Holly Hart
Holly Hart  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2023

Just want to warn everyone of someone who contacted me from the Proz site about a sizeable job that they were willing to pay for most of in advance by cashier's check, but when the check arrived, it was for considerably more. She stated then that they decided to have a 2nd file translated too and that was what the additional funds were for. Next day, an urgent email comes that her sponsor's son was in an accident and they need the funds from the second document to be returned (also because they ... See more
Just want to warn everyone of someone who contacted me from the Proz site about a sizeable job that they were willing to pay for most of in advance by cashier's check, but when the check arrived, it was for considerably more. She stated then that they decided to have a 2nd file translated too and that was what the additional funds were for. Next day, an urgent email comes that her sponsor's son was in an accident and they need the funds from the second document to be returned (also because they decided to use that doc in a seminar later in the year...). I got suspicious, and although the check had supposedly cleared my bank, I went to my bank and then discovered the routing number for the bank on the check did not exist, so the check was fraudulent. Her name is Linda Alcantara. 561 area code. Smooth operator.

[Edited at 2023-04-13 01:47 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolai Wacht

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:56
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Well known scam Apr 13, 2023

"She" will probably use a different name next time, but the scam is one of the oldest in the books (search for "overpayment scam"). Never trust a check with more than the agreed amount. Well done for not going through with this.

Have you reported this to Proz.com?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
philgoddard
Michele Fauble
writeaway
expressisverbis
Nicolai Wacht

Sam Habach
Sam Habach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Swedish to English
+ ...
I was just contacted by "her" Jun 25, 2023

I received an email from "her" last week, and she just replied and asked for my personal information to send me a so-called "cashier check"

Obviously a scammer. Be aware!

Nicolai Wacht

Holly Hart
Holly Hart  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm glad I posted this and that it helped at least one person Jun 25, 2023

This woman was extremely professional, convincing and polite, up to the point where the check bounced and she became mean and persistent. Just don't be convinced to waste your time and effort translating for nothing.

Nicolai Wacht

Peter Oliver Flynn
Peter Oliver Flynn
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same Jul 19, 2023

I was just contacted by "Linda Delgado" the IP address is from Germany. The document was about forensic anthropology with a ton of typos. Seems to definitely be a scam.

Nicolai Wacht

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
For the millionth time Jul 19, 2023

Before anything else, ask yourself Why!?!?! Why would anyone be willing to pay highest market rates upfront for a highly specialized scientific subject to a stranger aka translator who does not advertise anything even remotely close to the field??? No tests, no questions, no samples, no negotiations… That’s what they do to you - keep you mesmerized by big easy money to the point of losing every last bit of common sense and adult approach to the real world.

Sorry buy shock therap
... See more
Before anything else, ask yourself Why!?!?! Why would anyone be willing to pay highest market rates upfront for a highly specialized scientific subject to a stranger aka translator who does not advertise anything even remotely close to the field??? No tests, no questions, no samples, no negotiations… That’s what they do to you - keep you mesmerized by big easy money to the point of losing every last bit of common sense and adult approach to the real world.

Sorry buy shock therapy is in order again since it seems like a new round of those ancient scams is very active again.
Collapse

Nicolai Wacht
Daryo
Dan Lucas
Liviu-Lee Roth

Nicolai Wacht
Nicolai Wacht
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam Still Going Aug 9, 2023

Can confirm this person is still attempting the same scam as of August 9th, 2023.

Lots of red flags but entertained it for a bit anyway.

Cashier's check sends, bounces, emergency request of nearly $700 USD over Zelle.

Currently using email and number +1 (561) 392-1783.

Same project on Forensic Anthropology and same story.

Be warned when anyone asks to pay up front, does not care about formatting of the final product, gives no
... See more
Can confirm this person is still attempting the same scam as of August 9th, 2023.

Lots of red flags but entertained it for a bit anyway.

Cashier's check sends, bounces, emergency request of nearly $700 USD over Zelle.

Currently using email and number +1 (561) 392-1783.

Same project on Forensic Anthropology and same story.

Be warned when anyone asks to pay up front, does not care about formatting of the final product, gives no translation test or requirements, asks for your personal information including phone number, the list goes on...

Do not bother!
Collapse

Felipe Correa
Felipe Correa
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oh no! Aug 28, 2023

I wish I had found this thread earlier. I went through the same process. Since I'm fairly new to the translation community, I didn't think much of it.

She gave me the same forensic anthropology paper. I made it nice and neat.

She sent me an email saying that the payment was sent but it took forever to arrive. Tried to cash it but I couldn't.

Finally got suspicious and looked up her number and that's when I found this post. All those hours for nothing :'((
... See more
I wish I had found this thread earlier. I went through the same process. Since I'm fairly new to the translation community, I didn't think much of it.

She gave me the same forensic anthropology paper. I made it nice and neat.

She sent me an email saying that the payment was sent but it took forever to arrive. Tried to cash it but I couldn't.

Finally got suspicious and looked up her number and that's when I found this post. All those hours for nothing :'((((

I got her as "Linda Flora". Just don't know why they would do this.

Anyways, I hope more people see this post. She's into some major BS.

Lesson learned for sure.
Collapse

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 17:56
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
ProZ.com's risk management center Sep 3, 2023

Hi, everyone,

I am sorry to hear that you've been targeted by online scammers.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to please report the email and IP address to ProZ.com Staff by submitting a support request »

Confirmed sc
... See more
Hi, everyone,

I am sorry to hear that you've been targeted by online scammers.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to please report the email and IP address to ProZ.com Staff by submitting a support request »

Confirmed scammers are logged on the ProZ.com Scam Alert Archive, which you can find here »

Additionally, remember that you can restrict who can email you based on their account and membership status; and you can block emails, IP addresses, domains and ProZ.com accounts here »

I'd also like to share with you this link to a guide on how to evaluate a new outsourcer »

I hope you find this useful!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paymt in advance by cashier's check: SCAM by Linda Alcantara

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »