Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro
Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:32
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
Thank you! Jun 12, 2023

Maria Suescum wrote:

I received a request from a Proz user, Md Omar Faruk, asking me to apply for work. There are no reviews from him. Bering is a South Korean company and the writer is located in Bangladesh. It is tempting, but when I searched the website for Bering Lab and Bering Legal, the website is beringlegal.com not beringl.com so I don't trust it. Sad to let this go, scammers are so clever these days.

Hi Maria,

I'm the Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator of Bering
Lab, a translation agency based in Korea, with specialty in
highly
specialized/regulated areas such as legal, patents, life
sciences, and financial.

We are seeing a growing demand for ENSpanish translation
work. Browsing through your profile, I noticed that you have
done work
as a legal translator. Just wondering if you are still
available and interested in such work as a part-time
freelancer?

If so, please complete a short form at apply.beringl.com and
we will be in touch with you shortly.

All the best

Md Omar Faruk
Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator
Bering Lab Inc

Just got contacted last weekend. Thank you for posting this, Maria! It really saves my day.

This is his message via Linkedin:

Hi Renaldi,

I'm the Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator of Bering Lab, a translation agency based in Korea, with specialty in highly specialized/regulated areas such as legal, patents, life sciences, and financial.

We are seeing a growing demand for ENIndonesian translation work. Browsing through your profile, I noticed that you have done work as a Patent Translator. Just wondering if you are still available and interested in such work as a part-time freelancer? We have an impending project about to start soon, so would appreciate your prompt response.

If so, please complete a short form at apply.beringl.com and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Thank you
Md Omar Faruk
Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator
Bering Lab Inc

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:32
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Received the same scam today, in June 2023 Jun 12, 2023

So, they are still using the same email after more than 2 years.
I received the following from Flickinger Elzabeth :
email 1:
Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated
to Arabic . I would like to know if you are interested please get back sapa
==============================
email 2:

"I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a
... See more
So, they are still using the same email after more than 2 years.
I received the following from Flickinger Elzabeth :
email 1:
Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated
to Arabic . I would like to know if you are interested please get back sapa
email 2:

"I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you but the payment can only made by CASHIER’S CHECK CHEQUE Or a MONEY

ORDER and is Within the US or Canada only, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me as soon as possible"

So, please be careful of those scamers, dear colleagues!
Collapse

Suzan Gendy
Suzan Gendy
Australia
Local time: 05:32
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I received the same scam Jun 13, 2023

I received the same scam email from someone called : Flickinger Elezbith. Emailed from: [email protected]

“I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 13th June 2023.Finally, what would be your preferred mode
... See more
I received the same scam email from someone called : Flickinger Elezbith. Emailed from: [email protected]

“I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 13th June 2023.Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you, I look forward to reading from you soon!”.

After I sent the quotation, I received the following email: “quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you but the payment can only made by CASHIER’S CHECK CHEQUE Or a MONEY
ORDER and is Within the US or Canada only, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me as soon as possible.”
Collapse

Michał Żymalski
Michał Żymalski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:32
Polish to English
+ ...
Same scam - Janet Smith Jun 16, 2023

I received the same scam. This time, the name of the sender was Janet Smith, e-mailed from: [email protected].

Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated to Polish. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap.
Second:
I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm yo
... See more
I received the same scam. This time, the name of the sender was Janet Smith, e-mailed from: [email protected].

Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated to Polish. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap.
Second:
I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 15 June-2023.Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you, I look forward to reading from you soon.
Collapse

Eleonora Maggi

Eleonora Maggi
Eleonora Maggi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2017)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
Same scam - Janet Smith Jun 22, 2023

I've been contacted with a message through my personal website, which sounded fishy from the beginning, and then "she" sent me the same messages reported by Michal.

How annoying!

Ilaria Lupone
Ilaria Lupone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2022)
German to Italian
+ ...
Same scam - Janet Smith Jul 2, 2023

I received the same scam. She has put 4 translators and me in cc and that's very strange. Moreover, her name sounds quite odd. If you search on the internet, you get results about an American philosopher!

Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated to Italian. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap.

I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can y
... See more
I received the same scam. She has put 4 translators and me in cc and that's very strange. Moreover, her name sounds quite odd. If you search on the internet, you get results about an American philosopher!

Greetings,I have an English content document. I need this document translated to Italian. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap.

I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 2 July-2023. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you, I look forward to reading from you soon
Collapse

Erin LaFargue
Erin LaFargue
United States
Local time: 12:32
Member (2023)
Spanish to English
Scam: Forensic Anthropologist and Their Roles Phase 1 Jul 2, 2023

I had the same scam just happen to me with a Linda Eugene for a Spanish to English translation. The responses I've seen in this thread, and the similar documents titles is what made it clear that this was a scam.

I am interested in offering my services for individuals in case they need their personal documents or anything translated, but these are times where I question that desire. How can you work with individual and guarantee payment without leaving yourself vulnerable??? What m
... See more
I had the same scam just happen to me with a Linda Eugene for a Spanish to English translation. The responses I've seen in this thread, and the similar documents titles is what made it clear that this was a scam.

I am interested in offering my services for individuals in case they need their personal documents or anything translated, but these are times where I question that desire. How can you work with individual and guarantee payment without leaving yourself vulnerable??? What made me the most nervous is that they wanted my address! I'm really not interested in giving out my address to random people in the first place (and, of course, even less so a scammer!)

Email:

Linda Eugene
Jun 30, 2023, 7:18 AM (2 days ago)
to me

Thanks so much for your response.I agreed with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsored for a seminar coming up soon,so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again the Payment option is Cashier Check,The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

I will always count on you,

Respectfully
Collapse

tastycomm
tastycomm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2013)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same scam - Janet Smith Jul 4, 2023

Ilaria Lupone wrote:

I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 2 July-2023. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you, I look forward to reading from you soon

Same here. She offered to pay by cashier check or money order within the US only... and I'm based in Belgium (my signature would have told her the information, by the way), and she wanted a sworn translation, so it felt like a sort of Mission Impossible, so I blocked her without even answering back. 🤣

Carolina Archer

Ann Cheung
Ann Cheung
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
The same scam lasts four years! Jul 4, 2023

Benoit Esmein wrote:

I fell for this scam earlier this year (in June, so before any mention was made of it on ProZ).

Person presented themselves as Anne May

There were red flags, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I did the work and received a check (for an amount way higher than the amount due, which was supposed to cover phase 2) which I proceeded to check, and which turned out to be fraudulent.

They immediately pretended that phase 2 of their seminar was cancelled or pushed back, and asked me to refund the amount overpaid.

I said I wouldn't be refunding anything until their check had cleared. I realised too late that this was a scam.

As a result of the false check, my bank froze my bank accounts for 2 weeks, and I lost 16 hours of work. Fortunately, though, I had the good sense not to send any money.

These scams seem to become more and more frequent. I have been working for 5 years, never had one before, and I had 4 this year.

I'm sorry that this happened to you Benoit and thank you all for sharing this with us.

I received an email today, replied and got the second email. The first red flag was that she didn't even give me her name in these emails, which seemed extremely odd. So I copied the title of the document she sent and pasted it on Google. The first thing popped up was this post on ProZ. That's when I knew for sure this was a scam.

The first message was sent through ProZ:

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I will be glad if you can translat English to Chinese if
so reply via email [email protected]

The second email was sent to my email:

Hello I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?.The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30st/August /2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards

RuEn Translate
RuEn Translate
United States
Local time: 15:32
Russian to English
+ ...
PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 Jul 8, 2023

Just got this request via ProZ but to my personal e-mail
from Cheryl Kutscher [email protected]:

Hello, I need your service to translate from English to
Russian. You can contact me at [email protected]. I... See more
Just got this request via ProZ but to my personal e-mail
from Cheryl Kutscher [email protected]:

Russian. You can contact me at [email protected]. I
appreciate your quick response.

Best wishes,

-----------
Author: Cheryl Kutscher
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 154.6.82.14
-----------

Second e-mail with attachment:
Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30/July/2023.
Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for
the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with
you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Warm Regards,
Cheryl

Sent me 44 page document
Got suspicious because of the grammar and the contents of the e-mail, glad I checked. Thank you, ProZ!
Collapse

Henri Zmolek
Henri Zmolek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Japanese to English
Got this scam and almost fell for it had I not discovered this thread. Jul 11, 2023

I'm so glad that I found this thread because I had received this scam email too and was almost fully prepared to follow through on the job. While I am still immensely unnerved at the fact that I unwittingly gave them my personal details I'm still glad I discovered it was a scam before their fake check made its way to my doorstep. Once it does, I plan on ripping it apart, burning it, or both. I wish I had noticed the red flags sooner.

The weirdest thing about all of this is that I'm
... See more
I'm so glad that I found this thread because I had received this scam email too and was almost fully prepared to follow through on the job. While I am still immensely unnerved at the fact that I unwittingly gave them my personal details I'm still glad I discovered it was a scam before their fake check made its way to my doorstep. Once it does, I plan on ripping it apart, burning it, or both. I wish I had noticed the red flags sooner.

The weirdest thing about all of this is that I'm not even active on ProZ at all. I haven't completed a single job on this site and can barely even call myself a translator. My profile is run-down and bare bones enough as it is, and yet this complete stranger was willing to mail me over three thousand dollars for a translation job without even evaluating the quality of my translation first. In the heat of the moment I was too blinded by the riches to even recognize how much of a scam it was.

Japanese. You can contact me at [email protected]. I
appreciate your quick response.

Best wishes,

-----------
Author: Cheryl Kutscher
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 154.6.92.8
-----------
Collapse

Michael Bunn

Christelle Rousselle
Christelle Rousselle
France
English to French
+ ...
Received this scam a few days ago... Jul 24, 2023

Thank you to have posted this warning. This scam is still used, I received it directly from Helen Ryan ([email protected]), this story of bank check sounds weird and luckily for me, I made a little search and found this post... Be careful, don't get trapped!

Silvia Aquino
Silvia Aquino  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This old scam rides again! Jul 31, 2023

I´ve received an e-mail from a person who supposedly was registered at Proz, who found my email address at Proz directory asking to translate a document from English into Portuguese. I replied asking about the size, timing, and area of the document. The answer was "Thank you for your response. I´m pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document.....I'm proposing a cashier´s check or bank certified check for p... See more
I´ve received an e-mail from a person who supposedly was registered at Proz, who found my email address at Proz directory asking to translate a document from English into Portuguese. I replied asking about the size, timing, and area of the document. The answer was "Thank you for your response. I´m pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document.....I'm proposing a cashier´s check or bank certified check for payment". The document to be translated is Public Organisation Procedure, the same other scammers used.
I went to Google with the title of the document and I was directed to Proz and discovered that this is an old scam! I will not answer to it.
Silvia Aquino
Collapse

Márcio Badra

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
same request Aug 1, 2023

I got the same type of message from a James Taylor. Straight into my mail box - not through Proz. He even left a message on my voice mail (god knows how/where he found my phone number).
The document to be translated was for a co. named Lukso.
Payment in advance, by check and in US$ only.
Told him to get lost.

Enrica Nicoli Aldini
Enrica Nicoli Aldini
United States
Local time: 13:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Contacted on LinkedIn for this "job" by Henning Lawrence Aug 22, 2023

Thank God I thought to run a Google search for the title of the document and found this.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Henning Lawrence ([email protected]). As soon as I replied to the message, the thread disappeared on LinkedIn so that raised some initial suspicions. I was asked to translate the document from English into French, which is a stretch for me. I'm native Italian, near-native in English after living in the US for almost a decade, and French is one of my w
... See more
Thank God I thought to run a Google search for the title of the document and found this.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Henning Lawrence ([email protected]). As soon as I replied to the message, the thread disappeared on LinkedIn so that raised some initial suspicions. I was asked to translate the document from English into French, which is a stretch for me. I'm native Italian, near-native in English after living in the US for almost a decade, and French is one of my working languages but the weakest to perform an active translation in. Yet, looking at the text, it seemed doable. I asked for $0.15 a word, and he replied "I quite agree with your price quote." I had asked him to provide me with details on his role and organization, as well as the LinkedIn profile. He did send me the link, which opens on a blank page. That's when I ran the Google search and found this thread.

I was this close to accepting since the whole job would be worth $1,750. I'll probably report this to LinkedIn.

[Modificato alle 2023-08-22 19:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »