Upgrade MS Office 2003 to 2010 or Run them Side by Side?
Thread poster: Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
Mar 31, 2013

Hi all,

After having some annoying problems trying to access all translatable text in a MS Publisher 2010 file (with embedded Excel objects in it) from a client, I have finally decided to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2010. I bought the 2010 version long time ago, but never installed it.

My current setup:
- Windows XP Pro
- Microsoft Office 2003 Pro
- SDL Studio 2011

Which option would be better?
a) A complete upgrade rem
... See more
Hi all,

After having some annoying problems trying to access all translatable text in a MS Publisher 2010 file (with embedded Excel objects in it) from a client, I have finally decided to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2010. I bought the 2010 version long time ago, but never installed it.

My current setup:
- Windows XP Pro
- Microsoft Office 2003 Pro
- SDL Studio 2011

Which option would be better?
a) A complete upgrade removing Office 2003 applications
-- OR --
b) A side by side (2003 + 2010) installation

Did you have any problems during the upgrade process, errors, etc.?

I look forward to your responses!

Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-03-31 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Michael T
Michael T  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would run both versions if compatible Apr 1, 2013

Personally I would run both versions of Office side by side. I know that the Trados 2011 instant preview feature, for example, doesn't always work if the file was created with a previous version of Office. They will tell you that you need that version of office installed on your system.

I don't know whether or not there are any compatibility issues running two versions of office though... I only have 2010 installed.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Running MS Office 2007 with Word 2000 Apr 1, 2013

I have been doing this successfully for some years. The only problem I had (not initially, it only arose about a year ago) was that the selected program always had to be configured before it would start. I solved this with the aid of a tip found he... See more
I have been doing this successfully for some years. The only problem I had (not initially, it only arose about a year ago) was that the selected program always had to be configured before it would start. I solved this with the aid of a tip found here:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/155484-office-word-2007-configuration-problem-solved.html

I presume you would have to change "12.0" to "13.0" in the second line.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Use other than Studio preview Apr 10, 2013

Michael,

Thank you for your useful comments. My question then would be, since I do not use Studio's preview feature (at least not so far), whether I could do with just the 2010 version of MS Office, instead of having a side-by-side installation of both versions, 2003 and 2010. I just do not know whether I would need to keep 2003 for anything else.

----------------

Jack,

Thank you for your helpful response and link. The fix found there might c
... See more
Michael,

Thank you for your useful comments. My question then would be, since I do not use Studio's preview feature (at least not so far), whether I could do with just the 2010 version of MS Office, instead of having a side-by-side installation of both versions, 2003 and 2010. I just do not know whether I would need to keep 2003 for anything else.

----------------

Jack,

Thank you for your helpful response and link. The fix found there might come in very handy if in the end I decide to go for the side-by-side installation. The problem you describe was precisely one of my concerns.

---------------

Thank you, both!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade MS Office 2003 to 2010 or Run them Side by Side?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »