Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 03:12
Tag (2003 óta)
lengyel - német
+ ...
Jun 10, 2007

I have an Excel file, where the translated text may not be longer as the source text.
I know how to et up the function for text length, but I don't know how to use this to mark the corresponding to long cell in colour, in order to easily find it.
Using red negative numbers as result for the length function is of course an option, but it is insufficient in long files with a lot of columns.

There must be a quite easy solutin for that, but I did not found out how this can w
... See more
I have an Excel file, where the translated text may not be longer as the source text.
I know how to et up the function for text length, but I don't know how to use this to mark the corresponding to long cell in colour, in order to easily find it.
Using red negative numbers as result for the length function is of course an option, but it is insufficient in long files with a lot of columns.

There must be a quite easy solutin for that, but I did not found out how this can work.

MTIA
Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Németország
angol - német
+ ...
Try 'Conditional Formatting' Jun 10, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

If I've understood your problem correctly, 'Conditional Formatting' is what you are looking for. You will find this option in the 'Format' menu. (In case you use a German version of Excel, it's called 'Bedingte Formatierung'.)

You will then get a dialog box in which you can set conditions (depending on the formula you are using, 'Cell Value is greater than =' might be a good option for your case) and choose format (e.g. a cell colour) that will be applied to t
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

If I've understood your problem correctly, 'Conditional Formatting' is what you are looking for. You will find this option in the 'Format' menu. (In case you use a German version of Excel, it's called 'Bedingte Formatierung'.)

You will then get a dialog box in which you can set conditions (depending on the formula you are using, 'Cell Value is greater than =' might be a good option for your case) and choose format (e.g. a cell colour) that will be applied to the cells if the condition is true.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2003 óta)
lengyel - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you Jun 10, 2007

Indeed it looks like what I was looking for.
Many thanks.

Have a nice Sunday
Jerzy

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:12
Tag (2004 óta)
angol - örmény
One more way to do it Jun 10, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

In such cases I do the following:

If the original is in column A, and the translation in column B, than in column C I put the following formula:
=IF(LEN(B1)*=LEN(A1),"","Delete "&(LEN(B1)-LEN(A1)&" characters"))

* should be the less sign.(contrary to >). When I use this sign the rest of the text doesn't show up.

If the translated text is shorter or equal to the original, there is nothing in column C, but if it is longer, column
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

In such cases I do the following:

If the original is in column A, and the translation in column B, than in column C I put the following formula:
=IF(LEN(B1)*=LEN(A1),"","Delete "&(LEN(B1)-LEN(A1)&" characters"))

* should be the less sign.(contrary to >). When I use this sign the rest of the text doesn't show up.

If the translated text is shorter or equal to the original, there is nothing in column C, but if it is longer, column C indicates how many characters need to be deleted.

[Edited at 2007-06-10 12:16]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking cells in Excel with too long text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »