Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 11:28
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 16, 2008

I hope I'm posting to the right forum. Yesterday, intending to give it to a charity re-sale shop, I got out an old computer in order to erase the hard disk.

When I set it up and booted it, everything appeared all right (I got the Windows 98 screen), then suddenly the monitor went white. I tried rebooting multiple times, but while it seemed that the disk was operating, the screen was black. I double checked the connection to the monitor, and it seems to be fine.

I h
... See more
I hope I'm posting to the right forum. Yesterday, intending to give it to a charity re-sale shop, I got out an old computer in order to erase the hard disk.

When I set it up and booted it, everything appeared all right (I got the Windows 98 screen), then suddenly the monitor went white. I tried rebooting multiple times, but while it seemed that the disk was operating, the screen was black. I double checked the connection to the monitor, and it seems to be fine.

I have sensitive information on the disk, and I'm not sure if the disk crashed or if it is still accessible. Is there anyway to determine that the data is gone or to do something that would insure that the data cannot be accessed?

In general, how do ProZers recycle old computers?

Thanks!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:28
Membre (2008)
anglais vers russe
+ ...
recycling Jul 16, 2008

There are two ways and I use both depending on the device:
1) Funny way -- take a big hammer and have fun! Some our shops offer discounts if you bring some old device and crash in the shop. Three months ago, I crashed an old CD-drive (x4) and 2 keyboards, got a discount and bout an MFU. Have fun!
2) Rational way -- there are workshops that collect old devices and re-use them to assemble computers for easy tasks...

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finlande
anglais vers finnois
+ ...
Zap and scrap Jul 16, 2008

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I have sensitive information on the disk, and I'm not sure if the disk crashed or if it is still accessible. Is there anyway to determine that the data is gone or to do something that would insure that the data cannot be accessed?

In general, how do ProZers recycle old computers?

I use obsolete boxes as test beds or e.g. as stock data displays. When I finally write off a computer, I have the hard disk drives zapped using a demagnetizer. This treatment destroys all data on the disk, and is also likely to damage the drive. Not all computer repair shops have demagnetizers, but some do.

There is also software that promises to erase your disk securely. Although e.g. PGP does a good job of erasing individual files, wiping an entire disk is more complicated, especially while running an operating system on the same disk. Beware of snake oil!

Igor Indruch
Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Tchèque (République)
Local time: 20:28
anglais vers tchèque
Juste take HDD out Jul 16, 2008

and connect it to another computer. Then you will see. Even if the disc will appear damaged, data can still be there and recoverable. So in that case the best way is really to destroy disc physically. If it will work, then you can use some utility which overwrites HDD with random data.

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 19:28
Membre (2008)
anglais vers danois
+ ...
Smash up the harddisk and take it to the recycling center Jul 16, 2008

I take out anything that might have interest to others, typically RAM, maybe a net card, take a hammer and smash the harddisk. The rest goes to the recycling center.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
there is a small tool from siemens... Jul 16, 2008

Hi! called qpart and it resurrects the MBR and you have a brand new disc. Ask me if you wish to know the command line. Brandis

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espagne
Membre (2005)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Hammer Jul 17, 2008

I'd go the hammer way.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Espagne
Membre (2007)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Hammer too Jul 17, 2008

... I feel great after the process !!! "Bonk, bonk, catacrok!"

Ruth @ MW

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turquie
anglais vers turc
+ ...
Acronis True Image Jul 17, 2008

Acronis True Image or similar programs can be used to delete all information in the harddisk.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 11:28
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
In memoriam
tap tap tap ... Jul 17, 2008

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Since the computer wouldn't boot, I just disemboweled the case, got out my hammer, and had at the drive. Such a hi-tech solution!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

recycling old hard disks . . .

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »