Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
米国
Local time: 00:06
ルーマニア語 から 英語
+ ...
Sep 1, 2012

Finally exposed !

Andrew Miller found out that I translate from Mongolian !!!!!! That was my big secret !!!!

-----Original Message-----
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Sent: Sat, Sep 1, 2012 6:16 am
Subject: Mongolian Translation Needed !!!

--
Greetings,
I need your service to translate this attached documents to
Mongolian.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear b
... See more
Finally exposed !

Andrew Miller found out that I translate from Mongolian !!!!!! That was my big secret !!!!

Subject: Mongolian Translation Needed !!!

--
Greetings,
Mongolian.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.
Thanks
Andrew

and ...... (look at the time it was sent - the same as the previous)

Subject: Moldovan Translation Needed !!!

--
Greetings,
Moldovan.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.
Thanks
Andrew

Stay safe !
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 21:06
2002に入会
ハンガリー語 から 英語
+ ...

モデレーター
Scam, of the more sophisticated variety Sep 1, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Please beware of a recent attempt that comes from a certain "Andrew Miller" (most likely not a real name) disguised as a translation request.

The header:
--
Date: September 1, 2012 2:36:30 AM PDT
Subject: Hungarian Translation Needed !!!

The message:
--
Greetings,... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Please beware of a recent attempt that comes from a certain "Andrew Miller" (most likely not a real name) disguised as a translation request.

The header:
--
Date: September 1, 2012 2:36:30 AM PDT
Subject: Hungarian Translation Needed !!!

The message:
--
Greetings,

Hungarian.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Thanks
Andrew

The dead giveaway is the file attachment "Regional Seminar on Economic Dynamics of Newly.doc" is conference paper, titled
Regional Seminar on Economic Dynamics of Newly Liberalized Telecommunication Markets in CEE Countries and Baltic States
Oct 24th-Oct 26th 2012
Andrew Miller
Market, Economics and Finance Unit

Looks legitimate and rather serious, doesn't it? Now, a quick net search and you'll find that this conference actually did take place, in 2004. The original paper with its true time, location and author:
Regional Seminar on Economic Dynamics of Newly Liberalized Telecommunication Markets in CEE Countries and Baltic States
Vilnius, Lithuania, 5-7 October 2004
Jaroslaw K. Ponder
Market, Economics and Finance Unit

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/finance/work-cost-tariffs/events/tariff-seminars/lithuania-04/final-report.pdf

This is one of the most sophisticated scams I have seen. Still, it's a scam that should be reported each time it pops up.

Stay safe, Everyone!
~Ildikó
Collapse

Ana Safrin
Ana Safrin
米国
英語 から ポルトガル語
Andrew Miller Sep 1, 2012

I just got an e-mail from this guy. I though it was one more scam, so I decided to answer him charging an amount 5x higher than the right price to be paid in advance. He answered and agreed with the fees, asked for my address to send a check. I will ignore it, because after researching I know it's not real. My question is: what does this guy get with this scam?

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
米国
ルーマニア語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Ana Sep 1, 2012

It is an overpayment scam. "His secretary" will send you a fake check for an amount way over what you asked, and asks you to return the difference.

Please read Enrique's thread about risk management.

best,
lee

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
ドイツ
Local time: 06:06
2009に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Indeed Sep 2, 2012

Ildiko Santana wrote:

This is one of the most sophisticated scams I have seen. Still, it's a scam that should be reported each time it pops up.

Stay safe, Everyone!
~Ildikó

Yes, this scam is an exception among the plump scams we usually see.
I agree that, regardless of how distinct or sophisticated these might be, they still need to be treated as merited: scams.

@ Lee, thank you for the reminder to keep reading Enrique's scam alerts. Better yet, subscribe to his daily or weekly scam reports.

Stay safe, and enjoy a scam-free September.

Thayenga

Ana Myriam Garro (X)
Ana Myriam Garro (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Though it is not about Andrew Miller, Sep 2, 2012

I smell something fishy in a mail I received on Friday, though I might be wrong.

Last Friday I received this email, with two files attached for translation:

"Collabration for Translation - English to Spanish - Sample File"

“Hello dear,

I hope you are fine.

If you didn't do any tests before please do this one if you can.

Please find attached sample files for translation (min.200-250 words to be translated per file).<
... See more
I smell something fishy in a mail I received on Friday, though I might be wrong.

Last Friday I received this email, with two files attached for translation:

"Collabration for Translation - English to Spanish - Sample File"

“Hello dear,

I hope you are fine.

If you didn't do any tests before please do this one if you can.

Please find attached sample files for translation (min.200-250 words to be translated per file).

Please rename the file as - "sample_your name_language.doc" when you return the same to us.

Note: It is a test file and is not chargeable.

Deliverables: Clean+ unclean + TM. (if CAT tool utilised)

Deadline: 31st August 2012 EOD

Kindly assure us that the sample is done by you.

Please confirm receipt.

Thanking you in advance for your attention in this regard.

Note: Please do not change the subject of the email”

This is the full text. It didn’t have any company logo, address, telephone number, web page and no contact person/department. The email address included the company name, but when I goggled it I didn’t’ find it. I looked for it in the Blue Board and it is not here. I have no idea of who sent the email, so I answered it saying that in order to do the test I needed more information about the company, the project, where they had obtained my information from, etc. I never received a reply. It was sent to me as a bcc, so I don't know if it was sent only to me or to more translators. I also tried to find the IP but I couldn't. I’m wondering if it is usual for companies/agencies to keep their information confidential. But I think that it is important to know whom I am dealing with. I would like your opinion about this. Thank you.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
ポーランド
2002に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...

モデレーター
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Myriam Sep 2, 2012

Could you please kindly contact me (I am sending you a message through you profile now) and forward me that message?

Many thanks,
Natalia

[Edited at 2012-09-02 13:30 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
ポーランド
2002に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...

モデレーター
SITE LOCALIZER
Known scammer Sep 2, 2012

Many thanks Myriam for providing me the headers: this is the same scammer as described in:
http://www.proz.com/topic/229648
http://www.proz.com/topic/230462

Take care,
Natalia

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
ポーランド
2010に入会
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
oh dear! Sep 2, 2012

Ana Myriam Garro wrote:

“Hello dear,

The mere "hello dear" without my name would trigger off the red-red-red alarm followed by my personal assistant Mr. Waste Basket

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
米国
ルーマニア語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...he goes in alphabetical order .... Sep 3, 2012

Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 1:32 am
Subject: Romanian Translation Needed !!!

--
Greetings,

Romanian.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Thanks
Andrew

I bet that Russian and Spanish are next !

Be aware
... See more
Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 1:32 am
Subject: Romanian Translation Needed !!!

--
Greetings,

Romanian.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Thanks
Andrew

I bet that Russian and Spanish are next !

Be aware and stay safe!

[Edited at 2012-09-03 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Myriam Garro (X)
Ana Myriam Garro (X)  Identity Verified
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
@ Natalia and Ewa Sep 3, 2012

@ Natalia, thanks a lot for your help!!

@ Ewa, you are absolutely right, but what surprised me much more was that I had never had any contact with that agency. Fortunately, I posted it here and now I know for sure that they are scammers. I still can't believe that this is happening!

Melissa Mann
Melissa Mann  Identity Verified
ブラジル
2009に入会
ポルトガル語 から 英語
+ ...
Just following up Sep 3, 2012

So I decided to see where "Andrew Miller" would go with this. After sending him my "rates" for English>Portuguese translations, I was sent this response - impressively crappy English indeed for a "native" speaker:

Am very much happy to read back from you and okay with the charges for the pages in which am sure it will be well prepared,easy and well understood by the reader.Can this be done by 20th of October?

Moreover,Kindly get back to me with information below:
... See more
So I decided to see where "Andrew Miller" would go with this. After sending him my "rates" for English>Portuguese translations, I was sent this response - impressively crappy English indeed for a "native" speaker:

Am very much happy to read back from you and okay with the charges for the pages in which am sure it will be well prepared,easy and well understood by the reader.Can this be done by 20th of October?

Moreover,Kindly get back to me with information below:

1: Your Full Name to be on the payment
2: Your Address and zip code
3: Your cell phone number

So i can instruct my financial secretary to issue out the full payment as soon as possible for the service.Do note that you will not release the translation to me not until have the payment with you.

I will need your immediate response via email assuring me that i can trust you to handle this with care

Best Regard
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
アルゼンチン
2006に入会
英語 から スペイン語
Scam alert issued Sep 3, 2012

Hi friends,

A scam alert was issued and then posted in the dedicated Wiki page. I included in the warning many of your valuable findings.

ProZ.com members can subscribe to these alerts, to receive via email all warnings or a weekly di
... See more
Hi friends,

A scam alert was issued and then posted in the dedicated Wiki page. I included in the warning many of your valuable findings.

ProZ.com members can subscribe to these alerts, to receive via email all warnings or a weekly digest.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Diego Rodriguez
Diego Rodriguez  Identity Verified
米国
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Just received that smelly scam Sep 3, 2012

Hi Guys.
I just got that Andrew email.

Thank you for the warning.
Stay safe.

"--
Greetings,

Spanish.Let me know your rate and charges..looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Thanks
Andrew"

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
米国
ルーマニア語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Melissa, looks familiar ? Sep 3, 2012

Hi Daniel,

I can do it for1500 USD.
Liviu-Lee Roth
[email protected]

Thanks

To: Liviu-Lee Roth
Date: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Am very much happy to read back from you.I felt so great and comfortable with the charges for the pages in which am sure it will be well prepared,easy and well understood by the reader.
Kindly get back to me
... See more
Hi Daniel,

I can do it for1500 USD.
Liviu-Lee Roth
[email protected]

Thanks

To: Liviu-Lee Roth
Date: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Am very much happy to read back from you.I felt so great and comfortable with the charges for the pages in which am sure it will be well prepared,easy and well understood by the reader.
Kindly get back to me with information below:
1: Your Full Name to be on the payment
2: Your Address and zip code
3: Your cell phone number
So i can instruct my secretary to issue out the full payment as soon as possible for the service.Do note that you will not release the translation to me not until have the payment with you.

I will need your immediate response via email assuring me that i can trust you to handle this with care

Best Regard

Daniel

This reinforces my point that these crooks share a common data-bank with stored pre-fabricated answers.

After I sent him the information (it is on the ATA) I received a fake check for $3,500

Heed Enrique's advice.

Best,
Lee

[Edited at 2012-09-03 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Andrew Miller, exposed my big secret !

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »