How can I quickly generate a PDF from a folder with DOCs?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:30
Oct 23, 2015

How can I quickly generate a PDF file from a folder with several subfolders containing DOC and DOCX files?

I want to create one big reference file for my translation project.

There must be some macro tool for this .

Thanks,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 03:30
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Automator again Oct 23, 2015

2nl wrote:
How can I quickly generate a PDF file from a folder with several subfolders containing DOC and DOCX files?

An Automator Folder Action consisting of two Actions:

Drop the folder with the (subfolders) .doc/docx files on the Folder Action, and relax.

Cheers,

Hans

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 23, 2015

Here, you can find some solutions (even if not so "quickly") :

http://superuser.com/questions/17612/batch-convert-word-documents-to-pdfs

You can then merge the PDFs.

But I'm wondering why the "big reference file" has to be a PDF? Why not merge the DOC(X)s?

Regards

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
File insert Oct 23, 2015

2nl wrote:

There must be some macro tool for this .

Hans

There is macro for this job but the quickest way is inserting texts from files:
-Open one Word file (even blank file) as the main file.
-Click Insert tab - Select Object - Click drop down menu - Click Text from file - Add any *.doc/*.docx files you want from many subfolders - Save/Print as PDF.

Soonthon L.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Action is missing ... Oct 23, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

2nl wrote:

An Automator Folder Action consisting of two Actions:

Drop the folder with the (subfolders) .doc/docx files on the Folder Action, and relax.

Cheers,

Hans

The specific action is missing on my system. Could you send it?

Thanks in advance!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I can (and will, of course)... Oct 23, 2015

2nl wrote:
The specific action is missing on my system. Could you send it?

... but I suggest you download the set of Office:mac actions (more than 80 in total) yourself):

http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com/2012/05/batch-converting-word-files-using.html (at the end of the entry)

It's possible that the first action doesn't work for subfolders (haven't tried it), in that case, you should do what you mentioned on the AppleScript forum, that is, make a SmartFolder with all doc/docx files.

I think I know what you want to do, and if true, I'd "glue" the doc/docx files to one docx file, and open it in Preview, which can be searched from within CafeTran.

Cheers,

Hans

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Foxit Phantom Oct 23, 2015

2nl wrote:

I tell Phantom which files to process or specify a folder and it merges them all together. I just tried it on a folder with 5 large doc files and an Excel workbook. In about 30 seconds it produced a PDF with 426 pages and a nice list of bookmarks on the left-hand side.

Regards
Dan

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I use Nitro PDF Oct 23, 2015

1. Save doc as pdf
2. Right click on the pdfs in question and select ''Combine supported files in Nitrob PDF''
3. Choose the order you want the docs/pages to appear in the new document

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Some clarification Oct 24, 2015

My aim is to create one big PDF from a folder structure with DOC(X) files.

I am looking for a macro (or other solution) that allows me to create one big PDF file from all DOC and DOCX files in all subfolders of a given folder. Either by printing them to a PDF printing device (like FreePDF on Windows or PDFwriter on Mac). Or by saving them in Word as PDF.

I'd prefer to keep Word hidden.

All I can find are macros that are suited to either print all files in a
... See more
My aim is to create one big PDF from a folder structure with DOC(X) files.

I am looking for a macro (or other solution) that allows me to create one big PDF file from all DOC and DOCX files in all subfolders of a given folder. Either by printing them to a PDF printing device (like FreePDF on Windows or PDFwriter on Mac). Or by saving them in Word as PDF.

I'd prefer to keep Word hidden.

All I can find are macros that are suited to either print all files in a folder (not in its subfolders) as individual PDFs (that I'd have to merge afterwards, an extra step that I'd like to avoid if possible).

Preferably, I'd like to run the macro in Word:mac 2011 and Word:mac 2015. If this isn't possible, I could run it in Word 2010 using Parallels Desktop (also an extra step that I'd like to avoid if possible).
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
Finnish to French
I’d use dtSearch Oct 24, 2015

2nl wrote:

I would simply create an index with that folder (and subfolders) in dtSearch, keeping all files in it (regardless of formats) as they are. But it’s only available for Windows: too bad you’re on a Mac, and there’s no equivalent in OS X

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Works perfectly... Oct 24, 2015

...for that purpose:
Dan Lucas wrote:
I tell Phantom which files to process or specify a folder and it merges them all together.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No need for that Oct 24, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
But it’s only available for Windows: too bad you’re on a Mac, and there’s no equivalent in OS X

As you can imagine (or maybe you cannot), OS X users have no need for third party solutions. You simply create a SmartFolder with all .doc and .docx files of the original folder, and drop the (virtual) files on an Automator/AppleScript applet. The converted files will appear in the original folder, and relevant subfolders.

That everything and more is possible with OS X, doesn't mean there are no problems in this particular case. Not caused by OS X, of course.

I can now convert all .doc and .docx files to PDF, and combine those PDFs into one big one. Exactly what the OP wants. However,

• It will require two actions, rather than the one I promised, due to the usual MS BS (they invalidated some of the required Automator actions without warning. But then again, MS...) It's not worthwhile to try to turn those two actions into one. That will take me far more time that the OP to perform those two actions.
  • I take it the OP not only want this big PDF file, I think he want to translate the Word files. In CafeTran. CafeTran doesn't accept .doc as Word files, only .docx. That means an extra step: Convert .DOC to .DOCX No problem, but
  • In CafeTan, you can load both files and folders, but as far as I can tell, not folders with their subfolders
  • Last but not least, because of the subfolders, the order of the concatenated PDF file will most likely if not inevitably differ from the order of the ("glued") files in CafeTran, which makes syncing (the ultimate goal of the OP, I think) of the PDF difficult.

Aspirin, please.

Cheers,

Hans

• 2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    File2PDF Oct 26, 2015

The author of File2PDF sent me a message, that I can use File2PDF for my task.

Program: File2PDF
    Interface:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I quickly generate a PDF from a folder with DOCs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »