Malfunctions in Word 2003
ناشر الموضوع: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 15:55
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Jul 31, 2011

On the start screen of MS Word 2003 the vertical ruler has all of sudden no slider arrows. This makes the starting template for a new file, i.e. the empty sheet, look somewhat compressed and the grey corner markings are pushed up and down to the rims or, more precisely, the rims are pushed up and down towards the corner markings. By opening "page setup" the margin values are as before, about 2.5 for either - top, below, right and left. But while on the template page the margins for left and rig... See more
On the start screen of MS Word 2003 the vertical ruler has all of sudden no slider arrows. This makes the starting template for a new file, i.e. the empty sheet, look somewhat compressed and the grey corner markings are pushed up and down to the rims or, more precisely, the rims are pushed up and down towards the corner markings. By opening "page setup" the margin values are as before, about 2.5 for either - top, below, right and left. But while on the template page the margins for left and right really show these values, the top and lower margins are practically curtailed and the template has no more the shape of A4, but is slightly flattened, with the corner markings almost touching the upper and lower rims.

The paper format gives correctly A4, and test changes to letter or legalese do not affect the display situation. And, strangely. changes of the margin values are accepted for right and left - and for those the horizontal ruler has still the sliding arrows - but such changes, no matter whether up or down, are ignored and, as said, the vertical slider has no adjustable arrows any more - just numbers.

At the same time, I noticed that the question field in the upper right corner allows typing in of a question, but on clicking on "search" the questions disappears and a bold input cursor appears. - Parallel to these problems, the Google Toolbar was no longer visible also it was activated. After reinstallation, it has now resurfaced.

These hitches have appeared within the last 20 hours. I have checked in system restore, that there have been tons of MS "Software Distribution Service 3.0" activities going on over the last months. There are also hints in Google that these activities have caused problems for other people. I therefore ran two system restore procedures, for two and four days back - but with no result in MS Word.

I have also tried twice to reinstall Office 2003. - On the first occasion I clicked "Repair existing installation" - with no result. On the second occasion I clicked "New installation". But after the procedure, the system announced that "Repair" - not "New installation" - had been successful, and there was again no improvement for the Word display.

Has anyone had similar problems and/or knows a solution for this? - And I would also like to know whether Office has to be uninstalled first before getting a new installation - and if such an operation can be done without complications.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2003)
بولندي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Did you try to rename the Normal.dot? Jul 31, 2011

Just try to rename the Normal.dot to for example _Normal.dot and test Word behavior. Usually it should return to normal. Then using the Organizer function in Word you can try to restore the content of the previous Normal.dot you renamend to the newly created Normal.dot (Word creates always a Normal.dot - so if you rename it, Word creates simply a new one with default settings).

Roland Nienerza

أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Malfunctions in Word 2003 Jul 31, 2011

Thank you for your advice.

I checked out in Google for the Normal.dot and located - over Start > Run > %appdata%\microsoft\Vorlagen - a collection of Normal.dots. I renamed one in the way you described but had to close Word before the change was accepted. After restarting Word it was immediately clear, that nothing had changed - because the vertical ruler had still no sliding arrows and the upper and lower corner markings were still squeezed to the margins. And Page Setup also does
... See more
Thank you for your advice.

I checked out in Google for the Normal.dot and located - over Start > Run > %appdata%\microsoft\Vorlagen - a collection of Normal.dots. I renamed one in the way you described but had to close Word before the change was accepted. After restarting Word it was immediately clear, that nothing had changed - because the vertical ruler had still no sliding arrows and the upper and lower corner markings were still squeezed to the margins. And Page Setup also does not react to different values for the upper and lower margins. - A positive result however was obtained for the Help Questions Field - which functions now normally again.

After this I closed Word again and deleted the three Normal.dots in appdata/Microsoft/Templates completely. - But upon reopening Word the problems remain as before.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2003)
بولندي إلى ألماني
+ ...
To which view are you referring? Jul 31, 2011

In Word 2003 you have:
- Normalansicht
- Weblayoutansicht
- Seitenlayoutansicht
- Gliederungsansicht
- Lesemoduslayout

In which of those modes does your problem occur? Did you try to change settings in Extras - Optionen?

Roland Nienerza

أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
This is one of the two and a half things - Aug 1, 2011

that even I know about Word.

I am rather exclusively using the normal view - even when applying Workbench - and the corner markings do not even exist in those other views anyway, as far as I know. But I had checked indeed for the other views and the problem is the same, with the starting curser in a new document appearing directly below the rim, the ruler not having the sliding arrows and changes in Page Setup being
... See more
that even I know about Word.

I am rather exclusively using the normal view - even when applying Workbench - and the corner markings do not even exist in those other views anyway, as far as I know. But I had checked indeed for the other views and the problem is the same, with the starting curser in a new document appearing directly below the rim, the ruler not having the sliding arrows and changes in Page Setup being only accepted for right and left margin, but not heeded for upper and lower margin.

For clarity I have to add that this problem appears only on the start screen. On opening existing documents the margins show as usurally, with correct positions of the corner markings.
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
اليابان
Local time: 22:55
ياباني إلى أنجليزي
Try starting Word in Safe Mode to disable all add-ins... Aug 1, 2011

Another consideration is the add-ins you are using. You mentioned the Google Toolbar: is that a Word add-in? In any case, add-ins(additional templates that include optional functions, menus, etc.) can also become corrupted and cause problems, so I would try the following:

1) Start Word in Safe Mode (hold down the CTRL key while you launch Word 2003), which disables all add-ins(if you get a dialog asking to enter Safe Mode, select [Yes]). You may have to select the New
... See more
Another consideration is the add-ins you are using. You mentioned the Google Toolbar: is that a Word add-in? In any case, add-ins(additional templates that include optional functions, menus, etc.) can also become corrupted and cause problems, so I would try the following:

1) Start Word in Safe Mode (hold down the CTRL key while you launch Word 2003), which disables all add-ins(if you get a dialog asking to enter Safe Mode, select [Yes]). You may have to select the New document icon to open a blank page.

2) Check and see if your verticle ruler behaves correctly. If it does, then one of your add-ins/templates is the culprit, so next you can:

3) Re-enable(check the checkbox for) the add-ins in Tools > Templates and Add-ins(or its equivalent) one-by-one and check the vertical ruler display every time until the problem crops up again. When it does, you will know which add-in is causing the problem.

4) If you are able to isolate a single add-in as the source of the problem, then try re-installing/replacing that add-in to fix the problem.

If you recently added or upgraded an add-in, then that is the most likely suspect, otherwise you have to troubleshoot the problem by disabling and re-enabling add-ins as above.

Add-ins may or may not be the issue here, especially since it only happens on the start screen, but please post if/when you resolve this issue.
MGrant

[Edited at 2011-08-01 01:47 GMT]
Collapse

This is just a guess Aug 1, 2011

but take a look at this Word support article:

My top margin is missing

Is this what you are having problems with?

Roland Nienerza

أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
@ Michael - Aug 1, 2011

Thank you for your proposal of a cure for the matter.

The Google Toolbar is an IE related add-in and to my knowledge does not directly affect Word. I had just mentioned it as I had and have the suspicion that these numberless Software Distribution Service activities, possibly coming over Security Essentials, could have been the cause.

In the meantime the thing has become even more unpleasant. As I had written already I had started to uninstall and reinstall Office 2003.
... See more
Thank you for your proposal of a cure for the matter.

The Google Toolbar is an IE related add-in and to my knowledge does not directly affect Word. I had just mentioned it as I had and have the suspicion that these numberless Software Distribution Service activities, possibly coming over Security Essentials, could have been the cause.

In the meantime the thing has become even more unpleasant. As I had written already I had started to uninstall and reinstall Office 2003. This curiously led first to Word changing from De surface to default En. Then back to De and the margins with corner markings were even correctly placed again. -

But, as it goes in the virtual world, these operations unearthed a simmering problem with the authenticity of that Office 2003 copy bought over ebay in 2007. And so I lost first access to Outlook and, after trying to solve that issue, I have lost Office access altogether - and have now just bought over Amazon a new copy - because I am best off with 2003.

The immediate issue for this posting is thus indirectly solved or better has evolved into an even bigger one.

But I will remember your proposed procedure of checking for the add-in situation and thank you again for it.

Best regards

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Roland Nienerza

أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
@ Uros - Aug 1, 2011

This looks really good indeed.

As I have just written above the problem was for a moment almost solved and has now even deteriorated.

But the hints in that Microsoft article could have been useful. It seem to describe the problem rather well. I had even thought of this matter with fusing or disconnecting pages in Word. - But hopefully the newly bought version will be without such hitches.

Thanks!

Roland Nienerza

Roland Nienerza

أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Uros was right - Aug 8, 2011

For a closing remark.

The link provided by Uros and leading to the explanation for this hitch on the MS Office website was indeed right.

It actually was this little issue of pointing and clicking between two pages in order to toggle a continuous or a separate page display. This had puzzled me years ago and I had no problems since to restore the separate display whenever it had disappeared within a a file of several pages. The problem here was that the continuous display
... See more
For a closing remark.

The link provided by Uros and leading to the explanation for this hitch on the MS Office website was indeed right.

It actually was this little issue of pointing and clicking between two pages in order to toggle a continuous or a separate page display. This had puzzled me years ago and I had no problems since to restore the separate display whenever it had disappeared within a a file of several pages. The problem here was that the continuous display appeared on the start of Word, with just one empty page on the screen - and it simply hadn't occurred to me that the adjustment can be practised, even for just one single page, by pointing and clicking in the same way on either the upper or the lower rim.

That's how it goes in IT things. - A tiny issue developing into almost a week of drudgery, with Office lost due to a hampered Windows Installer routine and much trouble just in order to return to the point from where one had started.

Thanks again to all contributors.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Malfunctions in Word 2003

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »