Changing the language/font in one batch in a PPT (text in frames)
Autor wątku: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 21:55
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Nov 22, 2010

Hello,

I need to translate a Powerpoint from English into French.

My source document is written in a font, Dotum, that is not 100% compatible with the French alphabet (accentuated letters are not handled properly), and some parts of the document are not set up with the correct language.

The whole text is in frames (several frames per slide).

I would like to change the whole source file to another font (Arial) and to the English language, bef
... See more
Hello,

I need to translate a Powerpoint from English into French.

My source document is written in a font, Dotum, that is not 100% compatible with the French alphabet (accentuated letters are not handled properly), and some parts of the document are not set up with the correct language.

The whole text is in frames (several frames per slide).

I would like to change the whole source file to another font (Arial) and to the English language, before translating the file with a CAT tool.

I know how to change the font/language for the whole file when the text is not in frames (selecting the entire text in the left pane, then setting up the font, language etc. for the whole document - see for instance http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/7471-how_do_i_check_spelling_in_powerpoint_how_do_i_set_the_language_for_the_whole_text.html#46378) but the trick does not work for my current file, due to the frames I assume.

Would anyone know how to deal with such files?

Just in case, I run PPT 2010 on Windows 7.

Many thanks.

[Edited at 2010-11-22 20:07 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
francuski > angielski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Macro Nov 22, 2010

Our colleague Terry Richards some time ago sent me a very handy little macro for changing the language globally — you'd need to modify it slightly to suit your language pair. I'm sure if you contacted him, he'd be only too pleased to share it with you.

Caveat: I've been successfully using it with Office XP, I don't know whether or not it would be compatible with your more recent software!

Regarding the font, can't help there, I'm afraid. Maybe, if a 'sty
... See more
Our colleague Terry Richards some time ago sent me a very handy little macro for changing the language globally — you'd need to modify it slightly to suit your language pair. I'm sure if you contacted him, he'd be only too pleased to share it with you.

Caveat: I've been successfully using it with Office XP, I don't know whether or not it would be compatible with your more recent software!

Regarding the font, can't help there, I'm afraid. Maybe, if a 'style' was used consistently, you could possibly edit that...? Just a thought, off the top of my head!

Bon courage !

[PS: this macro does, specifically, handle text in tex boxes]

[PPS: another thought: why not extract all the text using Werecat (works under W7??), make the changes in good ol' Word, and thn send the text back into PPT? Might save a lot of fiddling around, and I know I personally find it a whole lot easier for translating using Wordfast (but should work fine with other CAT's too)

[Edited at 2010-11-22 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Francja
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
style Nov 22, 2010

Merci !

I never tried Werecat, but I don't think I can use it here: I am supposed to send back the clean file (ppt) and the bilingual file, as a .ttx (Trados' TagEditor).

I will try to contact Terry Richards.

With regards to the style, the "master slide", which I only see at the end of the translation process through Trados, is in Korean(*). I assume this is where the font(s) are setup but I don't feel very comfortable changing that master sl
... See more
Merci !

I never tried Werecat, but I don't think I can use it here: I am supposed to send back the clean file (ppt) and the bilingual file, as a .ttx (Trados' TagEditor).

I will try to contact Terry Richards.

With regards to the style, the "master slide", which I only see at the end of the translation process through Trados, is in Korean(*). I assume this is where the font(s) are setup but I don't feel very comfortable changing that master slide. Especially since I am not familiar with Powerpoint, and can't really understand what corresponds to what!

Many thanks, Tony

(*) I didn't get into details in my original post, but I already translated several files in this project, and my English files are in fact translations themselves, from Korean. It looks like the first translator partly kept the original format. Up to now I changed the font/language manually for each generated target file, slide by slide (several hundreds of slides in total!) and I would really love to be able to do it in one go for the few files that remain!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
francuski > angielski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure, but... Nov 22, 2010

I'm not familiar enough with Trados workflow to know properly, but I'd have thought if you did the Werecat export, translated, and then re-imported using Werecat, you'd end up with the desired result: a monoloingual translated PT + an (intermediate) uncleaned .doc file, which would surely be all they needed for TM purposes?

PS: Werecat, even though the user interface is not terribly user-friendly or intuitive, actually works astonishingly well (or always has for me!) — just have t
... See more
I'm not familiar enough with Trados workflow to know properly, but I'd have thought if you did the Werecat export, translated, and then re-imported using Werecat, you'd end up with the desired result: a monoloingual translated PT + an (intermediate) uncleaned .doc file, which would surely be all they needed for TM purposes?

PS: Werecat, even though the user interface is not terribly user-friendly or intuitive, actually works astonishingly well (or always has for me!) — just have to be meticulously careful not to add or remove any hard returns, otherwise it can be the devil to sort out

Let me know if you need any off-forum help

[Edited at 2010-11-22 21:13 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Francja
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
bilingual file Nov 22, 2010

Tony M wrote:
you'd end up with the desired result: a monoloingual translated PT + an (intermediate) uncleaned .doc file, which would surely be all they needed for TM purposes?

Thank you Tony, in fact the client really wants a *.ttx (even a TMX won't do... although to me serves the same purpose - I assume they have a reason for working only with TagEditor).

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Francja
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Macro sent Nov 23, 2010

Note for others that may be interested:

I don't have PPT 2010 so, obviously, have never tested it. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work but, if it doesn't, I will gladly refund everything you paid for it

T.

Aude Sylvain
Francja
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
macro received Nov 23, 2010

Many thanks again Terry!

And I confirm it works with PPT 2010.

[Edited at 2010-11-23 09:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the language/font in one batch in a PPT (text in frames)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »