Thread poster: LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
LUISA Fernandez-Sierra  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:47
English to Spanish
Sep 8, 2012

Hi
It is becoming rather typical to receive files from clients in 2 columns so that columns 1 includes the source language, and Column 2 the target language. I normaly copy source into column 2, so that I can use wordfast or trados in column 2 to do the translation and have Column 1 untouched

I am trying to make column 1 invisible so that wordfast and Trados do not jump to it and open segments there, whily using the keyboars shortcuts. Unfortunately, selecting the text in c
... See more
Hi
It is becoming rather typical to receive files from clients in 2 columns so that columns 1 includes the source language, and Column 2 the target language. I normaly copy source into column 2, so that I can use wordfast or trados in column 2 to do the translation and have Column 1 untouched

I am trying to make column 1 invisible so that wordfast and Trados do not jump to it and open segments there, whily using the keyboars shortcuts. Unfortunately, selecting the text in column 1 and clicking in "hidden" in the fonts menu does not do the trick ( according to Worfast manual it should) . Both Trados and Worfast keep opening the segments in column 1, despite of been hidden text... Obviously this is annoying and time wasting...I cannot find in "languages" the option "no language" that made the text invisible in offcie 2003; and trados8 doesn not include Twinexternal that did the same...

Note: I have both templates installed in Word, but tith the option to able and disable them at demand
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Working in a new file? Sep 8, 2012

Couldn't you copy the second column into a new file and make the translation there? Later you could copy your translation back into the original file.

Kind regards,
Anna

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple solution Sep 8, 2012

I have encountered exactly the same situation in Word 2003, and all I do is this:

1) Open original file

2) Discard any text not needed in the right-hand 'target' column (or just delete the entire column, blank or not)

2) 'Save as' my translated filename

3) Translate in CAT

4) At end of translation session, copy the left-hand 'source' column back into my file from the original (untouched!) client file.

5) Deliver
... See more
I have encountered exactly the same situation in Word 2003, and all I do is this:

1) Open original file

2) Discard any text not needed in the right-hand 'target' column (or just delete the entire column, blank or not)

3) Translate in CAT

4) At end of translation session, copy the left-hand 'source' column back into my file from the original (untouched!) client file.

5) Deliver

6) Have tea!
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Luisa Sep 8, 2012

I do this all the time. Tony's solution is fine and probably safer.
I'd simply question Tony's step 2 (target column may include some pre-translated segments; this is often the case with Déjà Vu's external views, which also often include those annoying tags between curly braces).

I just copy the source column to the target column (provided it's blank) then hide the source column, which should work. Are you sure you're selecting the whole column?
And are you sure there'
... See more
I do this all the time. Tony's solution is fine and probably safer.
I'd simply question Tony's step 2 (target column may include some pre-translated segments; this is often the case with Déjà Vu's external views, which also often include those annoying tags between curly braces).

I just copy the source column to the target column (provided it's blank) then hide the source column, which should work. Are you sure you're selecting the whole column?
And are you sure there's only one table?

You can easily automate this with a macro:

Sub HideFirstColumns()
Dim T As Table
For Each T In ActiveDocument.Tables
T.Columns(1).Select
'Uncomment the 5 comment lines below (i.e. remove the single quotes) to copy
'source to target
' Selection.Copy
' T.Columns(2).Select
' Selection.Paste
' T.Columns(3).Delete 'Bizarrely, Paste INSERTS a column, so column 3 is redundant
' T.Columns(1).Select
Selection.Font.Hidden = True
Next T
End Sub

Then have a drink!
Cheers,
Richard
Collapse

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
it is not an option Sep 8, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Couldn't you copy the second column into a new file and make the translation there? Later you could copy your translation back into the original file.

Kind regards,
Anna

Thank you Anna and Tony . In my case this is not an option because doing so can be risky and time consuming. I am dealing with a 2 column files of as much as 20000 words, sometimes there is one table per page ( so no chance of select all) , there are fuzzy matches and other oddities such as codes and the like...

Also I like to use my tools in a efficient way. So my interest is to learn how to do something, which I am pretty sure, it can be done in word 2007:-)
Thank you!!

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Luisa Sep 8, 2012

So try my macro, it works (in all versions of Word). There's no easy way of doing what you need to do manually, especially if there's more than one table, which your last post suggests is the case.

If you want a more elaborate version of my macro that preserves all text (pre-translated one assumes) in the target column, e-mail me. It also optionally hides formatting "codes" or tags.

Regards
Richard

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
there is more than 1 table and pretranslated text Sep 8, 2012

wotswot wrote:

And are you sure there's only one table?

Richard

Thank You Richard
Thats the problem. In most cases
a) Column 2 is not empty ( There is prettranslated text) and b) There are Many tables, not just one ( sometimes one per page). So, no chance to select column X with just one click.
Still, I will save your macro for some case.

In any case I would like to focus on my original question ¿how can I make text invisible/ hiden to Trados and wordfast in word 2007?. The rest was meant to be background info NOT the probelm it self

Thank you !!

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@Luisa Sep 8, 2012

I can only repeat what I said in my previous post:

"If you want a more elaborate version of my macro that preserves all text (pre-translated one assumes) in the target column, e-mail me.
It also optionally hides formatting "codes" or tags."

As I've already said, it works in all versions of Word (both my basic macro posted here and the more elaborate one I can send you if you e-mail me).

Regards
Richard

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trying to clarify the problem Sep 8, 2012

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra wrote:

...I would like to focus on my original question: How can I make text invisible/ hidden to Trados and Wordfast in word 2007?

Well, it seems a little odd, your explanation is not clear at all.

If you have to translate the first column and insert your translations into the second column, how can you do this, while keeping selected entries already existing in this column? I think the way you go about it is really going to depend on the end result you are seeking to achieve — and this is far from clear!

Wordfast does have an 'untranslatable' attribute, can you not apply that to you first column? — of course, if the tables are separate, you'll have to do this once per table.

I am quite used to handling formatted documents of this sort of size, and don't usually have this much problem.

I'd almost be tempted to 'select all' in the source document and paste into an Excel spreadsheet; that should get all your tables joined together, which you could at a pinch paste back into a fresh document! While still in Excel, you could also add an index column, then sort on your column 2 to get all the cells with entries and all the blank cells together; after translation, you could then re-sort on the index column if it is important to restore the original order.

If you use Wordfast to translate directly in Excel, it will ignore columns if you set their width = 0.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Sep 10, 2012

Tony M wrote:

1) Open original file

3) Translate in CAT

5) Deliver

6) Have tea!

This is more or less the method I adopt when a couple of agencies send me Deja Vu files, but in general I tend to avoid accepting them when I can afford to, and stick to what I consider more easily manageable formats.

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
untranslatable is the key Sep 11, 2012

Tony M wrote:
Wordfast does have an 'untranslatable' attribute, can you not apply that to you first column? — of course, if the tables are separate, you'll have to do this once per table.

Hi Tony. I am sorry to see that I did not make myself clear. Right now I cannot focus on my method to process files. This would need a long explanation and it is not the moment. Some files are indeed Dejavue conversions others are not.
1) Could you, or anybody else, give me some pointers regarding the untranslatable' attribute" in Wordfast classic. I find info for wordfast pro but not the Classic

Please bear in mind that the MAIN issue is that TRADOS8 does not include the twinexternal style , which was the old way to make text 'untranslatable'
Thank you

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
Finnish to French
Untranslatable attribute in Wordfast, tw4winExternal Sep 13, 2012

1) Could you, or anybody else, give me some pointers regarding the untranslatable' attribute" in Wordfast classic. I find info for wordfast pro but not the Classic

See p. 52 and 53 of the reference manual, which you can (should) download at wordfast.net > products > download.
You can choose from three untranslatable attributes, although one (marching red ants) is not available in Word 2007/2010 without a custom macro.
Please bear in mind that the MAIN issue is that TRADOS8 does not include the twinexternal style , which was the old way to make text 'untranslatable'

The correct name of the style is tw4winExternal. You can create it yourself if it's not present in your document. At least Wordfast Classic will happily ignore text formatted with this style, even if it's created by yourself and doesn't look (different colour, font etc.) like the one created by Trados.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Makros ... Sep 13, 2012

There are Many tables, not just one ( sometimes one per page). So, no chance to select column X with just one click.
Still, I will save your macro for some case.

??? Richard's macro walks through the document and marks - in all tables - column 1 as "hidden". No click needed.

If "hidden" doesn't work, you might replace
by
   Selection.LanguageID = wdLanguageNone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

making invisible text in Word 2007

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »