Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is your preferred choice for saying goodbye in an email?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Au revoir or goodbye? Aug 21, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5YW4qKOAVM

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
We're leaving- Goodbye. Aug 21, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPm79YGIiyc

expressisverbis

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 22:12
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Simply "best" Aug 21, 2022

I use just "best" in English.
In Italian, "saluti"
In Norwegian, "hilsen."

The shorter the better.

Josephine Cassar

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
(Yours) faithfully/sincerely Aug 21, 2022

Faithfully the first time, then Sincerely after that, once the relationship is established. Then after that, usually "Cheers" once things get more informal.
In Spanish, "Atentamente" at first, then "Saludos/un saludo" after that, in a similar gradual progression from formal to informal.

Serhan Elmacıoğlu
expressisverbis

Ahlam Echchad
Ahlam Echchad
Morocco
The preferred choice is: Aug 21, 2022

May ALLAH REWARD you

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Muriel Vasconcellos

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
It Depends Aug 21, 2022

The last client I did a book translation for, a non-profit here in the US, used to contact me quite frequently during the process and would always sign off with nothing more than "Best". So I started using that with them, too. Most of the time anymore, I tend to use "Best Regards", or just "Regards", depending on how favorably disposed I feel towards the client, after reading her or his last email. For direct literary clients, I might say something as informal as "Ciao", or "Thanks" (for your cl... See more
The last client I did a book translation for, a non-profit here in the US, used to contact me quite frequently during the process and would always sign off with nothing more than "Best". So I started using that with them, too. Most of the time anymore, I tend to use "Best Regards", or just "Regards", depending on how favorably disposed I feel towards the client, after reading her or his last email. For direct literary clients, I might say something as informal as "Ciao", or "Thanks" (for your clarification). One sign-off that I really liked using in the past was "Cordially", esp. if the client sounded genuinely friendly and I had just sealed the deal with her or him, after negotiating back and forth in several emails. Sort of like "let's finalize the deal by toasting one another with a glass of cherry cordial, in the spirit of both of us looking forward to a long and mutually beneficial collaboration".

[Edited at 2022-08-21 21:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-08-21 21:12 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Chié_JP

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I mostly don't Aug 22, 2022

I find the progression from "Best regards" to "Kind regards" interesting. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Anyway, I'd never have dreamt of sending anyone my regards or wishes in any form before emails came along, and I still rarely do.

"Yours faithfully" or "Yours sincerely" for anything formal, and otherwise something like "All the best".

But for most work emails in English, I generally just sign off with my first name.

Claudio Machado Junior

Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:12
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
'Thanks' or 'Thank you' Aug 22, 2022

It depends on the situation, but 'thanks' or 'thank you' works just fine in most cases.

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Aline Brito

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 22, 2022

The vast majority of my clients are French, so "Cordialement" is actually part of my signature. If I'm writing in English for work, it'll mostly be to another translator, so "Best regards" works well for me.
"Warm regards" is for the people I do volunteer work with, since the relationship is friendlier than for work.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Chié_JP

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Best wishes or Mange hilsner (Many greetings) Aug 22, 2022

My standard is Best wishes

Most often, however, I write mails in Danish, and end with Mange hilsner - many greetings.
I used just to write Hilsen - greeting. It was used on e-mails, short for the universal Med venlig hilsen, literally With a friendly greeting, which used to cover everything from the stiffest formal or icily polite letter to warm and friendly, until you really came over to hugs and kisses.
Somehow Hilsen alone seemed a little c
... See more
My standard is Best wishes

Most often, however, I write mails in Danish, and end with Mange hilsner - many greetings.
I used just to write Hilsen - greeting. It was used on e-mails, short for the universal Med venlig hilsen, literally With a friendly greeting, which used to cover everything from the stiffest formal or icily polite letter to warm and friendly, until you really came over to hugs and kisses.
Somehow Hilsen alone seemed a little cold and bare, so people started writing Mange hilsner.

Younger people and close friends sometimes use Kærlig hilsen or kh - loving greetings, but I only use that for people I would actually write ´love´ to in English, so of course, I never use it to clients.

When answering an informal mail I often use whatever greeting the other person used in the opening mail, or ´all the best´.

Or 'Good luck with ...´ or ´Have a nice weekend/evening/trip to ... ´
-- whatever fits!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A silly friend Aug 23, 2022

A silly friend of mine used to sign off with "Regs".

When I told her that means "Regulations" she stopped.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Lucy Gay
Lucy Gay  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
British English Aug 24, 2022

I'm a native speaker of British English, so it's "Best wishes" from me.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How NOT to sign off Aug 24, 2022

You have a great day
Missing you already
Sayonara
C U
Over and out
Take care
Yours truly
Sincerely

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You forgot... Aug 24, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

You have a great day
Missing you already
Sayonara
C U
Over and out
Take care
Yours truly
Sincerely

... Have a nice day!

For "saying goodbye", I use:
Com os melhores cumprimentos
Saludos cordiales
Cordialement
Kind regards

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Dismissed! Aug 24, 2022

You would expect that Germans would write something like that to say goodbye, but the polite ones among us simply write "Freundliche Grüße" (Best regards).

[Bearbeitet am 2022-08-24 17:40 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your preferred choice for saying goodbye in an email?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »