Andrea Torre  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:27
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 30, 2002

Hi everybody!

I\'d like to know how to split up a PowerPoint document. It is too big and I can\'t e-mail it in a single zipped file!

Thanks in advance

Andrea

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Re-save your work in another file Dec 30, 2002

(simply to have another backup copy). Then delete, for example, the second half of the slides and resave as pres1.ppt

Reopen the source file, delete the first half of the slides and resave as pres2.ppt

In that way you will get two files instead of one.

REMEMBER TO SAVE A SPARE COPY OF THE SOURCE FILE!

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are many simple programs that may help you. Dec 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 14:07, andreatg wrote:

Hi everybody!

I\'d like to know how to split up a PowerPoint document. It is too big and I can\'t e-mail it in a single zipped file!

Thanks in advance

Andrea

Go to Google and search \'split file\'. You\'ll read about many sites where you can download one of the... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-30 14:07, andreatg wrote:

Hi everybody!

Thanks in advance

Andrea

Go to Google and search \'split file\'. You\'ll read about many sites where you can download one of these programs. They work very well for these cases and many others.

Make sure the person who gets the split file also has the program (he/ she will have to rejoin the file)!

Good luck

Hope this helps you. ▲ Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
WinZip Dec 30, 2002

WinZip is the most popular zipping (file compression) application. There is an option to save large files in several smaller ones. The small files will have a maximum size of 1.44 MB (as much as you can save on a good old floppy disk).

You can download Winzip for free from many different websites.

The other option would be what Natalia described above.

Andrea Torre
Andrea Torre  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello again Dec 30, 2002

Thank you everybody for your help!

Andrea

mónica alfonso
English to Spanish
+ ...
She means she has already zipped it and needs to split it. Dec 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 16:40, Ban Csaba wrote:

WinZip is the most popular zipping (file compression) application. There is an option to save large files in several smaller ones. The small files will have a maximum size of 1.44 MB (as much as you can save on a good old floppy disk).

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-30 16:40, Ban Csaba wrote:

Read carefully the help request. Some clients would not accept your sending a file you have \'divided\' into two. This is sometimes regarded as not very professional...

Splitting programms allow you to split a file into as many parts as you want, and then a single click on one of the parts rejoins everything. ▲ Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
winzip2 Dec 30, 2002

... and this is exactly what Winzip does, as I suggested...

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Better still Dec 30, 2002

For large files, you may want to open a free account at a free ftp site. One such site is ureach.com where you can upload and download files and the total limit is 6 MB. I heard Geocities has a 15 MB free allowance.

mónica alfonso
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, I thought you had misunderstood her request. Dec 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 17:45, Ban Csaba wrote:

... and this is exactly what Winzip does, as I suggested...

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Try this one Dec 30, 2002

\"For large files, you may want to open a free account at a free ftp site. One such site is ureach.com where you can upload and download files and the total limit is 6 MB. I heard Geocities has a 15 MB free allowance.\"

They have 100 MB free

http://www.multimania.lycos.fr/hebergement

Dirgis (X)
Dirgis (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
German to English
+ ...
PPT file too big usually means image files are too big. Jan 15, 2003

You need some version of photoshop to do this:

PPT presentations get very large if your image files are unnecessarily large. To find out which are the large images, first save the PPT as an html file. This stores each image in a separate file and it is easy to see which are the big ones. Open them in Photoshop, and click on File, Save for Web, you can then determine which resolution is sufficient and save tem as a smaller file, often, doing this to a few images reduced the size drastic
... See more
You need some version of photoshop to do this:

PPT presentations get very large if your image files are unnecessarily large. To find out which are the large images, first save the PPT as an html file. This stores each image in a separate file and it is easy to see which are the big ones. Open them in Photoshop, and click on File, Save for Web, you can then determine which resolution is sufficient and save tem as a smaller file, often, doing this to a few images reduced the size drastically.

When you save them for web, you may want to give them a different name, maybe Filename-web.jpg, or so, in order not to overwrite the original image, if you might still need it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to split up a PowerPoint document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »