Thread poster: Suzy Pays
Suzy Pays
Suzy Pays
Cyprus
Local time: 14:43
Dutch to French
+ ...
Oct 30, 2017

Hello everybody, I am new to Proz.com but I have noticed that one company seems to scam us.
I do not want to name it in Public (can do in private) but they are looking for lots of translators, make you complete an easy test and say you failed it (I believe they use the translation you made for their clients and as it is a test they do not need to pay the freelance translator?). I might be wrong, but this is a suspicion.
Looking forward to hearing your comments..

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:43
English to Czech
+ ...
What are the grounds for your suspicion? Oct 30, 2017

see above

Suzy Pays
Suzy Pays
Cyprus
Local time: 14:43
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English to French translations Oct 30, 2017

hi, well their replies look like ''tickets'', I mean ''prepared answers'' and they said i failed because the client wanted someone with experience in finance (which I have), after I completed the test.

I can show you the emails I received from them so that you can understand what I mean.

Regards,

Suzanne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Oct 30, 2017

I’ve heard of that cunning behavior and read about it, but I have never seen any concrete proof or first-hand testimony. Anyway, that’s why when I’m asked to do a free test I always state that I will be more than happy to do it under the condition that it will not be used for any project work, unless it has been paid for in full.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
German to English
Unprofessional / inept behavior Oct 30, 2017

I've been at this for a while, and to be honest, apart from two deadbeat direct customers (one went bankrupt, the other fled town), I've never been cheated, nor have I dealt with a scamming agency. I did once hire a collection agency to recover payment, but the client was a poor businessman, not a crook.
However, I have come across inept behavior at agencies. The industry is full of inexperienced or dishonest project managers who promise the moon, but never deliver, or who lose documents o
... See more
I've been at this for a while, and to be honest, apart from two deadbeat direct customers (one went bankrupt, the other fled town), I've never been cheated, nor have I dealt with a scamming agency. I did once hire a collection agency to recover payment, but the client was a poor businessman, not a crook.
However, I have come across inept behavior at agencies. The industry is full of inexperienced or dishonest project managers who promise the moon, but never deliver, or who lose documents or don't send them in a timely manner, etc. These people don't usually last very long and negatively affect the reputation of their employer. There are also agencies with a deplorable attitude toward translators and who take advantage of the surfeit of suppliers and don't mind high turnover because there's always someone willing to take a job, despite low pay and unreasonable deadlines.

As Ms. Borges points out, there are urban legends regarding scamming agencies cobbling together test translations and submitting them as finished products to a customer, but I also have not seen concrete evidence of this. Such villainy may occur, but it is uncommon.

People fail test translations for a variety of reasons, some of which may seem arbitrary to the applicant, but an agency asking for tests and failing a high number of applicants is not necessarily indicative of a scam.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »