Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Paesi Bassi
Local time: 23:00
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 24, 2010

G'day everyone

I have a PDF file of 500 pages, and on every page the word "color" occurs 3 or 4 times, and the client wants me to mark them all and add a comment/note/annotation to them. The note I have to add is always the same, but my current PDF tool (PDF XChange) doesn't support batch annotation work. This means that I would have to select every instance of "color" individually, double-click, right-click, etc, individually. I'm paid by the hour, so that's no problem, but this
... See more
G'day everyone

I have a PDF file of 500 pages, and on every page the word "color" occurs 3 or 4 times, and the client wants me to mark them all and add a comment/note/annotation to them. The note I have to add is always the same, but my current PDF tool (PDF XChange) doesn't support batch annotation work. This means that I would have to select every instance of "color" individually, double-click, right-click, etc, individually. I'm paid by the hour, so that's no problem, but this is going to be *boring* and I'd rather automate it.

Do you know of a way in which one can use Find/Replace in a PDF annotation program to add notes, comments or annotations?

I can automate it myself if the process can be done using the keyboard only (i.e. no mouse).

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2010-10-24 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

elzbieta jatowt
elzbieta jatowt  Identity Verified
Francia
Da Francese a Polacco
+ ...
Batch annotating PDFs Oct 24, 2010

Hi,
Try this one: Foxit Reader.

Franela

Karen Ordanic
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Da Inglese a Croato
+ ...
PDF Annotator Free Download Oct 24, 2010

30-day free trial:

http://www.pdfannotator.com/indexg.php?ref=adwords&campaign=anotate&adgroup=pdf-annotation&ad=047&gclid=CLDks5XU66QCFQu87QodWmse1g

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Nitro PDF Professional -- can't do it, but best option so far Oct 24, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
Do you know of a way in which one can use Find/Replace in a PDF annotation program to add notes, comments or annotations?

I downloaded and tried... Nitro PDF Professional, but...

* I can't figure out in what way it cripples edited PDFs (i.e. watermark, truncation etc).
* Ctrl+F doesn't always start a search -- you have to click in the Search box with your mouse (although if there is a search already in the box, then Ctrl+F activates it).
* Search selects a word, but there is no way to add a comment to the selected text.
* You have to add comments by selecting the text with your mouse, manually.
* Double-click a word highlights it, double-clicking it again brings up the note field (with cursor in it), and double-clicking it again hides the note field again. This is potentially useful.
* There is "Find Next" button but no keyboard shortcut for it.

[Edited at 2010-10-24 14:34 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
PDF Annotator -- can't do it Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, I downloaded it and tried it, but I can't figure out how to make annotations with it. I can add text to the PDF, add drawings, add pseudo-highlighting, add lines etc, but I can't add notes with text in them, it seems. Do you know PDF Annotator (since you recommend it)? How does one add a note (or a comment) in which the content of the comment is hidden but the comment's anchor is visible (either as a little icon or as highlighted text)?

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Foxit Reader -- can't do it Oct 24, 2010

franela wrote:
Try this one: Foxit Reader.

Thanks, I tried it, but it doesn't seem to be batch friendly.

Ctrl+F does find a word, but you can't do anything with that word once it is found. You can't highlight a word unless you use the mouse, and highlighting is even less user-friendly in Foxit because the highlight only becomes visible after you've double-clicked the word that you have just highlighted. Double-clicking a word does not select it (like Nitro does). Notes can also only be added using the mouse. Hence I can't think of a way to automate adding annotations in Foxit. Am I missing something that you know of?

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
VeryPDF PDF Editor -- can't do it Oct 24, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

VeryPDF PDF Editor has one redeeming feature, namely that when you do a search, it's search box contains a list of all the lines in which your search term occurs, which you can click to go to that line directly.

When you add a note in VeryPDF PDF Editor, the note appears in the centre of the screen, and you have to move it with your mouse to the right position before adding text to it. It doesn't seem to have a text highlight feature. As with the other tools, there is no way to add a note or comment or annotation using the keyboard only -- you have to use the mouse. So I can't see how automation or batch processing would be possible in VeryPDF PDF Editor.

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
CAD KAS PDF Editor -- can't do it Oct 24, 2010

I also tried CAD KAS PDF Editor. It seems comprehensive with many features, but it can't highlight words only (only full lines). The search feature crashes on my computer, so I'm not sure how it works.

Samuel Murray
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Visagesoft's eXPert PDF Editor -- can't do it Oct 24, 2010

I also tried eXPert PDF Editor, which can only do 2 pages in trial mode and prints a huge watermark across the page. It appears to be a good tool for general PDF editing, but the highlight tool highlights large chunks of text at a time (multiline). The note adding tool adds a note at the mouse position, but you have to click in the text field before pasting a comment.

The search function also lists all occurances in the search box, but you *have to* click on them to go to the inst
... See more
I also tried eXPert PDF Editor, which can only do 2 pages in trial mode and prints a huge watermark across the page. It appears to be a good tool for general PDF editing, but the highlight tool highlights large chunks of text at a time (multiline). The note adding tool adds a note at the mouse position, but you have to click in the text field before pasting a comment.

The search function also lists all occurances in the search box, but you *have to* click on them to go to the instances throughout the file. So, this tool won't work for me either.
Collapse

I have a solution Nov 14, 2010

Hi Samuel

I have written a script in Acrobat to do such a task.

If you would like to email me the pdf together with the comments you would like added I will add annotations and send back.

Kind regards

Mat

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

I have a PDF file of 500 pages, and on every page the word "color" occurs 3 or 4 times, and the client wants me to mark them all and add a comment/note/annotation to them. The note I have to add is always the same, but my current PDF tool (PDF XChange) doesn't support batch annotation work. This means that I would have to select every instance of "color" individually, double-click, right-click, etc, individually. I'm paid by the hour, so that's no problem, but this is going to be *boring* and I'd rather automate it.

I can automate it myself if the process can be done using the keyboard only (i.e. no mouse).

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2010-10-24 14:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Batch annotating PDFs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »