Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
French to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2010

Hello,

I use Abbyy to convert pdf files to Word and whilst I'm generally happy with the output, I do find that it's impossible to change the page layout of the resulting Word file. This isn't normally a problem but one of my clients is insisting that I use their page template and I cannot change the margins to comply. I'd hate to lose the client, but equally I don't want to translate the documents without my TM and the associated context search and glossary benefits, so I don't know
... See more
Hello,

I use Abbyy to convert pdf files to Word and whilst I'm generally happy with the output, I do find that it's impossible to change the page layout of the resulting Word file. This isn't normally a problem but one of my clients is insisting that I use their page template and I cannot change the margins to comply. I'd hate to lose the client, but equally I don't want to translate the documents without my TM and the associated context search and glossary benefits, so I don't know what to do! Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried copying all the text to a blank file with the client's template, but the layout of the converted file seems to override the template.

Many thanks,

Claire
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:18
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use other Page Layout options Nov 2, 2010

I don't have an English language version, but they should be called Formatted text and Plain text. You'll find them under Tools, Options, Save, RTF/DOC.....

The result will be less accurate as far as the formatting is concerned, but it will be easier for you to copy and paste.

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
The problem usually is columns... Nov 2, 2010

In my experience ABBY and other OCR software I have used, like to convert text by integrating columns in the text. This usually prevents you from adjusting the margins or changing paper size from, let's say US Letter to A4.

Now, I would usually select all (Ctrl+A) and select single column from the formatting toolbar in Word 2003 or the Page Layout ribbon in Word 2007. This should solve your problem.

However, if the problem still persists, turn on invisibles and get rid
... See more
In my experience ABBY and other OCR software I have used, like to convert text by integrating columns in the text. This usually prevents you from adjusting the margins or changing paper size from, let's say US Letter to A4.

Now, I would usually select all (Ctrl+A) and select single column from the formatting toolbar in Word 2003 or the Page Layout ribbon in Word 2007. This should solve your problem.

However, if the problem still persists, turn on invisibles and get rid of all column breaks and section breaks. Try adjusting the margins now. I think it should do the trick. (If you really need sections breaks, you can always add them in manually after you have adjusted the margins).

I hope this helps. Cheers.

If you need any more help, I'll be more than glad to oblige.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Formatting... Nov 2, 2010

I have come to hate all formatting with a heated passion.
If you can afford to do so, just get rid of it and all your problems will be gone.
Copy the text to Notepad or some other text editor, then copy to an empty Word document.
Of course you lose all bold/italic/large/small/"title 6 with a gray shadow" text formats all the rubbish like textboxes and other layout trickery, but you also lose all the associated problems as well. If the input text wasn't heavily formatted or you
... See more
If you can afford to do so, just get rid of it and all your problems will be gone.
Copy the text to Notepad or some other text editor, then copy to an empty Word document.
Of course you lose all bold/italic/large/small/"title 6 with a gray shadow" text formats all the rubbish like textboxes and other layout trickery, but you also lose all the associated problems as well. If the input text wasn't heavily formatted or you don't have to reproduce the formatting, you'll be better off for it.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I quite agree Nov 2, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

There is nothing I like better than seleting all and then "clear formatting"

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
yes Nov 2, 2010

that was a good question, I found the same with Abby very annoying with the page format

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2010

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. Next time the problem arises I shall have a raft of solutions to choose from. I don't need to reproduce the original formatting, so selecting plain text in Abbyy should work, or copying all the text to Notepad as plain text and then into the client's blank template would work too. I really appreciate all your help!

All the best,

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing format in files converted with Abbyy

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »