Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
German to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2012

I have received several emails in the past couple of days which, to me, are obviously aimed at achieving some kind of fraud.
They all appear to be sent by me, to me.
The content is nearly identical: it begins: "I would like to take this time to welcome you to our hiring process and give you a brief synopsis of the position's benefits and requirements."
and it ends: "To request an application form, schedule your interview and receive more information about this po
... See more
I have received several emails in the past couple of days which, to me, are obviously aimed at achieving some kind of fraud.
They all appear to be sent by me, to me.
The content is nearly identical: it begins: "I would like to take this time to welcome you to our hiring process and give you a brief synopsis of the position's benefits and requirements."
and it ends: "To request an application form, schedule your interview and receive more information about this position please reply to nnnn@newengwork.com with your personal identification number for this position IDNO: cccc",
but nnnn is a different person's name each time, and cccc is a different 4-digit number.
They have different "Subject" lines, such as "Career opportunity inside", "Vacancy - apply online".
They come from different regions (I have looked up some of the originating IP addresses): Duesseldorf, Valencia, Romania, Managua.
Apparently they may be seeking to use your bank account for money laundering.
In any case, it was obvious to me that the correct response is: do not send a reply; delete or possibly retain as a warning exhibit.
Have any of you received such emails?

Oliver

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-06-21 17:31 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Scam alert sent to the community Jun 21, 2012

Thanks Oliver, for sharing this information. This scam has been around for some time but obviously it is still being used by the criminals.

A dedicated scam alert report has been issued, you can see the text here.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Various "Subject" lines and geographical origins Jul 28, 2012

I'm still receiving these emails, about 4 per day in the past few days, and they have the following, possibly interesting, characteristics:
1. Subjects (examples):
Job offer match, respond to apply;
Vacancy - apply online;
Job ad - see details! Sent through Search engine;
Position opening in your area;
Career opportunity inside.
2. Where they or
... See more
I'm still receiving these emails, about 4 per day in the past few days, and they have the following, possibly interesting, characteristics:
1. Subjects (examples):
Job offer match, respond to apply;
Vacancy - apply online;
Job ad - see details! Sent through Search engine;
Position opening in your area;
Career opportunity inside.
2. Where they originate:
(determined by asking http://en.utrace.de/ to decode the IP address of the oldest "Received from" in the email header)
Beijing, China;
near Houston, Texas;
Palma, Mallorca;
AT&T, Kansas;
Bucharest, Romania;
Augusta (USA);
Alliance (USA);
Kacarevo (Romania);
Colombia.
In other words, they could be from anywhere in the world.

(The email contents are still the same each time: They begin with "I would like to take this time...." and they end with a sentence beginning "To request an application form...")

Oliver
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Signatures Jul 28, 2012

Thanks Oliver, you point to a key fact: names and email addresses are created and discarded at will by the scammers and IP addresses can be made obscure by the use of proxies and other tools, but fortunately the scammers seem to have a limiter library of texts, and once you identify their "signatures" you see them coming over and over with the same texts. I wonder if the victims are so easy to cheat that we do not deserve a creative effort from their part.

We need to act as a commu
... See more
Thanks Oliver, you point to a key fact: names and email addresses are created and discarded at will by the scammers and IP addresses can be made obscure by the use of proxies and other tools, but fortunately the scammers seem to have a limiter library of texts, and once you identify their "signatures" you see them coming over and over with the same texts. I wonder if the victims are so easy to cheat that we do not deserve a creative effort from their part.

We need to act as a community to fight these criminals. We should flood the social media with this information. Translation associations and universities should also play a role to ensure that no new translator hits the market unaware that there are sharks in the waters waiting for them, ready to prey on their innocence.

Enrique
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Well said Enrique Jul 29, 2012

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:
We need to act as a community to fight these criminals. We should flood the social media with this information. Translation associations and universities should also play a role to ensure that no new translator hits the market unaware that there are sharks in the waters waiting for them, ready to prey on their innocence.

Enrique

I am starting to post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Our hiring process" fake job offers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »