How can I find a recent document
Thread poster: Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 11:31
English to Spanish
Jun 2, 2012

I was working yesterday on a very long translation. I had it almost finished and I am sure that I saved it but now I can not find it. It is in Windows 7. Please tell me how to find it. I have followed the instructions of:
1. Right click on the start menu
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on Customize

but there I get stuck because in the dropdown menu the is not "recent documents" to be checked.

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:31
English to Arabic
Use "run" command Jun 2, 2012

Angel Biojo wrote:

I was working yesterday on a very long translation. I had it almost finished and I am sure that I saved it but now I can not find it. It is in Windows 7. Please tell me how to find it. I have followed the instructions of:
1. Right click on the start menu
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on Customize

but there I get stuck because in the dropdown menu the is not "recent documents" to be checked.

From start menu, write the command "run" in the "search programs and files" section, then in run window write "recent" then enter.

Another way, start menu - right click and click on "customize", then scroll down, you'll find "recent documents".

Hope this helps.

MK

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:31
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Which application? Jun 2, 2012

You have not mentioned which application you were using when translating but I assume that it is a CAT.
Have you tried to open the CAT (or other application if not CAT) and see where is the default location for saving your work? Unless you specified some other location when you closed the CAT/application, then that should be where you find it.

Otherwise maybe you can reopen the target file using the same CAT/application (recently used files or similar) and then save it where y
... See more
You have not mentioned which application you were using when translating but I assume that it is a CAT.
Have you tried to open the CAT (or other application if not CAT) and see where is the default location for saving your work? Unless you specified some other location when you closed the CAT/application, then that should be where you find it.

Otherwise maybe you can reopen the target file using the same CAT/application (recently used files or similar) and then save it where you want it?

Best of luck - it is so annoying to lose work when it is (almost) completed!

Regards,

Mike
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you click Jun 2, 2012

on Microsoft Office Word 2007 you will find the most recent files...

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
German to English
+ ...
Windows Explorer Jun 3, 2012

In Windows XP I would do it like this, and Windows 7 is probably similar:
1. Start Windows Explorer (if it's not already a shortcut on your desktop, I would use the keyboard shortcut Windows+E or Start - All programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer) (the "Windows" key is next to the Ctrl key bottom left of the keyboard).
2. If you have not only disk drive C: but further ones like D:, E:, click on the one you are using so that Explorer is "looking" at it.
3. Click the "Search"
... See more
In Windows XP I would do it like this, and Windows 7 is probably similar:
1. Start Windows Explorer (if it's not already a shortcut on your desktop, I would use the keyboard shortcut Windows+E or Start - All programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer) (the "Windows" key is next to the Ctrl key bottom left of the keyboard).
2. If you have not only disk drive C: but further ones like D:, E:, click on the one you are using so that Explorer is "looking" at it.
3. Click the "Search" button or press Ctrl+F to start a search ("F" for "Find").
4. Specify the whole or part of the file name, if you know it.
5. Use the "Date" option to specify the range of dates to search (e.g. probably the last 3 days in your case).
6. Do the search and when it stops, find the file you want in the list of search results.
7. Note which folder it is in, and if it's the wrong one, move to the right one.

HTH (Hope That Helps)
Oliver
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I find a recent document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »