Thread poster: laurem
laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:02
English to French
+ ...
Mar 11, 2006

I am working on a word document in which footnotes numbering should be added automatically. I notice though that there are missing footnotes numbers. For example, if I insert a footnote on page 5, it will be footnote nr 15 but if I insert it on page 6 instead, it will be footnote 16 (with no footnote 15 in the document)!!
Anyone has an idea where the problem is?

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Start from 1 Mar 11, 2006

I have no idea why the previous footnotes are not visible. Obviously there must be some (if you want to look them up, try selecting all, copy and paste to a new document, or perhaps they are in different colour, format...) If you do not want to bother with it, start numbering the footnotes from 1. Press insert a footnote and in the Format section fill in Start from 1.
Good luck.

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 16:02
English to Russian
Sections Mar 11, 2006

I suspect the footnotes numbering:
a) starts anew from section break;
b) starts from a number other than 1.
Check these settings
HTH
Alex

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yet another tip Mar 11, 2006

Also consider to track changes, since there may be a footnote deleted in review mode and if your current view does not show markups, it may be invisible to you, however existent in the document, therefore taken into account by Word when determining footnote number. According to the symptoms you reported, such a footnote may exist in page 15, somewhere below where you have created the your footnore.

If you send me your document, I'll try to check it for you.

eMusty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes in word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »