Is it possible to apply a certain font for track changes?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 10:06
English to Chinese
Jul 6, 2012

Dear Office 2007 users,

I received a file for proofreading which uses a font different from my default Chinese font for Word 2007. As you can see, the changes I made to this file use the default font instead of the client's font. I wonder if there is a way to apply the client's font to the edits as I go. The workaround I came up with is to apply that font at the end by selecting the entire text, using Ctrl+D and changing the Asian font to the desired font. But ideally I would li
... See more
Dear Office 2007 users,

I received a file for proofreading which uses a font different from my default Chinese font for Word 2007. As you can see, the changes I made to this file use the default font instead of the client's font. I wonder if there is a way to apply the client's font to the edits as I go. The workaround I came up with is to apply that font at the end by selecting the entire text, using Ctrl+D and changing the Asian font to the desired font. But ideally I would like to be able to use this font as I proofread and make corrections.
Thank you in advance for shedding some light on this!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to English
black box Jul 6, 2012

Hi Chun-yi,

Fonts are often a bit of a mystery for me, but I wonder if this happens if you do not have the client's font on your pc?
Normally, I would think that your changes will show in the font of the text at the spot of insertion.
I suggest checking your font list to see if this font is missing. If it is, get a hold of it, maybe even from your client!

HTH,
Frank

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I installed the font the client sent me Jul 6, 2012

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply, Frank. I did get the font from the client and installed it on my computer. That's why I could apply it at the end by selecting the entire text and designating the font:)

I am trying to see if there is a way to do this as I proofread the file, in case I forget to change the font at the end.

Chun-yi

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 19:06
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Modify your style Jul 6, 2012

Presumably, your insertions are being made in the 'normal' style of your system (you should be able to check this by seeing which style is displayed when the cursor is positioned within your inserted text.

If this is the case, all you need do is to set the font in your 'normal' style to the desired font, and everything you type ought then to appear in the correct font.

I am saying this on the basis of general principles, since I don't actually use specifically Word 2007
... See more
Presumably, your insertions are being made in the 'normal' style of your system (you should be able to check this by seeing which style is displayed when the cursor is positioned within your inserted text.

If this is the case, all you need do is to set the font in your 'normal' style to the desired font, and everything you type ought then to appear in the correct font.

I am saying this on the basis of general principles, since I don't actually use specifically Word 2007 myself.
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the tip! Jul 7, 2012

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a try.
Have a nice weekend.

Chun-yi

Tony M wrote:

I am saying this on the basis of general principles, since I don't actually use specifically Word 2007 myself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to apply a certain font for track changes?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »