论题张贴者: Dinny
Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
希腊
Local time: 18:39
Italian意大利语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
Sep 1, 2008

While discussing with a good friend of mine whether it is safe to download music from P2P sites, he recommended to use LimeWire which should be safe and offer very quick sharing of files. Today I checked it out and tried to download a couple of pieces, just any music that came to my mind. Yes, it was very quick, I must admit that. I listened to the music, the quality was OK. Then I just returned to work without thinking more about it.
Later on I noticed that Windows Security alert was tell
... See more
While discussing with a good friend of mine whether it is safe to download music from P2P sites, he recommended to use LimeWire which should be safe and offer very quick sharing of files. Today I checked it out and tried to download a couple of pieces, just any music that came to my mind. Yes, it was very quick, I must admit that. I listened to the music, the quality was OK. Then I just returned to work without thinking more about it.
Later on I noticed that Windows Security alert was telling me that my automatic updates were turned off and I tried to turn it on again. Without success. I could not turn it on.
Immediately suspicious, I ran a check with SpyErazer (an Adobe program) and only cookies were detected. Then I scanned with AVG, nothing dangerous was found.
But still I could not turn on my Windows automatic updates, so something was sure to be wrong.
Then I tried to scan with NoAdware, which is usually very efficient. Bingo. 6 trojans of today came up. NoAdware removed them from my computer. Nothing else was found.
Still I could not turn automatic updates on again.
So I tried to restore my computer to closing time yesterday. Not possible to change the restore point!

Now, I can only access ProZ.com, which is my "opening page". I have tried to connect to my mail without success, to other sites without success, to google in order to find some advice about this virus, but my receipt of internet content is blocked (I can see it when clicking on the two screens) and although Windows try to repair the connection nothing changes.

Well, you are my only hope now! Does any of you know anything about this virus? Any suggestions about what I can do?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me.

Dinny
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
拉脱维亚
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Latvian拉托维亚语
+ ...
You can try Kaspersky online scanner Sep 1, 2008

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

HTH,

BTW, as you can see in the page, this scanner does not remove anything found. However KAV trial version does.

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-09-01 19:27]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 08:39
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
纪念
But she can't access any other websites Sep 1, 2008

Ouch. Kapersky.com therefore is out of the question.

Can you locate and uninstall this SlimeWire (sorry..) garbage, Dinny?

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
芬兰
English英语译成Finnish芬兰语
+ ...
Reinstall Sep 1, 2008

If you have a virus or similar malware, the only safe means of recovery is to reinstall the operating system from scratch.

Uldis Liepkalns
拉脱维亚
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Latvian拉托维亚语
+ ...
It may be the case Sep 1, 2008

but it certailly is not an option to start with.

Uldis

PS, Dinny, if you can not reach any other website, I can Skype to you the Kaspersky Trial version, please contact me on by Skype- Uldis111

Uldis

Thor Kottelin wrote:

If you have a virus or similar malware, the only safe means of recovery is to reinstall the operating system from scratch.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-09-01 20:24]

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Bad rap Sep 1, 2008

I was gonna suggest a program called "Hijack this!" which is very good in such circumstances but:

a) it's very complicated to use (but effective); and
b) you can't download it anyway.

If you could get a copy of that from somewhere else it might help. You could then generate log reports and post them on a dedicated forum, where an expert can read them,
... See more
I was gonna suggest a program called "Hijack this!" which is very good in such circumstances but:

a) it's very complicated to use (but effective); and
b) you can't download it anyway.

If you could get a copy of that from somewhere else it might help. You could then generate log reports and post them on a dedicated forum, where an expert can read them, understand them and then advise you on what to do next.

My brother recommended LimeWire to my dad too, one day, for music tracks. When I discovered he had installed it, I took it off straight away. Sure, he was annoyed, but when I explained it to him in more detail, he knew I had done him a (big) favour. There is no way he could have figured out that program in a million years.

Alas, I don't know what else you can try without decent internet access.

BTW, NOBODY knows what the virus is since your system scans have not come up with a name for it (yet).

Does any of you know anything about this virus? Any suggestions about what I can do?
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 08:39
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
纪念
Call a computer "doctor" Sep 1, 2008

And don't pick a cheap, garden-variety one.

Since you don't have access to anything.

Best of luck!!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
希腊
Italian意大利语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
主题发起人
So far... thanks to all of you! Sep 1, 2008

As any person with an infected computer may have experienced it just keeps you up all night to try and find a solution - and this is what I am actually doing right now.

I noticed that I AM able to access some websites, so appearently the virus is specifying which sites I can not access. So I am trying the first suggestion now: Kaspersky. After some waiting time I had the Kaspersky site, but when I clicked "scan" I received a pop-op from "Virusscan 2009" (this is the "molestor", it
... See more
As any person with an infected computer may have experienced it just keeps you up all night to try and find a solution - and this is what I am actually doing right now.

I noticed that I AM able to access some websites, so appearently the virus is specifying which sites I can not access. So I am trying the first suggestion now: Kaspersky. After some waiting time I had the Kaspersky site, but when I clicked "scan" I received a pop-op from "Virusscan 2009" (this is the "molestor", it tryes to insert itself everywhere) asking me if I wanted Virusscan 2009 to scan my computer. Obviously I just closed the pop-up without answering neither OK or NO...
Then I got Kaspersky back and the scan was running - until a Windows (?) message appeared that this program had been stopped because of risk to my computer (or something like that).

Well, I actually already have HiJackThat and it is very efficient - its just that it only gives you a list of "strange files" which might be dangerous, but you need to be an expert to judge whether or not they should be removed or whether they are actually vital files for your computer.
Anyway, will give HiJackThis a try now...

Thanks to all of you, it really makes me feel that I am not totally alone with this!

Dinny
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
希腊
Italian意大利语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
主题发起人
No solution as yet... Sep 1, 2008

Kaspersky is starting to scan but then gets interrupted. I tried it a second time and everything just "froze" after a while, so I cannot get any help from that side.

I might check on Skype whether you are still up, Uldis...

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Two points: Sep 1, 2008

OK so now you've got a name: virusscan 2009. Google only came up with McAfee Virus scan plus 2009, unless it's a corrupted version of this which has messed up your sytem.

***You should not click the red 'x' on an unwanted pop-up as this is how they activate!!****

(You should close the pop-up from the task manager instead.)

HiJackThis! - is a program for advanced users and you need to tread cautiously. Those "strange files" can be posted on a dedicated forum
... See more
OK so now you've got a name: virusscan 2009. Google only came up with McAfee Virus scan plus 2009, unless it's a corrupted version of this which has messed up your sytem.

***You should not click the red 'x' on an unwanted pop-up as this is how they activate!!****

(You should close the pop-up from the task manager instead.)

HiJackThis! - is a program for advanced users and you need to tread cautiously. Those "strange files" can be posted on a dedicated forum where an expert can tell you what to do next, so you DON'T need to be an expert but you DO have to find one: hence the dedicated forums.

That was three points I think.
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
匈牙利
Local time: 17:39
English英语译成Hungarian匈牙利语
+ ...
I am a computer expert Sep 1, 2008

You should contact me either via email.
or via msn.

I will try to do my best to help you.

[Módosítva: 2008-09-01 21:32]

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
希腊
Italian意大利语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thanks John Sep 1, 2008

It did not this about closing a pop-up, thanks for letting me know.

Besides, I just discovered that I USED to have HiJackThis... on my old computer. I forgot I changed that a few months ago, so I probably dont have it anymore.

Anywhere, will now try to detect the virus with Kaspersky Trial version... hoping for the best!

Uldis Liepkalns
拉脱维亚
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Latvian拉托维亚语
+ ...
virusscan 2009 Sep 1, 2008

Is an online name of the most recent KAV version. Please see
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser

Uldis

John Paul Weir wrote:

OK so now you've got a name: virusscan 2009.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
土耳其
English英语译成Turkish土耳其语
+ ...
Do you plan to back up your files? Sep 1, 2008

Hi Dinny,

I did not use AVG before. I am sure it is a good antivirus program but it is apparent that it did not help you much. Now, when a computer is infected and still online, you are a target for new viruses, trojans, and the worse rootkits. It is not easy to disinfect a computer, even for computer experts. You will spend some days to clean the viruses, try to download and install new antivirus, rootkit removal programs, and most possibly delete some essential windows files.
... See more
Hi Dinny,

I did not use AVG before. I am sure it is a good antivirus program but it is apparent that it did not help you much. Now, when a computer is infected and still online, you are a target for new viruses, trojans, and the worse rootkits. It is not easy to disinfect a computer, even for computer experts. You will spend some days to clean the viruses, try to download and install new antivirus, rootkit removal programs, and most possibly delete some essential windows files.

Yes, you may clean your system, but you can never be sure that it is healthy as it was before. I suggest you to disconnect your computer from Internet and backup your files.

Antivirus programs are good at protecting your system but not so good good when trying to disinfect a system.
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
希腊
Italian意大利语译成Danish丹麦语
+ ...
主题发起人
Kaspersky cannot install... Sep 1, 2008

Thanks to Uldis, I got the Kaspersky trial version. Prior to installing this I uninstalled AVG, I searched my computer for any file in connection with AVG, I deleted and cleaned anything related, files, shortcuts. There is absolutely no trace of AVG anywhere on my PC.
Still, when trying to run the Kaspersky trial version I just got the message that I have AVG installed on my computer and therefore the trial version cannot be set up.
So I clicked the link that Uldis provided here and
... See more
Thanks to Uldis, I got the Kaspersky trial version. Prior to installing this I uninstalled AVG, I searched my computer for any file in connection with AVG, I deleted and cleaned anything related, files, shortcuts. There is absolutely no trace of AVG anywhere on my PC.
Still, when trying to run the Kaspersky trial version I just got the message that I have AVG installed on my computer and therefore the trial version cannot be set up.
So I clicked the link that Uldis provided here and fortunately got right to the Kaspersky site immediately. Having discovered this, I then deleted the trial version received from Uldis, emptied the recycle bin, and rebooted my PC. Went back to the forum, clicked on the link again and got to Kaspersky. Downloaded the trial version again without any interruptions from malicious malware and tried to install it. NO WAY! I still get the message that AVG is installed on my PC and that Kaspersky therefore cannot run.
OK, it is 1:30 local time in Crete, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what to do next... but I just had a hot pot of strong coffee which might eventually get me through the next few hours without falling from the chair...
Collapse

话题中的页数:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP please! My computer is infected...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »