Inițiatorul discuției: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Jul 10, 2007

Hello,

I'm using Windows XP SP 2 and Office 2003, including Outlook 2003. I just switched from Eudora to Outlook after having used Eudora for 10 years, so I'm unfamiliar with Outlook to say the least, although I'm trying to get used to it.

In Eudora, I used to be able to manually send e-mails and automatically receive them. Is there a way to do this in Outlook? I prefer to have more control over when I'm sending them out.

Thanks in advance!
Daina

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Franţa
Local time: 17:46
din franceză în engleză
Tools - Options - Second Tab Jul 10, 2007

In my French version of Outlook 2003, I go into the drop down menu "tools" and then choose options at the bottom, and go to the second tab "messagerie" where I can set all my send/receive preferences.

Good luck

Daina Jauntirans
din germană în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
But no separate manual send? Jul 10, 2007

I see that tab and those settings, but send/receive is always grouped. Is there any way to have automatic receive and manual send?

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Franţa
Local time: 17:46
din franceză în engleză
yes, I think so ... Jul 10, 2007

there is a "modify" button which opens up a menu where you can check/uncheck send and receive (as separate options)

HTH a little

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 09:46
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Hit Ctrl + Alt + S Jul 10, 2007

You can either change the settings for all accounts right there or click Edit to change setting individually fo each email address.
Then, when you want to send or receive, you can, if you don't have the automatic settings, click on the Send/Receive button to send and receive all mail or, if you click on the small arrow to the right of the Send/Receive button, choose to send all or to receive mail for just one email (or just header rather than email!). These are all manual sends and receive
... See more
You can either change the settings for all accounts right there or click Edit to change setting individually fo each email address.
Then, when you want to send or receive, you can, if you don't have the automatic settings, click on the Send/Receive button to send and receive all mail or, if you click on the small arrow to the right of the Send/Receive button, choose to send all or to receive mail for just one email (or just header rather than email!). These are all manual sends and receives.

I hope this helps!

Addition:

I re-read your question ore carefully. If you hit Ctrl + Alt + S and the choose edit, there will be one check box for send and one for receive for each email address. Uncheck the "Send" boxes and then use Send all from the drop down menu arrow to the right of the Send/Receive button on the main screen.

[Edited at 2007-07-10 20:37]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
din germană în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks! Jul 10, 2007

I will try those suggestions. It's just a matter of getting used to Outlook after so long. I really dislike the interface - may switch over to Thunderbird yet!

Daina Jauntirans
din germană în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks again and Jul 11, 2007

I did switch over to Thunderbird. Two days of Outlook was enough for me!

I do appreciate your help, though!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Send/receive in Outlook 2003

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »