Téma indítója: La Classe
La Classe
La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
francia - angol
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

Hi!

I like to know how to count the word counts of a pdf file. I also want to know that how one can convert the pdf file into word file, not in the form of image but in the form of text.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Manohar Roshan

Ioanna Karamitsa
Ioanna Karamitsa  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 08:19
angol - görög
+ ...
Convert pdf into doc Aug 7, 2007

Hi!

In order to convert pdf documents into word files you have to have a program like AbbyFineReader. After you convert the doc you can make a wordcount and work on the same file. At least that is what I do...

All the best,
Ioanna

Carine Dubois
Carine Dubois
Local time: 13:19
spanyol - francia
+ ...
convert with Word Aug 7, 2007

Hello,

I don't know if I do it right, but I copy and save the PDF document as "only text" and open it with Word.

Then I can count the words or translate directly.

Bye!

Carine

redred
redred  Identity Verified
Kína
Local time: 19:19
angol - kínai
+ ...
PDF Aug 7, 2007

Not all PDF format are able to be converted into Word, you can charge it on page, do we count words one by one? Even it is accessible to convert, some words or figs may lose, the situation is equal to scan format. To handle these files, one should open two windows when he/she is translating, I think most of translators don't like non-word documents.

[Edited at 2007-08-07 09:49]

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 07:19
angol - kínai
+ ...
Things worked for me: Aug 7, 2007

1. If you are using Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 (note that I am not talking about the Writer, but still the Reader), you can go from "Save as..." and just choose "word document" to save the file as. This way you generate a new Word file directly from the PDF file (providing that the PDF was not generated by scanning).

2. You can also try this "Reader Plug-ins - AbracadabraCompteur
... See more
1. If you are using Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 (note that I am not talking about the Writer, but still the Reader), you can go from "Save as..." and just choose "word document" to save the file as. This way you generate a new Word file directly from the PDF file (providing that the PDF was not generated by scanning).

2. You can also try this "Reader Plug-ins - AbracadabraCompteur":
http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=en&pg=17

I tried it before and it is very efficient. Just make sure you follow the directions when installing. It is free too.

For this one I have to give credit to Chance in our Chinese forum, who recommended this one when another peer asked about the same question awhile ago.
Collapse

Tae Kim
Tae Kim  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 04:19
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - koreai
+ ...
Use free pdf converter Aug 7, 2007

There is a free pdf converter available on Web. Just go to http://www.pdf995.com. It's free and you can convert pdf into Word and Excel and vice versa. You don't need to pay to buy a separate converter software. An agency told me about this, and I've been using it since, and I'm very happy with it.

Mutarjim97
Mutarjim97
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 07:19
francia - arab
+ ...
Depends on your options Aug 7, 2007

Google search for a free trial of "Omnipage Pro" which does a fairly good job but if the pdf source contains complex diagrams, images and formatting, it does not give you an accurate word count per se.

I also used Practicount 30 day trial and it counts major file formats pretty fine.

Ask your client what software they use to make sure you are both on the same platform and to avoid discrepancies for payment purposes. If the file is not too long and you are not sure, yo
... See more
Google search for a free trial of "Omnipage Pro" which does a fairly good job but if the pdf source contains complex diagrams, images and formatting, it does not give you an accurate word count per se.

I also used Practicount 30 day trial and it counts major file formats pretty fine.

Ask your client what software they use to make sure you are both on the same platform and to avoid discrepancies for payment purposes. If the file is not too long and you are not sure, your last resort is to do it manually or even approximate the count based on the line word count to calculate the total based on the average per-page word count.

Good luck
Collapse

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Lengyelország
Tag (2009 óta)
angol - lengyel
+ ...
Charge by target Aug 7, 2007

I presume your output will be in Word.

Anyway, it is a good idea to convert pdf to Word with AbbyyFinereader, otherwise you cannot use a CAT tool.

Joanna

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
holland - spanyol
+ ...
Another option Aug 11, 2007

Though Abby Finereader is nice, it is also expensive.

If the PDF was not scanned but generated from a Word document then you can use Solidconverter (http://www.soliddocuments.com/), which is much creaper and much simpler than Abby Finereader. It does not work with scanned files, though.

Though as suggested you can copy the text accross directly from the Adobe Reader to Word, wi
... See more
Though Abby Finereader is nice, it is also expensive.

If the PDF was not scanned but generated from a Word document then you can use Solidconverter (http://www.soliddocuments.com/), which is much creaper and much simpler than Abby Finereader. It does not work with scanned files, though.

Though as suggested you can copy the text accross directly from the Adobe Reader to Word, with SolidConverter it also provides you with the correct layout, which saves you a lot of editing afterwards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counts of the pdf file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »