for occurrence in any order, - for exclusion and OR for alternatives.

So:
"this term" OR "that term"
will get you hits that contain either "this term" or "that term"

while

this OR that term
will get you hits that contan the words "this" and "term" or "that" and "term" in any order.

this term -"this term"
should give you results that contain both "this" and "term", but not following each other.

You can't do
"this OR that term"
like you can in google, though... oh well.

You can also use regex if you want to: Switch on search options in the view menu, and you get a dropdown box with "simple", regex and MS Word search modes, so there is a total of 4 search modes. The Search options also contain a lot of very useful search refinements like case sensitive and match whole word, with work with regular search (not sure if they also apply to power search). Xbench has by far the most advanced search interface of all translation-related tools I have come across, I just hope they introduce indexing sometime soon to support large databases better and it'll be perfect. Two-way source/target/both search, hit count display, case sensitive on/off and whole word search already put it head and shoulders above CAT tools, power search is just icing on the cake. A lot of delicious icing ; )

Note: you can't just type angle brackets, the forum will eat them for breakfast. Use character entities: &lt; and &gt;

[Edited at 2011-02-11 17:55 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Much obliged Feb 11, 2011

Useful info, thanks very much. I knew about the powersearch function in terms of Ctrl+P, but only as a kind of match finder for finding anything at all included in the Search Term field, either with or without Whole Word checked depending on what I wanted. You have provided me with a whole range of new levels of sophistication

Thanks again, and have a good weekend.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
ApSIC Xbench documentation Feb 11, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Did I miss some obvious source of information ...?

Yes, you missed the User Guide (page 27) and Help (Searching Terminology - Advanced Features).

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh the shame...! Feb 11, 2011

RTFM, for sure

Thing is, it never crossed my mind there was a manual. I know, it's absurd. Now you've mentioned it, it's sitting there, untouched, in the same folder as the .exe file, as it has surely been since the day I downloaded it. Sure enough, p.27 has all I ever wanted to know. What can I say? I'm used to most applications having help included within the app itself, especially when there's a "help" tab, and per
... See more
RTFM, for sure

Thing is, it never crossed my mind there was a manual. I know, it's absurd. Now you've mentioned it, it's sitting there, untouched, in the same folder as the .exe file, as it has surely been since the day I downloaded it. Sure enough, p.27 has all I ever wanted to know. What can I say? I'm used to most applications having help included within the app itself, especially when there's a "help" tab, and perhaps they could include a reminder in there, but it's no excuse. I feel such a numpty. But nonetheless, thanks for reminding me it was - and is - there.
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
RTFM Feb 12, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:
RTFM, for sure

Had to check - how reassuring that it's got its own web page...;)
(Well, asterisks to stand in for the word, to avoid...)
http://www.readthe*******manual.com/

[Edited at 2011-02-12 01:11 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:26
German to English
No shame Feb 12, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

RTFM, for sure
[snip]
I'm used to most applications having help included within the app itself, especially when there's a "help" tab

No shame, Charlie. No one expects the developer of a program distributed at no cost to have a manual. Even Microsoft doesn't include a manual with its products, which is why aftermarket manuals sell so well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ApSIX Xbench - excluding a target term

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »