What is a system builder version?
Téma indítója: Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Németország
Local time: 15:58
német - angol
Sep 24, 2007

I have seen several "system builder" versions of Office 2007 about, all of them cost around 50% of the normal price for these apps. Can somebody please explain to me what a "system builder" version is (and the difference between SB and OEM versions also)?
Cheers.

Renate Reinartz
Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Németország
angol - német
SB are reseller who configure hardware/software bundles Sep 24, 2007

Damian Harrison wrote:

I have seen several "system builder" versions of Office 2007 about, all of them cost around 50% of the normal price for these apps. Can somebody please explain to me what a "system builder" version is (and the difference between SB and OEM versions also)?
Cheers.

Hi Damian,

OEMs are typically hardware manufactors. System builder are typically smaller companies, e.g. hardware shops who configure PC systems for their clients.

Best
Renate

PS: I am not sure what is the most current rule, but a few years ago you need to buy a mainboard and/or hard disk to buy a system builder version of M$ software.

[Edited at 2007-09-24 17:39]

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Németország
német - angol
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Are the apps different in any way? Sep 24, 2007

OEMs are typically hardware manufactors. System builder are typically smaller companies, e.g. hardware shops who configure PC systems for their clients.

Thanks for the info.
What I need to know is: Is a system builder version of Microsoft Office different to a retail or OEM version?

Renate Reinartz
Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Németország
angol - német
Functional the same, just a license issue Sep 24, 2007

Damian Harrison wrote:
Thanks for the info.
What I need to know is: Is a system builder version of Microsoft Office different to a retail or OEM version?

You're welcome.
SfaIk no difference besides the license or better buying/selling restriction.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
német
+ ...
Support restrictions Sep 25, 2007

AFAIK, tech support for DSP/SB versions of Microsoft software is limited compared with the regular versions. Other than that, there are no disadvantages, at least in Germany.

Any restrictions concerning resale would be illegal here, which is why M$ had to reprint a lot of Vista DVDs recently that had a labeling which claimed you couldn't resell the product without selling the hardware it was bound to.

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a system builder version?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »