France
Local time: 02:11
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 23, 2022

Good morning,
I work on an iMac+Parallels+Windows 11.
I protect my computer with ClamXAV on the Mac side and with Kaspersky Total Security on the Windows side.
Now I read that the Windows AV is performing quite well so as my Kaspersky subscription is running out I'm thinking of not renewing it and give the Windows AV a chance.
Good or bad idea?

[Edited at 2022-02-23 07:16 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Your responsibility Feb 23, 2022

No one can take the responsibility away from you. Microsoft's AV has gotten good over the years, say some experts (i. e. no translators posing as experts who have never ever checked the protection level).

But: Of course, MS is the most popular attack target you can think of. No one knows if that makes it a high risk that someone will manage to get past MS's AV.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Personal experience Feb 23, 2022

Back when I was still on Windows 10, I only used their built-in AV. It was fairly alright. But then again, I didn’t delve into any shady warez, so I was at the low risk of getting malware infection to begin with.

The problem I had, was that after some time, I started to have performance issues. This, along with several other factors, made me jump to a GNU/Linux OS. I can’t speak for how it would perform in Parallels running Windows, however, since I don’t (and won’t) use a M
... See more
Back when I was still on Windows 10, I only used their built-in AV. It was fairly alright. But then again, I didn’t delve into any shady warez, so I was at the low risk of getting malware infection to begin with.

The problem I had, was that after some time, I started to have performance issues. This, along with several other factors, made me jump to a GNU/Linux OS. I can’t speak for how it would perform in Parallels running Windows, however, since I don’t (and won’t) use a Mac.

You can decide it for yourself by looking at these test results:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/summary-report-2021/

That is, if you trust these antivirus tests. FYI, there have been some controversies about whether or not the data from these tests are reliable enough to determine the effectiveness of antivirus software among cybersecurity practitioners and enthusiasts. So take these results with a healthy grain of salt.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not needed on Mac Feb 23, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Good morning,
I protect my computer with ClamXAV on the Mac side and with Kaspersky Total Security on the Windows side.
Now I read that the Windows AV is performing quite well so as my Kaspersky subscription is running out I'm thinking of not renewing it and give the Windows AV a chance.
Good or bad idea?

You don't need AV on a Mac- it will just slow down your whole system. But for Windows, you do.

I have been a Mac user since 1996 and have never had a virus.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Antivirus Feb 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Good morning,
Good or bad idea?

You don't need AV on a Mac- it will just slow down your whole system. But for Windows, you do.

I have been a Mac user since 1996 and have never had a virus.

Well, the fact that you don't need an AV on the Mac was true time ago, but Macs are now more widely used than back in 1984 when I got my first Mac, so that viruses et al. are now developed for the Mac as well and my Mac AV did in fact detect some. Anyway, I noticed no particular slowing down of my iMac with ClamXAV.
Sure I do need an AV on the Windows side, hence my question if Defender (included in Windows) is a good performer or if I'd rather stay with Kaspersky Total Security.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Numbers Feb 23, 2022

It isn't about the greater numbers of Macs that are now in use. It's the way the Mac operating system is designed to prevent unidentified or unapproved files from getting into the system.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Numbers Feb 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

It isn't about the greater numbers of Macs that are now in use. It's the way the Mac operating system is designed to prevent unidentified or unapproved files from getting into the system.

Don't underestimate the cleverness of hackers and crackers.

FYI:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-viruses-list-3668354/

[Edited at 2022-02-23 11:25 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
My experience Feb 23, 2022

Hello Wolfgang,

Since Windows XP I have trusted MS products (Microsoft Security Essentials and then Windows Defender) without ever having had the slightest problem. So there is no reason to have other (paid) product that often interfere with the system. The very serious AV-Test org ( https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus/privat-windows/ ) suggests that Defender is as good
... See more
Hello Wolfgang,

Since Windows XP I have trusted MS products (Microsoft Security Essentials and then Windows Defender) without ever having had the slightest problem. So there is no reason to have other (paid) product that often interfere with the system. The very serious AV-Test org ( https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus/privat-windows/ ) suggests that Defender is as good as some others. If you want to check manually, there are different levels of analysis available (also offline). It is a good idea to supplement this effective protection with clever browser settings (this is where the risks are).

[Modifié le 2022-02-23 11:26 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your experience Feb 23, 2022

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Hello Wolfgang,

Since Windows XP I have trusted MS products (Microsoft Security Essentials and then Windows Defender) without ever having had the slightest problem. So there is no reason to have other (paid) product that often interfere with the system. The very serious AV-Test org ( https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus/privat-windows/ ) suggests that Defender is as good as some others. If you want to check manually, there are different levels of analysis available (also offline). It is a good idea to supplement this effective protection with clever browser settings (this is where the risks are).

[Modifié le 2022-02-23 11:26 GMT]

Hi Adrien
thanks for staying on topic as it's the Windows' side of my system I'm currently interested in. I will take a look at the link.

Best

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
What do you do at the Windows side? Feb 23, 2022

I've ClamXAV at the Mac side. I've enabled 'Enable detection of non-Mac malware':

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 14.09.19

At the Windows side I only have Microsoft's antivirus solution running.

I do all my e-mail communication, downloading, FTP'ing etc. at the Mac side.

Packages from CAT tools, regular ZIP files etc. are downloaded to folders that are being guarded by ClamXAV, before I open them at the Windows side.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for confirming Feb 23, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

I've ClamXAV at the Mac side. I've enabled 'Enable detection of non-Mac malware':

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 14.09.19

At the Windows side I only have Microsoft's antivirus solution running.

I do all my e-mail communication, downloading, FTP'ing etc. at the Mac side.

Packages from CAT tools, regular ZIP files etc. are downloaded to folders that are being guarded by ClamXAV, before I open them at the Windows side.

This is more or less the same settings I'm using. Kaspersky ends tomorrow so it's Defender from now on.

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Antivirus

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »