Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:51
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2012

Does anyone know if the proofing tools (ie. spell-check) for languages other than English come with MS Word 2010?

I have the Home and Student version for Office 2010. Whenever I try to do a spell-check in Russian it comes up with the message "Cannot find the proofing tools for Russian" so I need to know if this is something that only comes with the Professional version of Office (I should have bought this instead).

I remember that on previous editions of Word I was abl
... See more
Does anyone know if the proofing tools (ie. spell-check) for languages other than English come with MS Word 2010?

I have the Home and Student version for Office 2010. Whenever I try to do a spell-check in Russian it comes up with the message "Cannot find the proofing tools for Russian" so I need to know if this is something that only comes with the Professional version of Office (I should have bought this instead).

I remember that on previous editions of Word I was able to access the proofing tools for Russian without having to purchase any additional upgrades.

Is spell-check a feature that's only available in English?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 19:51
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Possibly? Sep 3, 2012

I canet speak specifically for Word 2010, but certainly with my much older version (XP), it gives me similar error messages, but more helpfully also invites me to insert the original CD-ROM in order to install the missing components.

The 'typical' installation leaves out quite a lot of things you might never need; so it might be worth checking on your CD-ROM (well, assuming there is one!) to see if the missing components are there just waiting for you to install them.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
English to German
+ ...
bought and downloaded Proofing Tools Sep 3, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I remember that on previous editions of Word I was able to access the proofing tools for Russian without having to purchase any additional upgrades.

Is spell-check a feature that's only available in English?

Hi Sarah.

I have the same version of Microsoft Office 2010. I knew I had to buy the Proofing Tools for German separately which I did. The Proofing Tools cost me USD 25.00 (that was in 2010). With the US version of Microsoft 2010 (Home and Student) plus the purchase of the German Proofing Tools, I can spell-check texts in the following languages: English, French and Spanish (comes with the original US Office version I believe) and German and Italian (by purchasing the German Proofing Tools). I'm not sure what would be included with the Russian Proofing Tools besides Russian if you were looking for that at all.

I downloaded both products from the Microsoft Office Store.

HTH

Bernhard

[Edited at 2012-09-03 07:18 GMT]

tania nogueira
tania nogueira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hi Sarah Sep 3, 2012

When you purchase the Office, no matter what version, the proofing tool comes only for the main language you purchased it. Any additional language has to be bought.
Old old versions would allow you to download it from their sites, but since 2007 this is not possible, unfortunately.
If I'm not wrong, it should cost around $25/lang, but do check it cause price varies from version to version.
Spell check is a tool that can be used to any language as long as you have it. I do use i
... See more
When you purchase the Office, no matter what version, the proofing tool comes only for the main language you purchased it. Any additional language has to be bought.
Old old versions would allow you to download it from their sites, but since 2007 this is not possible, unfortunately.
If I'm not wrong, it should cost around $25/lang, but do check it cause price varies from version to version.
Spell check is a tool that can be used to any language as long as you have it. I do use it for En/Pt/Es/Hb.
Hope it helped.
Cheers,
Tania
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:51
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Sep 3, 2012

Tony M wrote:

I canet speak specifically for Word 2010, but certainly with my much older version (XP), it gives me similar error messages, but more helpfully also invites me to insert the original CD-ROM in order to install the missing components.

The 'typical' installation leaves out quite a lot of things you might never need; so it might be worth checking on your CD-ROM (well, assuming there is one!) to see if the missing components are there just waiting for you to install them.

Thanks, Tony. This weekend I tried un-installing MS Office and re-installing it. I have the CD, yes.

It still says the same thing about the proofing tools not being found. As Bernard said, I think I will have to buy them. I was just wondering if I was possibly overlooking something that I wasn't aware of.

Sarah

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
They come separately Sep 3, 2012

The general pack only has the most basic tools. If you want the rest, you need to request them separately.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
My experience Sep 3, 2012

Some time ago I downloaded the Dutch proofing tool. This came as a package of 3: Dutch, German and French. After installing it, only the German proofing tool was working and all the buttons and menus permanently turned to German, even when I was working on English documents. It was useless and annoying and I ended up deleting the entire program. This may not happen with the Russian tool but you may need to check if it comes together with other languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofing tools for various languages in MS Word 2010

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »