Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Alexa is listening Feb 8

Smart people disable all tracking or listening features like "smart" assistants, including Siri & co.

Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Kay Denney

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Lost in translation - they say Feb 8

https://grahamcluley.com/tooth-be-told-toothbrush-ddos-attack-claim-was-lost-in-translation-says-fortinet/

brovxidfmgan (X)
Philip Lees

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 9

LOL, Aargauer Zeitung insists that this was not fake news despite Fortinet already made an official statement to debunk the story. The Swiss news outlet wrote:

Fortinet provided specific details: information about how long the attack took down a Swiss company's website; an order of magnitude of how great the damage was. Fortinet did not want to reveal which company it was out of consideration for its customers.

The text was submitted to Fortinet for verifica... See more
LOL, Aargauer Zeitung insists that this was not fake news despite Fortinet already made an official statement to debunk the story. The Swiss news outlet wrote:

Fortinet provided specific details: information about how long the attack took down a Swiss company's website; an order of magnitude of how great the damage was. Fortinet did not want to reveal which company it was out of consideration for its customers.

The text was submitted to Fortinet for verification before publication. The statement that this was a real case that really happened was not objected to.

Source is the same as my post above.
Collapse

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Misunderstanding? Really? Feb 9

First, Novian, sorry for posting what you already posted before - but your post was not visible (due to vetting? Or was I just blind?) when I wrote mine.

The new statement by Aargauer Zeitung (AZ) is dubious, I think. It is not common practice by newspapers to report on an incident that happened in present tense. While the AZ website does not show the whole article, it appears to be
... See more
First, Novian, sorry for posting what you already posted before - but your post was not visible (due to vetting? Or was I just blind?) when I wrote mine.

The new statement by Aargauer Zeitung (AZ) is dubious, I think. It is not common practice by newspapers to report on an incident that happened in present tense. While the AZ website does not show the whole article, it appears to be similar/identical to this one: https://www.watson.ch/schweiz/digital/817089415-wenn-die-zahnbuersten-angreifen-bericht-zur-cybersicherheit
If I had read the article linked above, I probably would not have understood this as something that really happened, but as an example of what could happen, according to the person that was interviewed. Or maybe I would wonder whether this really happened or not. The sentence following the description of the scenario reads, in a rough translation by me: "This example, which seems like a Hollywood scenario, is intended to illustrate how versatile digital attacks have become."
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 9

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:
First, Novian, sorry for posting what you already posted before

There's no need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong.

but your post was not visible (due to vetting? Or was I just blind?) when I wrote mine.

Indeed, it was due to pre-moderation. I don't feel like verifying my ID at the moment to have my posts be instantly visible.

The new statement by Aargauer Zeitung (AZ) is dubious, I think. It is not common practice by newspapers to report on an incident that happened in present tense. While the AZ website does not show the whole article, it appears to be similar/identical to this one: https://www.watson.ch/schweiz/digital/817089415-wenn-die-zahnbuersten-angreifen-bericht-zur-cybersicherheit
If I had read the article linked above, I probably would not have understood this as something that really happened, but as an example of what could happen, according to the person that was interviewed. Or maybe I would wonder whether this really happened or not. The sentence following the description of the scenario reads, in a rough translation by me: "This example, which seems like a Hollywood scenario, is intended to illustrate how versatile digital attacks have become."

My German is not even on A1 level, so I'll take your word for it. Regarding AZ itself, had they admitted their error, they would've retained my respect. But since they were being too stubborn to admit the blunder, I now record them as yet another fake news generator in my long-term memory.

[Edited at 2024-02-09 14:16 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 19:33
Romanian to English
+ ...
Watch for malware-infected dental floss! :-) Feb 9

3 million smart toothbrushes were not used in a DDoS attack after all, but it could happen

What's next, malware-infected dental floss?

brovxidfmgan (X)

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
The German is clearly fiction Feb 9

I just read the original article. It should be clear (without any doubt) to any native German speaker that the paper is describing hypothetical scenes.

I am going to guess that someone got a notification about a key word or key phrase (as journalists do), and ran it through some translation machine. I can also see how the machine misinterpreted the context.

Just another example that machines (NLP or AI) still need human intervention. We're good (for now).

Liviu-Lee Roth

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The point is... Feb 10

the scenario is not fictional. It could happen. And even worse things are possible through these technologies.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate.
Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 02:33
English to Russian
+ ...
And then it's just a toothbrush Feb 23

However smart. Few people know that, as early as in the seventies, they used to sell things that were much more powerful and versatile. Tom Waits even wrote a song about one of them, Step Right Up. He forgot to mention it would never spy on you, but it just wasn't relevant then

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Doom on a toothbrush Feb 29

https://youtu.be/cO-Are8053g

brovxidfmgan (X)

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Mar 1

Hans Lenting wrote:
Doom on a toothbrush

How about Doom on E. coli? Aha! You have been defeated, Meneer Lenting. Now, hand Amsterdam over to me! 👿

[Edited at 2024-03-01 11:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 million smart toothbrushes were just used in a DDoS attack

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »